Where in the world do I start?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by StewieEatWorld, Aug 14, 2012.

1. StewieEatWorld

StewieEatWorld
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I'm wanting a great set of speakers for my room, which would mainly be used for gaming, and the occasional film that would be streamed from my PC to the TV. My TV has optical out, I have an Xbox 360, a 3D Blu-Ray player and I would expect my HDMI devices to increase over the next few years.

So, my question is, what exactly should I be looking for? I want a 5.1 set, but do I need an "amplifier" or just a Blu-ray player with several HDMI inputs and one HDMI out? Or is it best to invest in an amplifier and speakers?

I've looked on comet and such and they have Blu-ray sets for £300 with HDMI in and such, but I don't think they are of the "amplifier" type.

Please help!
    Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    No matter what, you need an Amplifier and Speakers, though some speakers have amplifiers build-in, and some BluRay players have amplifiers built-in.

But, it all hinges on how much money you want to spend, and what your expectations are. You can't expect £1000 performance if you budget is £100. So, expectation are very important. You can get relatively low cost Home Cinema systems of the Comet variety, and while they will be impressive in the beginning, chance are you won't be satisfied for long. Though I speculate.

So, again, budget is really the predicting factor. To get a system that will give you some longer satisfaction, I would say you need about £800. I know, that's a lot of money. However, there are systems for much less of the type you seem to be describing, and many with basic expectations find these fine. But again, it is all down to budget.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

3. whos mother

whos mother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    as steve said its all down to budget but if you go second hand you can get some cracking deals,even stuff just a year or two old can be got for a song and dont think its lacking performance wise at worst you miss a few features (that I dont want anyway:D)

I have ended up with an £800 amp that cost me £200,some £800 floorstanders might as well be new for £200 that match a surround set up of floorstanders and sub that I got for £150 initially £700.None of the items are old really all the speakers were boxed and practically new

new for 550 I would have next to nothing,as it is I have a 7.1 set up that would once have cost me 2 grand plus and sounds fantastic

4. StewieEatWorld

StewieEatWorld
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting.
    I've had an LG set for around 5 years now that I got as a present one year. It's got a DVD player and all of the speakers plug into the back using two thin speaker cables each. The Xbox then connects to that via red and white audio. Am I right in thinking that the LG one is one of the DVD amplifiers?

I'm really only looking for something for my bedroom, nothing incredible. But certainly something better than I have right now. So i'd say my budget would be about £200-£300, I could maybe push a bit higher.
    I'm guessing the main difference between the Comet type of surround sound and the more expensive "chubbier" amplifier is purely sound quality? Or is that totally speaker dependant?

PS. I've had a search online and I managed to find the model number of my current Surround Sound set.
    "LG LHT3602SE"

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012