Where has Panasonic DVD Movie Album SE gone?

Guy of Gisbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to copy some VHS tapes to my Panasonic hard disk recorder, then copy them to DVD-Ram discs and then onto my computer using 'Panasonic DVD Movie Album'.

However, I cannot find this software now, searching old links it seems to have disappeared. There are some updates available but this is no good if you do not have the original software in the first place! :mad:

Can some kind soul please help me out? :lease:

Regards,

the colonel

Hello again the colonel.

See the links halfway down this page in the post from 'Moonsets'

This download is for version 3.0 which does not work on either my Vista desktop or XP laptop (I had my doubts when I saw it was such an old post).

Looking at the Panasonic website there are upgrades from 4.1/4.3 - 4.5 but nothing older.

I could do with a more recent version?

Regards,

the colonel

This download is for version 3.0 which does not work on either my Vista desktop or XP laptop (I had my doubts when I saw it was such an old post).

Looking at the Panasonic website there are upgrades from 4.1/4.3 - 4.5 but nothing older.

Regards,

the colonel

This is problematic.

V3 or V4 should work with XP.

I've not been able to get it to work on vista because you need to be able to go from V4.1 - which I've never had. .... so in that regard I have no further suggestions.

I think your best hope resides in trying to get V3 to work with XP.

Regards,

the colonel

I'm guessing you found these updates via the Panasonic.jp site?

The latest versions are no use as the releases from the Panasonic.jp will only install on a Japan release of XP or Vista.

Panaspnic Movie Album SE was released for use with Panasonic DVD-Ram camcorders.

As Gavtech says V3 should work with XP. What problem do you get?

I'm guessing you found these updates via the Panasonic.jp site?

Yes and I think others were on the Toshiba site IIRC.

The latest versions are no use as the releases from the Panasonic.jp will only install on a Japan release of XP or Vista.

Panaspnic Movie Album SE was released for use with Panasonic DVD-Ram camcorders.

As Gavtech says V3 should work with XP. What problem do you get?

Looking at my notes the error code was 'Oxff7fffff' which could have been due to a number of system errors. To be honest if Movie Album is not going to work with Vista or '7' which I will shortly upgrade to then it is not going to be much use to me. I was going to use it to archive VHS footage captured to my DVD recorder and dubbed to DVD-RAM disc and then stored to external hard drive. I read somewhere that this was the best way to do it, DVD-RAM structure is very similar to hard drive. I think the best thing for me to do would be to start a new thread on options open to me.

As always thanks for the replies guy! :thumbsup:

Regards,

the colonel

Looking at my notes the error code was 'Oxff7fffff' which could have been due to a number of system errors. To be honest if Movie Album is not going to work with Vista or '7' which I will shortly upgrade to then it is not going to be much use to me. I was going to use it to archive VHS footage captured to my DVD recorder and dubbed to DVD-RAM disc and then stored to external hard drive. I read somewhere that this was the best way to do it, DVD-RAM structure is very similar to hard drive. I think the best thing for me to do would be to start a new thread on options open to me.

As always thanks for the replies guy! :thumbsup:

Regards,

the colonel

I believe Windows 7 is more backwards compatible than Vista however I've also read that it is better to install fresh rather than upgrade a previous version.

The main reason to use DVD-Ram discs is that there is no extra encoding stage which you tend to get when transfering to DVD-R discs.

Do you intend to transfer whole tapes to a disc or just segments of them?

I believe Windows 7 is more backwards compatible than Vista however I've also read that it is better to install fresh rather than upgrade a previous version.

The main reason to use DVD-Ram discs is that there is no extra encoding stage which you tend to get when transfering to DVD-R discs.

Do you intend to transfer whole tapes to a disc or just segments of them?

I have quite a lot of boxing tapes which contain a lot of fights. I had planned to archive them to blu-ray but this medium remains expensive. However external hard drives have fallen in price which makes them quite attractive now (2TB for around £150). Trying to preserve quality as best I can I plans to use SVHS connections from the VCR through an external TBC into a hard disk Panasonic DVD recorder. That is the easy bit :rolleyes:
Preserving quality as best I can I want to transfer individual fights (edited on the Panasonic) to the external hard drive. Many of the fights are from amateur meets which were not shot on film but recorded by fans or family so quality is not the best to begin with.
On this point I am open to suggestions?

