Where Have My Channels Gone?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Dorset Dave, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Dorset Dave

Dorset Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Just turned on the tv to find I only have BBC tv and radio channels and ITV1 HD and Channel 4 HD. Everything else has vanished. Tried auto tuning which confirmed only 28 channels found. Puzzled as to where the rest of the commercial channels have gone. Is anyone else in the Bournemouth/Poole area having problems?

2. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Assuming you have an outdoor aerial, it may have been damaged in the high winds.

3. Dorset Dave

Dorset Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi. Thanks for your reply. It is an outdoor aerial and there were high winds last night. Have only been able to check aerial from ground level so far. It appears to be still firmly anchored to the chimney although swaying in the wind somewhat. I just assumed as I am getting some channels the aerial was not the problem.

4. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The difficulty with this sort of problem is that the aerial/cabling may seem to look OK, but it only takes a slight problem with it to cause very unpredictable results, including the loss of only some channels.

It is a pity that you retuned because you will have no way of knowing if it has returned to normal. If you had not, then if the problem had been sorted then the channels would have returned, but not now.

You may need to get an installer to take a look at it.

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Disconnect any HDMI cables you may have in the TV before retuning.

6. Dorset Dave

Dorset Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Thanks for the advice which has improved matters. I now have 92 channels but am still missing quite a few including all ITV main channels, strangely I have all ITV'+1's. Some of the returned channels badly pixelated. so may have get someone in to check out the aerial as A1944 suggested.

7. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +944
    Go over your aerial connections with a fine tooth comb and re-make any plugs and sockets that are at all dodgy. Replace / swap fly leads with others if kinked or crushed. How To Attach / Wire Up Plugs & Aerials and the whole of that web page may be useful to you.

Very often its a dodgy connection, although it may well be weather damage in this case... but it won't do too much harm to check the connections yourself before calling in an aerial technician; and it could save you a fair bit of money!

8. Dorset Dave

Dorset Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Thanks for your reply. I think it probably is weather related. The aerial has been in place for some years now. The number of channels registering with a retune varies considerably depending on whether I have the HDMI lead connected to the TV or not. Currently
    HDMI in = 6 HD channels only. HDMI out = 54 channels including some 800 numbers, but the figures and channels change with each retune. I am not able to physically inspect the aerial, a risky undertaking for a 67-year old!, and don't know anyone who could fix it if that's where the problem is. So will get a qualified installer in. If it proves an expensive job I have cable tv to fall back on, its just nice to have the free view alternative in case of cable problems. Cheers.

9. Max Skylon

Max Skylon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why does disconnecting any HDMI cables from the tv help when retuning Freeview?

10. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    HDMI cables can and do cause UHF interference. It is a very common problem.

The nature of the interference is dependent on what is being conveyed across the link and tends to be a lot worse when handling HD resolutions.

The interference leaks back into the UHF system through cables and joints and can cause the tuner to saturated.
    This can have the effect in mild cases of producing occasional dropouts ... or the interference can target specific frequencies and take out a single whole multiplex ( quite common ) or in worst cases take out all multiplexes ( Not so common, but does happen)

In cases like the problem the thread starter had, where channels have suddenly disappeared, retuning should NOT be done.
    The channel placeholders will still exist in memory, and the channels will return when the signal strength returns ( if lost because it is low) or when an interference source is removed.

If attempting to retune under interference circumstances, then the channel memory is wiped and all channel place-holders are lost. The channels will not tune in because of the interference and therefore a new channel placeholder cannot be memorised for it, so, thereafter the channel will not return even if the interference is removed... until the system can be retuned again when a known good signal is present.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Dorset Dave

Dorset Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Max, I wish I knew. There shouldn't be any connection between
    free view and cable transmissions. I am now getting the full 124 free view channels, even with HDMI cable in, but some commercial ones are still breaking up when the wind is strong, most noticeably Sky News and Pick channels. So it has to be a problem with the aerial connections as all ok in calm conditions.

Footnote: I have just read Gavtech's interesting reply. I stand corrected as it is now obvious there can be a link between free view and cable transmissios.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  12. Max Skylon

Max Skylon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info Gavtech.

postmaster - I live in the same area and transmission via Sky has been braking up slightly at the hight of the gales. We have had no Freview since December 22nd when we had a lightening strike. As we have a flat in a small block we are still waiting for the managing agent to get it sorted. I have not pushed it as we use Sky all the time, we only use Freeview as a standby!

13. Dorset Dave

Dorset Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    One advantage cable has over satellite , I suppose, is that transmissions are not affected by the weather, at least not in my experience. Hope you get freeview back soon, it's good to have an alternative viewing choice.
    If the winds get much stronger my aerial will probably end up on the Isle of Wight!

14. Max Skylon

Max Skylon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Ref. Post 12 - Now the gales on the Dorset coast have calmed down (to old fashioned 'wet and windy') I have chased the managing agent to get the aerial company to investigate why our Freeview has stopped working.

Apparently the aerial lead had become disconnected from the aerial. His view was that it was caused by the high winds. At the time I accepted this explanation but afterwards have wondered if it was not assembled correctly in the first place. The installation is only 18 months old.

Where it is connected to the aerial should the coax be supported with a clamp or does it just hang on it's connector?

15. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +944

It sounds like the installation was poorly executed then.

The cable should be tied (with outdoor insulating type tape) at regular intervals onto the supporting pole with a suitable 'maintenance loop' - see Satellite, Television, FM, DAB, Aerial, Coaxial Cable, Plugs, Sockets, Connectors & Leads Some installer make a 'pattern' of the tape as a 'signature' of their handicraft.

Cables must be clipped to walls etc.,. along the length of their route otherwise you can get damage due to movement in winds and the like.

The way a cable fixes into the water-resistant aerial termination box varies by maker but most have some form of cable strain relief incorporated. Some use a f-socket and plug so a connection could not be easily pulled out if done properly.

Of course, if the aerial fell off the pole during the storm it would likely break the cable if it did not pull it out of the connection point...

You may find Cowboys` Locker, or how to install a TV aerial, not. amusing - or not.

16. Max Skylon

Max Skylon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Rodders thanks for the info - I also found the links interesting.

Max