Where is a girl to start?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by SandraDee, Aug 28, 2006.

1. SandraDee

SandraDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everyone;

I am new to the AV Forum and am looking forward to learning as much as I can about AV.

6 months ago, I began my journey into IM and I am loving every minute of it! I now create information products and distribute them on line, which is rather remarkable in itself as the computer, for me, has always just been an easy way to play solitaire!

Now, I can actually set up websites and sell products, that's incredible.

The next step I wish to master is creating products using AV.:lesson: This is where I will need your help. I am currently working on a PC and need to make more money before I can allow myself the luxury of a Mac.

That being said, I would like to know what kind of equipment I can start out with. The bare basics, as it were.

Believe me when I say AV is entirely a new world for me but one I am very excited to be learning about.

So, if anyone would be so kind as to point me in the direction of good camcorders to use, sound devices and editing programs that would be fantastic. How exactly do I get started down this road and what equipment will I require.

Thanking you so much for your time and patience, (believe me you will need it! I ask a lot of questions!)

Sandra:lease:

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    Welcome to the forum Sandra.

Your question really needs posting in the camcorder section rather than general chat,that way you will get more people viewing your question and hopefully more answers.

Maybe a kind moderator will move this post to the relevant sub forum.

Regards

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,771
    That will be me;)

Moved from General Chat.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Hi Sandra and welcome to the forum :hiya:

No answers, just more questions I'm afraid. If you can answer them then we will be able to offer (hopefully :D ) the right advice for you.

What is your budget?
    What will you record with the cam? ie friends/family, holidays, concerts etc etc
    What are your priorities, picture quality, ease of use etc?

The 'what editing software' question has been asked loads of times so a quick search of the forum will save my worn out fingers from getting even shorter :D .

As for 'saving up for a Mac' - why? If you use a PC and know your way around it then why go through the learning curve with a Mac? Video editing on a PC is now stable and working well and has loads of different programs out there for not too much money. IMO you will have far less choice on a Mac, so you may find it more difficault to find a program that works well for you.

Mark.

5. SandraDee

SandraDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark;

I'm loving this place already...:thumbsup:

In answer to your questions...

My budget is approx. $500 - $750

I wish to use my camcorder to film "Learning Piano Techniques On Line" approx. 10 minutes in length for a series of 8 and then uploading the AV to my computer for editing and distribution.

I will search the forum for editing information as I am sure there is a lot of data available. (Plus, stubby fingers are odd!)

As far as the Mac, thank you for the heads up. It was suggested to me that a Mac offered more features and flexibility when creating on line AV products.

However, I am totally happy to stick with my tried and true, PC.

Regards,

Sandra:D