Regards,

the colonel

...To be honest if Movie Album is not going to work with Vista or '7' which I will shortly upgrade to then it is not going to be much use to me...

I just upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 and encountered problems after re-installing MovieAlbum...

When run the program I get a warning dialogue: "Failed to update system registry. Please try using REGEDIT." Then "Unknown error occurred during Decoder initialization. (Error Code:0xfffffffb) Exit an application." :-(

I thought about turning to Windows XP Mode in Windows Virtual PC, the new Windows 7 tool available to download for Windows 7 Pro, but according to the diagnostic tool says my processor doesn't support hardware-assisted virtual thingummies. (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx)

Then I found (by accident) the "Run programs made for previous versions of Windows" in Control Panel\Programs.

Using this I was able to get MovieAlbum 3 up and running, despite Windows 7 insisting it wasn't compatible.

(Another route is to open Explorer, visit C:\Program Files\Panasonic\DVD-MovieAlbumSE, right-click on the DVD-VR application and select "Troubleshoot compatibility" from the menu.)

This removes the warning/error dialogues and allows me to use the program - Hooray!

BUT it does turn the Aero features off until you exit the program. ALSO I can't get the 3DTitle to work anymore. (You select it from the right-click menu, enter the title in the dialogue and then nothing happens!)

I haven't fully tested MovieAlbum in Windows 7, but it certainly allows two titles to be joined, which is mostly what I use it for.

I'd certainly be interested if other people have found better software that can edit DVD-RAMs in this way...

I have quite a lot of boxing tapes which contain a lot of fights. I had planned to archive them to blu-ray but this medium remains expensive. However external hard drives have fallen in price which makes them quite attractive now (2TB for around £150). Trying to preserve quality as best I can I plans to use SVHS connections from the VCR through an external TBC into a hard disk Panasonic DVD recorder. That is the easy bit :rolleyes:
Preserving quality as best I can I want to transfer individual fights (edited on the Panasonic) to the external hard drive. Many of the fights are from amateur meets which were not shot on film but recorded by fans or family so quality is not the best to begin with.
On this point I am open to suggestions?

Regards,

the colonel

The best way to reserve the quality is to use XP recording mode as this will stop too many MPEG artefacts being visible.

I have been transfering my SVHS tapes to MPEG files. I find it easiest to simply record a whole 3 hour tape to the HDD then divide the title into 3 one hour parts and transfer each section via DVD-RAM and then using DVD Movie Album.

However occasionally this process fails and cannot extract the mpeg file.

So then I use VideoRedo TV Suite to extract the mpeg file from the DVD-RAM disc.

Perhaps using VideoRedo will work for you.

Regards

Hal_loe

The best way to reserve the quality is to use XP recording mode as this will stop too many MPEG artefacts being visible.

I have been transfering my SVHS tapes to MPEG files. I find it easiest to simply record a whole 3 hour tape to the HDD then divide the title into 3 one hour parts and transfer each section via DVD-RAM and then using DVD Movie Album.

However occasionally this process fails and cannot extract the mpeg file.

So then I use VideoRedo TV Suite to extract the mpeg file from the DVD-RAM disc.

Perhaps using VideoRedo will work for you.

Regards

Hal_loe

Thanks Hal that looks like being a better option. With work I am away from home this week so cannot have a 'tinker' with any DVD-RAM recordings.

Just one question, if you use Videoredo for the problem files why not use it all the time? Why bother with Movie Album?

Regards,

the colonel

Thanks Hal that looks like being a better option. With work I am away from home this week so cannot have a 'tinker' with any DVD-RAM recordings.

Just one question, if you use Videoredo for the problem files why not use it all the time? Why bother with Movie Album?

Regards,

the colonel

The reason I still use DVD Movie Album SE is that many of my recordings are just 3-4 minutes music performances, some will transfer some won't. DVD Movie Album SE allows me to transfer each video file.

VideoRedo requires a quick stream fix of the file as all the videos are in one .vro file.

