Where has our storage gone?

Discussion in 'iPad Forum' started by FZR400RRSP, Jul 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Bought our daughter a new ipad mini the other day (16GB)
    As far as I can tell I set it up as a new ipad, I didn't use iTunes and we had to reinstall apps etc.
    But we are only showing 6.1GB available despite only having the following on it:

Songs 2
    Videos 0
    Photos 1
    Apps 4

Where could the storage have gone??

2. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,832
    I thought I read somewhere a few months ago that people were complaining about how much storage the latest iOS was using before you started doing anything yourself. Could it be this?

3. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Don't think so.
    On any past 16GB devices, I'm used to seeing around 13-14GB available from new.
    Really baffling as to where over 6GB has gone!

4. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Settings, general, usage, manage storage

5. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Doesn't give me any answers.
    The list of stuff used on there doesn't come anywhere near the amount of memory used.
    Beginning to think I should take this one back to the shop (John Lewis) as faulty.

6. bransoj

bransoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    16Gb doesnt mean you start with 16Gb before anything including iOS is installed...on any storage thing like this like usb sticks, external hdd's etc the actual amount of storage is less than the quoted figures.

So you are probably starting with about 13/14gb then you have the iOS install which was reduced in 8.4 but still a couple of Gb i would have thought so you are probably about 11Gb you can actually use for your own things. Someone\some folk tried to sue, stupidly, Apple over apparently misrepresenting storage when in fact its nothing new and no different to any of the manufacturers state. In fact you get more of your 16Gb to use on an iOS device than you do with a Samsung device by the time they've hacked Android to pieces.

Now you dont say what apps you've installed but something like a big game is going to be more space than your average app. Also if you have Facebook or Twitter installed they like to build up nice big cache files over time that eat into your space.

For what its worth it could be worth plugging the iPad into a PC with iTunes to see what comes up...there have been times when the "Other" section has grown. That or if you dont have much on the iPad i would be tempted to reset it and set it up again to see if something went wrong the first time.

7. bransoj

bransoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    There is plenty you can do before you should consider taking it back! In fact if its new then i would be going to Apple as my first point of call before John Lewis and only then after trying many of the options available to fix it yourself.

8. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Thanks, but I can go back to John Lewis at my convenience, no appointment needed like I would the Apple shop.
    Our other ipad with identical apps is showing 8.9GB available.

9. bransoj

bransoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Where ever you take it back i would be trying to set it up again or connecting to iTunes to check first which is more convenient that either.

Also whether John Lewis is convenient or not if there is an issue could you walk in and walk out with a new replacement like you will at Apple? You also get the expert advice at an Apple store as well. Personally i would spend 5 mins sorting and booking an appointment with Apple for what suits and let them sort it if i couldnt after trying myself.