Where is all the widescreen!?!?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Starburst, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY are not going to spend millions replacing their current 4:3 prints with 16:9 prints, however new US imports when avaliable will be bought in the 16:9 ratio.
    New SKY productions will also be made in 16:9 and as you have seen some current movies and all new theatrical releases will be in 16:9 both on SKY1 and the dedicated movie channels. Made for TV movies and Pilots which seem to turn up on MAX a lot will probably stay 4:3.
    The terrestrial channels are leading the way with widescreen broadcasting, SKY branded channels could only afford to replace broadcast suites as and when there was a definite financial advantage in doing so, the smaller channels carried on SKY and cable will remain 4:3 for quite a while, they are run under very tight budgets.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Recently i bought sky+ and got myself a big widescreen to watch it on. Now i was of the opinion that a widescreen was the way to go because that was what sky tended to broadcast with..... so where is it!? Most of the time im watching a 4:3 image with side bars! Only the movie channels seem to be reliably widescreen..... and guess what, BBC! All my complaining about bbc and they are the best! :mad:

So why arent sky broadcasting more in widescreen? Frankly i should have bought a 4:3 tv!!

Ad

3. digitalsafari

digitalsafari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    There is nothing to replace in a broadcast suite everything has been 4:3/16:9 switchable for quite some time.

The issue is older material will be 4:3, but a little automation lets 4:3 and 16:9 play nice.

I have surprised by how many older movies are WS on Sky, albeit the ocassional hacked 2.35 P/S into 16:9 like Grey Owl.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so basically what you are saying is that there is a load of old repeats going on and that the old digital spin to get us buying widescreen tvs is really not valid yet....

Ad

ps.... another thread i started but am not the 1st poster..... weird!

5. digitalsafari

digitalsafari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well if by "quite some time" you mean a few months then yes you are correct:)
    SKY recently went through a major upgrade of their broadcast suites which allows w/s switching on more than the sports channels and one dedicated movie channel. The upgrade also allowed DD to be used on more movie channels.
    For the last few years SKY have mislead it's subscribers by stating that the percentage of w/s TV owners was only 1 on 3 so there was no requirment to move to w/s broadcasting. In reality they were not prepared to finance the upgrade of their broadcast suites while existing and new movie channel subscriptions held steady.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Yeah I was surprised to see my reply listed above your first post, the date listed for my post was hours too early which I assume caused the incorrect listing.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So not only has the general public been sold stories that digital tv means widescreen, but in fact the digital providers have been avoiding doing anything about it because it costs too much (ignoring the fact that our subs have been going up the whole time!).

Fair enough for a dvd watcher, but there are going to be a reasonable few people being persuaded to spend more money on tvs simply on the basis of digital tv being widescreen format..... thats downright dirty.

Ad

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Digital TV IS Widescreen if you count the big companies, but the little ones don't seem to care.

W/S
    BBC 1,2,3,4,N24,Cbbc,CBeebies
    ITV 1,2
    C4
    C5
    Bidup - argggggghhhhhh

4/3
    3xSky
    ITV News
    UK History*, Brightideas*
    Ftn*
    TMF*, Hits*

* These SHOULD be in widescreen as they have a number of 16x9 programmes on:thumbsdow

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok..... well i'll quit and say that 90% of the time i seem to be seeing a 4:3 image! Have to get away from sky1 i guess!

11. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sky has been showing widescreen broadcast for some time on , for example, channels like Sky Movies & Sport.

I remember reading in the Sky magazine or on sky text, a letter sent to them asking why skyone wasn't showing widescreen programmes. Their response was that they recognised that there was a demand it, but that they received more complaints about the black letterbox bars than demands for it.

This may have been a lame excuse, but a know an awful lot of people (mainly older, less technological people) who do not care about 16:9 and do not want the black bars.

Me, I want widescreen

12. clearys

clearys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sky 1 have now started broadcasting occasionally in widescreen on Cable. At first they didn't send the switch signal and you had to manually change it but recently it has been auto switching.

I think Tuesday night movies have gone W/S for the last few weeks and the odd "homemade" stuff.

It's changing - albeit very slowly

Steve

13. apwood

apwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked Sky a while back why SkyOne wasn't in w/s, and they told me it was because as far as they were concerned, more people still has 4:3 tellies than 16:9 ones.

They said when the situation changed they would follow the lead of BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 and start broadcasting in w/s.

Personally I think that's a lame excuse, and I didn't bother to point out to them that, at the time, they were quite happy to broadcast nearly all their live sport in w/s.

Still, I see that the occasional thing on SkyOne is in w/s, so let's hope they change it for all their output.

However, I can't see what anyone is complaining about re. the rest of digital's w/s output. Personally, I don't know why the hell you'd want to spend most of your time watching SkyOne anyway!!!

14. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my personal opinion, Sky are a thoroughly revolting company, who care little about customer satisfaction (or value for money) and care only about having an open tap on your bank account to collect their greedy subscriptions.

In fact, I've never known *anyone* who has had a good word to say about Sky.

Like two or three of my colleagues, that stupid dish is no longer screwed to the wall of my house and I now have a Freeview box. I couldn't see the point of paying outrageous subscriptions to receive a load of rubbish channels I wasn't interested in.

On terrestrial I don't have to pay for the rubbish channels, and I still get the only worthwhile Sky channel (Sky News).

Sorry for the rant, but Sky don't deserve their customers.

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I've been a customer of SKY for over a decade, overall I am happy with the service although it is far from perfect:)

You are certainly entitled to your opinion (although using the term "revolting" makes me wonder if the installer ran over your cat) but I have found that SKY are no better or worse than any company who have little or no competition combined with a large and growing customer base. That is certainly no excuse but perhaps understandable how easy it is for a corporate mentality to ignore/under value individual customers.
    It's an old story, if you want personal support and service than go to a small retailer otherwise take your chances with a basic box shifting store.
    There is definetly no point in paying a SKY subscription if you have no interest in the programming carried on subscription channels, thankfully Freeview is a viable option and will come into it's own when analogue is finally shut down.

I assume you got a SKY digibox via a subsidised install and when you cancelled you sold the hardware thereby recouping a large percentage of your subscription outlay:)

16. apwood

apwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say if it weren't for their sports coverage, which I must admit I'm very impressed with, I'd have a Freeview box, too.

However, if you're a footy fan, Sky has all of it so I won't be discarding the dish just yet. Same goes for Cricket.

By the way, do you get Eurosport on Freeview?

17. rulett

rulett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could not sum it up any better, i'm only with them for the excellent sports,otherwise it would be free view for me.

18. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Sky one have the best shows if your into sci fi and fantasy. Sky offer a great service and save me from the crap on regualr TV. I know its not everyones cup of tea however I could never go back to watch non cable/satillite tele.

19. apwood

apwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I can see that if Star Trek is your cup of tea then SkyOne is probably right up your street (although it's annoying C4 showed "Enterprise" in w/s and SkyOne didn't bother don't you think?). I like the odd bit of Trek myself, though in moderation.

However, 30 year-olds playing sassy American high school girls, Kirsty's Home Videos and "Probably-the-dumbest-criminals-in-the-world-ever-being-chased-and-crashing-cars!" leave me a bit cold to be honest.

Still, happy viewing all!