• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

where have all the small crt tvs gone?

malletmk2

Standard Member
Hi all

Had my Toshiba 14n51b for some time. but its had a low buzzing noise from the tv for sometime which I could not afford to get fix until now which seems too late :(
Although still technically works, I thought it was the speaker but when you mute it, its still there. and lowering the contrast doesnt work either.

I am looking to get either a 15 or 16 crt tv in my room. I cant use a LCD tv as most of my stuff is analog and would look rubbish on a lcd.

I think the other problem is, most places dont sell CRT tvs and opt to go for LCD's >_<

If anyone out there can point me in the right direction, that be great :)
Thanks.

NST

Established Member
Argos still have a few, under the Wharfedale, Mikomi and Acoustic Solutions brands. The other option is second-hand via eBay or shops like Cash XChange, charity shops, even Freecycle.

malletmk2

Standard Member
awesome, thanks for the list :)
Also, cash converters might have some deals as well.

whats interesting to note is, both Wharfedale and Mikomi have been licensed by argos. I am looking to get the Mikomi based on I need a smaller screen size to fit my room. what is the build quality and picture like on this brand? as reviews have been mixed for the : Mikomi P1471 14in CRT TV/DVD

NST

Established Member
I suppose they give an acceptable level of performance at this price point and screen size. There's not really much between them.
If you can find a good condition Sony second-hand then go for that instead. The last lot of portables Sony made had White cabinets I think.

ShadowTD

Established Member
They were silver I believe - the LS series with WEGA flat tubes. Lovely picture.

asdigi

Standard Member
Hi all

Had my Toshiba 14n51b for some time. but its had a low buzzing noise from the tv for sometime which I could not afford to get fix until now which seems too late :(
Although still technically works, I thought it was the speaker but when you mute it, its still there. and lowering the contrast doesnt work either.

I am looking to get either a 15 or 16 crt tv in my room. I cant use a LCD tv as most of my stuff is analog and would look rubbish on a lcd.

I think the other problem is, most places dont sell CRT tvs and opt to go for LCD's >_<

If anyone out there can point me in the right direction, that be great :)
Thanks.
I think I purchased one of those a couple of years ago, is it silver with the power button in the bottom centre with a blue led? I returned mine a couple of days after purchasing it as it was making a buzzing sound too which was irritating. It was also a vestel made unit.

I would avoid purchasing a new crt tv now, none of the electronics used in them are of high quality, I would recommend looking out for a used one instead from Sony or Panasonic. They'll give you a much better quality picture and sound, and no doubt last longer! :)

malletmk2

Standard Member
I think I purchased one of those a couple of years ago, is it silver with the power button in the bottom centre with a blue led? I returned mine a couple of days after purchasing it as it was making a buzzing sound too which was irritating. It was also a vestel made unit.

I would avoid purchasing a new crt tv now, none of the electronics used in them are of high quality, I would recommend looking out for a used one instead from Sony or Panasonic. They'll give you a much better quality picture and sound, and no doubt last longer! :)

spot on! thats the model I had. I how did you know its made by vestel? And why did toshiba even let a 3rd party company make that tv? :(

clemenzina

Established Member
You could try joining your local Freecycle* group and posting a Wanted there. I got a very old 14" Matsui that way, which works really great with a Freeview box attached.

*Google it. The only thing is you have to offer something before you are allowed to ask for something, but your offer does not have to be taken up. You can offer anything that would otherwise go to the rubbish dump.

clemenzina

malletmk2

Standard Member
its uber disappointing to know that the new crts arent as good as the old ones :(
My bro had 2 Matsui's. ones a silver with a VHS combi and has been going strong since 8 years+ which is freakin awesome. he gave the other black one away >_<
I will try Freecycle, there seems a lot of wanted stuff but it flys out soo fast!

Bri8463

Established Member
Text deleted. Please do not use the general forums to try and sell things as there are dedicated areas for that

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom