Where is Call of Duty Patch?

I heard that this patch has been completed, but isnt released!! I cant wait for it to come out because it is a great game but multiplayer was bad. If anybody played Halo 2 on xbox live they will know how awesome a setup it has, and apparently Call of Duty are using the same or similar system as halo 2 does!!

Just hurry up and release the bloody thing!!!
 

Razor

Distinguished Member
Couldnt agree more. Why has it taken this long to fix an obvious flaw. Activision it seems dont really care about its customers otherwise this would of been out weeks after the game was released.
 

Colgate7110

Active Member
Hi Michael,

While the actual development has been completed, it's undergoing testing just now and if that throws up any bugs, it'll have to go straight back to the dev team and then back to test.... No doubt it'll appear on the same day as GR:AW when the masses all abandon COD :D

Cheers,

Colin
 

m40wen

Banned
Colgate7110 said:
Hi Michael,

While the actual development has been completed, it's undergoing testing just now and if that throws up any bugs, it'll have to go straight back to the dev team and then back to test.... No doubt it'll appear on the same day as GR:AW when the masses all abandon COD :D

Cheers,

Colin

Same goes for PDZ. It looks like Ghost Recon will take all
 

signs

Banned
Colgate7110 said:
Hi Michael,

While the actual development has been completed, it's undergoing testing just now and if that throws up any bugs, it'll have to go straight back to the dev team and then back to test.... No doubt it'll appear on the same day as GR:AW when the masses all abandon COD :D

Cheers,

Colin
are these the tests they did'nt do when the game was first made?
 

ParmMann

Active Member
Unfortunately patches seem to be a real black spot for games in general.

Call of Duty 2 is not the only game in need of a patch, for both the PC and 360 versions.

Where is the DoA4 patch? One can't play that game without fear of losing all their saves games. Rumour had it the patch would be included in the UK release. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case, and I for one am still waiting for that patch.

Patches for other games? It was rumoured that there'd be a patch for PGR3 with perhaps a new car or two. No sign of that either. Would be awesome to have an update for an already superb game - perhaps even a new City?


A lot of these games are very very good, but customers really appreciate patches. It shows that the producers are interested in keeping the games up to date by adding new content and fixing flaws.
As of yet, patches are very very few and far between.
 
E

eddyellis

Guest
Can I just bring up this issue: if someone isn't connected to Live (either by choice or just not having broadband in their area) and cannot get these patches this way, do they have to go without, and put up with a sub-standard game?

Seems to me that there really should be no need for patches, as the game should be in full working order before release. Its a little unfair really....
 

Colgate7110

Active Member
Careful what you wish for ParmMann, the last thing we want is to actively appreciate patches. When MS originally launched the Xbox with the hard drive then unveiled Live, many people worried that QA would go out of the window because developers could always patch it later as is common in the PC games market. Microsoft swore blind that Live would not be used for this and I can remember a few patches on the original Xbox and we're already waiting for confirmed patches to 360 games just months after it launched.

It's one thing in the case of PGR3 to add new content in the form of new cars and cities but that's a different issue from the fixing of bugs.

It's not impossible for games to have some bugs in them but back in the days of cartridge-based games and to an extent CD-based consoles, there was no way to patch up a game once it left the manufacturing plant and QA had to be that much better. Games as pieces of software were less complex admittedly, but QA was on the whole better.

eddyellis, unfortunately without Live, the only patch available at the moment is the Xbox Backwards Compatibility update - no game specific patches so far. It also means that people without hard drives are stuck too.... If a game is re-pressed it's possible the new version will include the patched code but who knows when they actually release these updated masters.

Cheers,

Colin
 

Colgate7110

Active Member
signs said:
are these the tests they did'nt do when the game was first made?
Looking at the lag aspect, you could argue they certainly hadn't tested it on the production Live network or with any sort of high player count but they're testing a lot of new functionality here such as the lobby system. That was completely missing from the original release so it has to be tested from scratch now.

Cheers,

Colin
 
H

h3ckler k0ch

Guest
eddyellis said:
Can I just bring up this issue: if someone isn't connected to Live (either by choice or just not having broadband in their area) and cannot get these patches this way, do they have to go without, and put up with a sub-standard game?

Seems to me that there really should be no need for patches, as the game should be in full working order before release. Its a little unfair really....

Considering this particular patch is a fix for Live multiplayer, I feel you've brought this issue up in the wrong thread. However, since online services are a very big part of next-gen, and in particular Xbox 360, I have no sympathy for people who didn't take this into account when they bought a 360. Sorry.

But, if you're saying games shouldn't be released without vigarous testing and fixing, then I agree.
 

ParmMann

Active Member
Colgate7110 said:
Careful what you wish for ParmMann, the last thing we want is to actively appreciate patches. When MS originally launched the Xbox with the hard drive then unveiled Live, many people worried that QA would go out of the window because developers could always patch it later as is common in the PC games market. Microsoft swore blind that Live would not be used for this and I can remember a few patches on the original Xbox and we're already waiting for confirmed patches to 360 games just months after it launched.

It's one thing in the case of PGR3 to add new content in the form of new cars and cities but that's a different issue from the fixing of bugs.

It's not impossible for games to have some bugs in them but back in the days of cartridge-based games and to an extent CD-based consoles, there was no way to patch up a game once it left the manufacturing plant and QA had to be that much better. Games as pieces of software were less complex admittedly, but QA was on the whole better.
Very well put Colin!

PC Games definately suffer from what you've mentioned. It's very very rare that a PC game is released without at least a thousand odd bugs. :rotfl:
On the rare occasion you get something decent like Half Life 2, there are only a few bugs, but alas, it did take 6 years or so to release.

We definately don't want to see 360 games go in a similar direction. The standard of games thus far has been generally high, particularly considering they're part of the first batch. Games should only improve throughout the 360's life cycle.
I think this is where the developers become apparant. EA Games for me are always somewhat flawed, they churn out too many games too quickly for any of them to be perfect. At least, that much is true for PC, I'm not sure if they'll be the same for 360.

Less need for patches, certainly. More availability of updates, preferably.
 

Bilbob

Well-known Member
360 games will NEVER get to the point of PC games as far as bugs go.
Why? Cos it's not a PC, it's a console, and as such is a standard platform. The main reason so many bugs exist in PC games at launch is because of the non standar platform. There are literally MILLIONS of different combinations of hardware, it physically ain't possible for a game producer to test em all... and yes, tiny differences CAN make seemingly tiny code errors into whoopiing great show stoppers! PC's are a nightmare development platform, hence why people like microsoft invent things like direct x... to try and standardise things, and also why you need a 15ghz pc and 6 graphics cards to do what was acheived on xbox1... platform standardization... wonderfull :)
 
ParmMann said:
Unfortunately patches seem to be a real black spot for games in general.


Where is the DoA4 patch? One can't play that game without fear of losing all their saves games. Rumour had it the patch would be included in the UK release. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case, and I for one am still waiting for that patch.
This happened to me, i lost all my DOA4 saves, but there is a reason why this happens to people

If your DOA4 disc is in the 360 when you put it on and DOA4 loads up before you sign into your profile, there is a chance that when your profile signs in(after DOA4 has loaded) your save may be erased!!
 

holtehero

Distinguished Member
IMO the only reason for call of duty missing a proper multiplayer component was down to the game having to make the launch date that M$ set- which as we know was very aggressive.

Some publishers delayed games such as GRAW but the statistic that 70% of people who bought a 360 also bought COD2 shows how popular the game was and why it wasn't delayed until ready.

I agree that we don't want the situation that occurs with the PC when all new games seem to suffer from a multitude of patches, however I think you will find that more games will have patches to fix minor issues as developers find their feet with the platform - though you could argue the situation with COD2 isn't minor.
 

nutter45

Active Member
I agree with you pretty much 100% there Holte. At least they got the single player pretty much spot on, apart from the delete save game bug :mad:

Should be like getting a new game when this patch comes out :thumbsup: Although I suspect GRAW will have a far greater appeal :rolleyes:
 

signs

Banned
some very good points made in this thread.. but back to the main one....................where is the patch?
 

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
signs said:
cheers,..any idea how long this might take? been waiting five months so far
Wow! Special pre-release 360 for you then, seeing as the game has only been out for three months here... (Dec 2nd). How long is a piece of string? If the patch is good and passes all the test first time, the patch may be out tomorrow. If it's bad and need more work, it'll be out in a couple more weeks. You've waited this long, what's a few more days matter?
 

Bilbob

Well-known Member
signs said:
oop's sorry a freudian slip ..just seems a long time :D
Oh no no no no...A freudian slip would be to say you had waited for 5 long lengths... Now THAT would be freudian :D
 
K

krlock2

Guest
holtehero said:
IMO the only reason for call of duty missing a proper multiplayer component was down to the game having to make the launch date that M$ set- which as we know was very aggressive.

Some publishers delayed games such as GRAW but the statistic that 70% of people who bought a 360 also bought COD2 shows how popular the game was and why it wasn't delayed until ready.

I agree that we don't want the situation that occurs with the PC when all new games seem to suffer from a multitude of patches, however I think you will find that more games will have patches to fix minor issues as developers find their feet with the platform - though you could argue the situation with COD2 isn't minor.

i concur entirely. there was huge pressure to get cod2 out. the game is superb in my opinion, though its very clear that the multiplayer section was not addressed due to time pressure. this is in regard to multiplayer options. in regard to lag, microsoft have stated that a last minute change to the 360's operating system produced some unexpectedly bad results for COD2 online and that is one reason why the lag problem exist.... although i have to say whenever i am hosting a lobby, the game NEVER gets laggy, with my good speed wifi connection.

i think in just this one case, i can better understand how the current situation has arisen. and can therefore be more accepting. would sure be nice if they had released that patch already though, so we could all stop talking about it and all start playing it!
 

Razor

Distinguished Member
krlock2 said:
i concur entirely. there was huge pressure to get cod2 out. the game is superb in my opinion, though its very clear that the multiplayer section was not addressed due to time pressure. this is in regard to multiplayer options. in regard to lag, microsoft have stated that a last minute change to the 360's operating system produced some unexpectedly bad results for COD2 online and that is one reason why the lag problem exist.... although i have to say whenever i am hosting a lobby, the game NEVER gets laggy, with my good speed wifi connection.

i think in just this one case, i can better understand how the current situation has arisen. and can therefore be more accepting. would sure be nice if they had released that patch already though, so we could all stop talking about it and all start playing it!


If you are the Host the game never gets Laggy for you, but may for others.

Cheers for the explainintion of why the game lags out. I didnt know that. :thumbsup:
 

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom