Where is Bluray heading?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Kammando90, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Kammando90

Kammando90
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    a

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. wiz

wiz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,163
    For me it just hasn't taken off the way DVD did. Both had slow starts but bluray will always be hampered by it's price and with the advent of streaming it's gonna decline...shame!

3. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,841
    I know you're new, but do we really need another of these threads again?:boring:

p.s Please don't start a 'What's the best Blu-ray for PQ/AQ' thread:facepalm:
    ;)

4. mentasm

mentasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    I thought I'd just stumbled into the Amazon customer discussion boards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,997
    Blu-ray is currently the best way to watch films on disc,the main reason for the slow uptake is that when Dvd was first brought out it was a whole new thing for the public Vhs vs dvd was a massive difference in picture quality viewed on a decent crt tv.I remember seeing it for the first time and hearing it in 5.1 sound(and i remember the dvd players bundles with 50 films...bad lol)...when i worked at Sony centre it was a massive thing selling tvs,surround sound systems it was great...then Plasmas/lcd appered there was a massive uptake in this...but i dont know if it is me thinking this but things seemed to change....dvds could be upscaled,peoples attitudes changed with it they thought that if they had a Hd tv then they were watching HD all the time(we used to hammer this home to joe public in a nice way of course) then Blu-Ray discs came out and people were moaning about the prices(by that time the internet had taken hold and most people were on the ("cheapest price possible")...and now we have amazing sound and picture but i feel that joe bloggs seems to moving backwards soundbars anyone? uncompressed audio via a decent setup will always sound better.Im sorry for the little rant...i dont work in retail any more(i run a pub now) but i still keep upto date on everything...but for me disc based formats will always hold a place in my heart9and yes i do use Netflix and lovefilm instant)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  6. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,845
    If licensing costs were reduced (or eliminated) more films would be on Blu-ray and prices would drop.

7. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,223
    That was actually quite a nice rant. I hope you're just as concerned about the beer in your pub. I quite like German bier and Kilkenny. If you serve them I'll visit your pub. :laugh:

Blu is often cheaper than DVD was when it first came out even before inflation is taken into account. DVD was way cheaper than VHS and Beta when they were first around. Most DVDs were £15+ but I see Blus well below this price. The cheapest Blu I've seen was a Micheal Jackson release at £2.00 in HMV. Compared to a £50 to £60 VHS over 30 years ago Blu is damn cheap. It may well be the last disc system before the internet completely takes over but it's a damn good last hurrah.

Bri

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. HugoFJH

HugoFJH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I cant see blu being replaced by downloads (unless you are not comparing the same product). HD downloads averaging 20GB / film is just not viable for majority of internet users. The infrastructure just isnt in place yet (and I doubt will be for a few years).

TV's are getting bigger and bigger and therefore dvd's are starting to become obviously unwatchable even for those that dont care about image quality so much.

Its good to see the average cost of a blu decreasing so rapidly (where I am in London the cost of a blu is directly comparable to a trip to Odeon , and put it like that I think everyone is a winner)

9. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,997
    Thank you Bri,and yes I do take pride in the beer I.serve I'm new to the running a pub thing it will be a year in may.But I've always had an interest in it due to years of djing and looking at things around me. :)

10. quarry2006

quarry2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Where is this pub?!

I agree that less people seem to have made the leap from DVD to Blu-ray. I think Joe Average sees things in a very superficial way. So, when DVD replaced VHS, the thinking was "Well, these use up less space on the shelf for starters and also I can get DVDs of films that I've bot been able to find on VHS. And, yeah, the picture really is a lot better than tape." Blu-ray, to your average person, is just another disc. I think the improvement in picture and sound is negligible to Jo Average (remember, a lot of people who converted to DVD are still listening to them through the speakers on their TV).

11. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,997
    Yes I'm in total agreement with you on that.I'm just amazed at the technology we have at our fingertips.Just seems to be taken for granted.it's just nice that we still have people who keep a passion for what we enjoy...you just can't beat that feeling of putting the silver platter into a player and sitting back and watching a film.Oh my pub is in mansfield in Nottinghamshire by the way. :)

12. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,845
    For comparison how many people buy sausages from cheap shops?

13. Kammando90

Kammando90
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think the main reason Bluray is having a difficult time is torrent. Its just so much easier to click and download for free instead of going to the store and looking if the movie you want is out on BD or out of stock then you have to pay full price for it ($10-$40) and the store has to be open. Torrents are like this: Almost any show, anytime of the day, for free.

The fact that video rental stores are no more is another reason Bluray is not picking up, you either pay full price or you don't get to use your bluray player. Another major reason is that some movie suck on BD. I once got a movie just to see how a Bluray looks like. It might as well have been on VHS , this was maybe in 08 or 09. Recently I got Da Vinci Code and a recent HDTV, and I can see the difference. With such transfer quality the average guy just does not see the reason to buy a BD. There are people that can not tell if the movie is in HD or not(including myself) in many cases.

That and the lacking BD library compared to VHS and DVD. Its almost 8 years s since BD was out on the market, when 8 years passed on DVD, it KILLED VHS.

The only way I see BD picking up is for prices to go down, I believe prices should be $5-$15 or £3 -£9

14. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,845
    That links to my comment about licensing costs.

15. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    If BD prices were to all suddenly drop to £5 this place would be full of threads where people find them for £4. These prices won't fund a decent restoration.

16. Iain42

Iain42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,185
    The cost of blu-rays (and dvd's too) is a huge part of the problem as far as I'm concerned.

What the manufacturers and film makers should be doing is slashing the costs, and their profit margins per disc, to increase the volume of sales. Make piracy economically worthless, and they could maintain their profits by increased volume of sales. Instead we can all see how we are being ripped off (as someone who spent over £100 on blu-rays on Wednesday). I have a certain amount I can spend on discs, and if that buys me one per week, that's what it will be, but if the price comes down, I'll buy more discs.

17. captainarchive

captainarchive
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,076
    I don't think Blu ray is a successor to DVD. If you look at past formats there has only been one dominant format per generation, Vinyl, Tape, Disc. For each of these formats they tried to introduce a better quality version for the audiophile or videophile but it never caught on with the general public. And like Blu ray you had to buy new equipment to play it. So with Vinyl there was Quadrophonic sound LPs and DBX LPs, for tape there was DAT and Super-VHS, each were improvments on ordinary LPs, compact cassettes and VHs but they were more expensive and you had to buy new equipment. Having said that BD is far more successful than the previous attempts at introducing a improved version of a format.

I also think BD hasn't taken off in the same way as DVD because when it was launched the mass public didn't have big collections of films and shows on VHS which became redundant. A lot more people have built up collections of DVDs and they're not about to throw them out and replace them with BDs.

18. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,845
    Especially as DVDs play in a Blu-ray player, you used to have to decide between players.

19. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,997
    Yes I'm in total agreement with you on that.I'm just amazed at the technology we have at our fingertips.Just seems to be taken for granted.it's just nice that we still have people who keep a passion for what we enjoy...you just can't beat that feeling of putting the silver platter into a player and sitting back and watching a film.Oh my pub is in mansfield in Nottinghamshire by the way.

20. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,841
    Deja vu?
    post #11

How many pints have you had today? :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  21. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,997
    It does cost money though,you have to pay for advertising,distribution costs,the people who Have to press and prosses the discs,then.pay a licence for the audio codes.downloads will never die because people love the thrill of Getting it for nothing...real film buffs will gladly pay to own a hard copy with the artwork,extras...I could give you an example I was after a film called Venom Mr downloading helped me to find it.now I could have downloaded it for free...but I brought it on dvd at a cost £13.99 and to me it's worth the money.I have a setup I'm proud of that I spent money on so I don't like the idea of downloading compressed copys.

22. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,997
    Lol my bad don't drink whilst on duty....coffee all the way.I will be having a few later though. :)

23. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,841
    Ah I see, Irish Coffee ;)
    :p:laugh:

24. TyneBridges

TyneBridges

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Blu-ray had great potential but its takeup is limited by quite a few factors:
    • Price. There's no reason why discs should be so much more expensive than DVDs. If manufacturers phased out DVD players in favour of Blu-ray, it would encourage the format
    • Navigation that is slower and less user-friendly than on DVD, particularly on titles with Java. How Sony and co managed to make such a mess of that aspect (and still won out over HD-DVD) is a mystery to me
    • The increasing popularity of streaming services
    • Region coding. Why are companies like Sony so obsessed with controlling world markets?
    • Many viewers are not really conscious of reproduction quality, and certainly not as critical as users of these forums
    My hope is that the format will survive, but disc publishers really need to keep their prices down (prices for many titles are at least £5 more than the equivalent DVD) and get across to the general public that a player that handles both DVDs and Blu-rays needn't cost any more than a DVD player.

25. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,841
    Considering a Blu-ray player requires 2 different lasers (including the more expensive blue/violet laser), why would it be the same price as a DVD player which only has 1 cheap red laser?

26. smackos

smackos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +699
    The difference between Blu-ray and Dvd is a simple one. DVD even at its peak never had the Internet to contend with as a viewing experience, whether we're talking about dodgy means or the major growth we've seen in streaming services.

I used to pride myself on my little BD collection. Now even at the high prices of VOD rental I tend to think why bother spending £13 to £17 on a new release that'll I'll probably only watch two or three times, when I can rent 3 or 4 different titles for the same price, out of a choice of thousands of films. That choice of tens of thousands of films BECOMES the "collection". I couldn't hope to garner that kind of collection in a lifetime. Sure we all have the odd guilty pleasure we'll watch again and again, but hand on heart conversely I know I wouldn't be the only fella here who has BD's still in their shrink wrap on the shelf too. :D:rolleyes:

Most of the population won't care about HD audio even in the slightest, even if people here do. Also aside from minor banding issues most good VOD titles are not as far off visually as some would imagine.

The basic saving grace for Blu-rays immediate future is how naff a lot of folks broandband is. If you are lucky enough like myself to have relatively cheap BB available, able to handle 1080p 5.1 films then great, but I do feel sorry for people who don't have such luxuries though.

Like all formats before it, even recent ones like HD-DVD, if a format comes to an end so be it. It doesn't stop people from enjoying their current collections..;)

27. Karlin

Karlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    Nowhere if we can't get the name right, it's Blu-ray.

It's the only HD disc format in town and I like pressed discs. End of. If i can buy them I will buy them.

We've had some great releases lately which keep things interesting and fresh but I fear nobody (the masses) has much interest outside the people reading this. I'm not sure how it compares to DVD but since most people I know don't know (or care) what a Blu-ray is and more and more Blu-rays have "DVD" plastered on them it's not looking good long term. How long term is long term? 10 or 15 years?

We'll see.

HD-DVD could have been a contender for longevity because they had the sense to have "DVD" in name. D'oh.

We'll never know.

28. captainarchive

captainarchive
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,076
  29. 200p

200p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    It's heading for the UHDTV ("4K") Blu-ray extension.

30. featherhall

featherhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,968
    Prices really aren't that more expensive than DVD so I don't see that being an issue now (it used to be). Physical media for movies will be about for ages as your average joe bloggs still doesn't know or trust downloads so blu ray is safe I would say for a good 5-10 years. Everyone I know doesn't have a blu ray player only dvd but they are only now thinking blu ray as they upgrade their TVs. So if that transition is the norm then it's a long time away until blu will disappear as these consumers will only start to buy the blu ray releases.