Then I have to manually cut each video out of the .vro file.

Last edited:
I haven't fully tested MovieAlbum in Windows 7, but it certainly allows two titles to be joined, which is mostly what I use it for.

I'd certainly be interested if other people have found better software that can edit DVD-RAMs in this way...

The 3D Titles part of Panasonic MovieAlbum wasn't working at all. But I found after some poking around that this is because d3drm.dll is missing. (It's a file that is no longer used from Vista onwards.) Copying this file from the \windows\system32 directory on my XP partition to \Program Files\Panasonic\3DFFforDVDMA directory on my C drive (Windows 7) fixes this problem.

I'm writing this in case it helps someone else using Vista/Windows 7...

I am getting error code 0xff7fffff when using DVD-Movie Album SE to download from my panasonic VDR70 camera. This is happening on a computer that used to run this progran just fine.

I have found a couple fixes to try to get it to work, but is there any other software out there that will let me get the info off this DVD-RAM's I have for this camera? Or is DVD-Movie Album SE specific for the Panasonic camera and there is no other option?

Is there any other way known to man on how to get these videos off the discs and onto my hard drive so I can convert the to DVD format? Please help!! I have 2+ years of video that I am afraid will be lost if I can't get it off these discs!!

I am getting error code 0xff7fffff when using DVD-Movie Album SE to download from my panasonic VDR70 camera. This is happening on a computer that used to run this progran just fine.

I have found a couple fixes to try to get it to work, but is there any other software out there that will let me get the info off this DVD-RAM's I have for this camera? Or is DVD-Movie Album SE specific for the Panasonic camera and there is no other option?

Is there any other way known to man on how to get these videos off the discs and onto my hard drive so I can convert the to DVD format? Please help!! I have 2+ years of video that I am afraid will be lost if I can't get it off these discs!!

Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried reinstalling Moviealbum? ... or going back to an earlier restore point in System restore?

AVS Video Converter and it's associated suite will handle video files from RAM disc.

Download a trial from here.

Note that DVD Decrypter or ISObuster can also be used to get files off RAM disc.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried reinstalling Moviealbum? ... or going back to an earlier restore point in System restore?

AVS Video Converter and it's associated suite will handle video files from RAM disc.

Download a trial from here.

Note that DVD Decrypter or ISObuster can also be used to get files off RAM disc.

I have tried to reload and I still get the error. I will try these options. Thank you for your response!

I have tried to reload and I still get the error. I will try these options. Thank you for your response!

Incidentally- have you seen post no 10 in this thread?

I realise this is an old thread, --- but some of us still have old archived stuff about

usually you can just copy the .vro file to your computer and edit that with any editting program
if your program will not open the .vro file rename it to .mpg - this may work

a GREAT program to use instead of dvdmoviealbum -- is called Womble ( MpegVideoWizard ) there is a fully functioning trial version on their website, and it's not too expensive, and it DOESN'T re-encode unchanged mpg video - making this program VERY fast,
  • it will edit / save pretty much all common formats
  • it has a scan feature, which when used on a .vro file will find all your segments (stop / starts) - for those who are after 1-2 parts
I have the hitachi version of dvdmoviealbum v3 and have had no trouble installing it on
  • Xp
  • Vista
  • Win7
just right click the install program, and run as administrator
or forget this crap program and use Womble :thumbsup: (or similar programs)

all dvdmoviealbum really does is transfer segments and rename them as mpgs :boring:

Last edited:
all dvdmoviealbum really does is transfer segments and rename them as mpgs :boring:

Not strictly true.

It provides chaptering and editing facilities... and only re-encodes non-compliant video.

I don't suppose anyone has had any joy getting DVD-MovieAlbum to work on Windows 10?

The only positive I can report is that the DVD-MovieAlbum Copy Tool (VRcopy.exe) works fine - this can take individual recordings from DVD-RAM and dump them to your PC's hard disk and vice versa. (Or you can use it to inspect the contents of DVD-RAM - viewing the titles, without actually doing the copy.)

This doesn't give you MPEG files, everything remains in VRO format. But you can use the free DVDVOB2Mpg utility developed by the ISOBuster guy to convert a VRO file to MPEG.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom