Where Is Microsoft's New Found Love For PC Gaming?

• Thread starter Deleted member 702178
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 702178

We heard at E3 how Microsoft are back in love with PC gaming yet here we are Gamescom and the MS conference was pretty much all about Xbox One. Who are MS trying to kid?

All we are getting from MS so far is a remake of an old Gears game which won't even launch at the same time as the XB1 version, Fable Legends which is probably coming to pc because it's f2p, and admittedly Halo Wars 2.

To me that isn't much love.

There was a segment in the Xbox conference where they said all the games about to be shown were also coming to Windows 10. There was quite a few. Mostly indies mind but still quite a few.

I definitely think they are making an effort. Made easier by the way windows 10 and the X1 work together.

That's not MS showing love for PC though. Indie devs are exactly that - independent of MS.

MS showing love for PC would be bringing more first party titles to the platform.

That's not MS showing love for PC though. Indie devs are exactly that - independent of MS.

MS showing love for PC would be bringing more first party titles to the platform.

MS are slightly hamstrung by competing in the console market as well as the PC market. It will always be a tough balancing act to get enough exclusives to make their console appealing enough to purchase while also keeping PC gamers happy. To an extent they don't need to break their backs to appease PC gamers because the vast majority of us game on Windows platforms anyway, regardless of how many or how few games are actually developed/published by MS.

Why are they hamstrung? MS don't really make any money on the console so from a business and economic viewpoint why would they care which platform a game sells on. They are making the same profit per game on a combined larger platform base.

If they released all the X! games onto pc then PC gamers wouldnt buy an X1. I'm happy with the way it is and its good to see some games come across.

If they released all the X! games onto pc then PC gamers wouldnt buy an X1. I'm happy with the way it is and its good to see some games come across.
But as I said, why should MS care because they don't make any money from console sales anyway. It's not like everyone would stop buying XB1 because there are other advantages anyway.

But as I said, why should MS care because they don't make any money from console sales anyway. It's not like everyone would stop buying XB1 because there are other advantages anyway.
Its not just about Hardware sales though is it?

A tonne of money is made from the software on those systems. So to get more sales they need to sell the hardware.

The same tonne of money they could make from software sales via the xbox app on Windows 10. What difference does it make to MS which revenue stream the same amount of money is coming from.

They make a direct licencing cost on their consoles for each software title they sell on XBOX. They cannot enforce that on PC, they only make money on a copy of Windows being sold.

Their love for PC games comes in improving DirectX and development tools for Windows, not for producing exclusive games.

Also how are they going to generate as much revenue through the Windows Store, when the PC market is already saturated through STEAM. Every other competitor has fallen by the wayside (Desura, Impulse/Gamestop and many others) and Microsoft know that they cannot compete with a couple of exclusive titles, EA and Ubisoft have already tried that and aren't really getting anywhere apart from forcing gamers to use a different launcher for their games.

Personally I will take improvements to DirectX and development tools over a few first party games anyday.

A great debate. Personally I don't feel that Directx shows their love for PC games but I take your point.

It just seems odd to me to not offer games like, just for example, Forza 6 for Windows when it would actually cost very little to do. In fact I saw a Forza demo running on Windows so the code is already there. Those who will buy it on XB1 will still do so and then you increase your revenue by selling on Windows too.

You talk about Steam and you have a very good point but I would happily ditch it for the xbox app on Windows 10 which I really like. Add more xbox live features to it and get more developers interested and using it instead of Steam would be an easy decision for me. I hate the UI of steam.

I do remember GFWL. I didn't have an issue with it but the xbox app is already much better than that.

I don't own a XB1. The only exclusives I would be interested in are Forza and Gears but I can't justify a £300 console for 2 games. I do miss Forza though. For me, there is nothing even close to being as good on PC. The closest is probably Project Cars but IMHO that is garbage in comparison.

If they offered the same exclusive on both Xbone and PC, they would never sell the xbone versions. Who on earth would want to play a low res, 30 fps version when the better option will be available. That will mean lost revenue for MS. The other option is to set parity between PC and xbone versions, setting PC gaming back 4 years - who wants that?

Ah so that's why you want all the X1 goodness. Just without actually forking out for it.

@aslird there are plenty of multiformat titles gracing PS, XB and PC. Dodgy port aside, the PC is almost always the better version yet PC sales don't seem to have significant impact on console sales.

In terms of hardware, consoles and PCs serve very different markets, though those markets have similar interest in software. I don't think PC games sales would have much impact on console games sales.

Its quite obvious MS would love to see an app store for Windows kick off for which they can claim a cut of all sales. They nearly had it for Windows 8 but the clowns limited it to Metro apps.

Would also be interested in comparing the profit to MS of an Xbox console sold to the profit to MS of a Windows licence sold (exc Win 10 giveaways).

None of these companies care about PC gaming thats why we keep getting these ***tty console ports.

Now is the perfect time to relaunch Games for Windows (or now Xbox) Live, for the cheevos!

Now is the perfect time to relaunch Games for Windows (or now Xbox) Live, for the cheevos!

No thanks. Don't need yet another 'essential service' to have to install and log in to before a game loads up.

No thanks. Don't need yet another 'essential service' to have to install and log in to before a game loads up.

As an achievement whore, I disagree. :)

If they offered the same exclusive on both Xbone and PC, they would never sell the xbone versions. Who on earth would want to play a low res, 30 fps version when the better option will be available. That will mean lost revenue for MS. The other option is to set parity between PC and xbone versions, setting PC gaming back 4 years - who wants that?
Plenty of people only game on console and on PC they would get away with selling it through their app store at full price (£50!) and avoiding any other distributers.

I have no doubt their games for PC will be expensive but I love Halo Wars so am happy that they are going to bring it to windows 10. Might even pony up for Gears again as well.

Its not just about Hardware sales though is it?

A tonne of money is made from the software on those systems. So to get more sales they need to sell the hardware.
And Xbox Live

They make a direct licencing cost on their consoles for each software title they sell on XBOX. They cannot enforce that on PC, they only make money on a copy of Windows being sold.

Their love for PC games comes in improving DirectX and development tools for Windows, not for producing exclusive games.

Also how are they going to generate as much revenue through the Windows Store, when the PC market is already saturated through STEAM. Every other competitor has fallen by the wayside (Desura, Impulse/Gamestop and many others) and Microsoft know that they cannot compete with a couple of exclusive titles, EA and Ubisoft have already tried that and aren't really getting anywhere apart from forcing gamers to use a different launcher for their games.

Personally I will take improvements to DirectX and development tools over a few first party games anyday.
Agreed, I was going to mention DirectX and some of the other stuff you have

The win 10 store could well be the start of something (play the free xbox ones for "cheevos") im having lots of fun on the store games, asphalt 8/wordament & snap attack. Great fun lol. Whether big games will make it there is another thing wouldn't want to pay a premium tho.

I didn't have a problem with gfwl either was never any hassle but with the store games doing the same thing so simply defo wouldn't want a version of it back anyway, and thinking about i doubt any big games gears etc will end up on that store.
Still prefer steam to anything.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom