Where has all the originality gone?

IanW

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Okay after reading through the C64 gaming thread I am feeling nostalgic. :(

But this gets me back onto conversations that I have had with many people before. . . . . . "where has all the originality gone?"

Everything that seems to get released these days, either films or games, seems to be a remake of something else.

Please, please give me examples of modern day originality? . . . . . . . .

:lease:

Ian.

Grand Theft Auto (Modern-ish)
Little Big Planet
The Sims - Kinda
Left 4 Dead

half attempts I guess...

I agree with you no game really screams originality.

Well on the subject of games, I don't even play anymore except for the occasional Pro Evo with the flatmates

Sold my DS and gave my PSP to my brother. A mate has my Wii and games at the moment (moment = 7 months) but perhaps I should sell that too :rolleyes:

Well on the subject of games, I don't even play anymore except for the occasional Pro Evo with the flatmates

Sold my DS and gave my PSP to my brother. A mate has my Wii and games at the moment (moment = 7 months) but perhaps I should sell that too :rolleyes:

Football games :nono: sensible soccer on the Amiga?

Grand Theft Auto (Modern-ish)
Little Big Planet
The Sims - Kinda
Left 4 Dead

half attempts I guess...

I agree with you no game really screams originality.

Grand Theft Auto is not too bad, but it is getting long in the tooth, oh I will give you that the new graphics look pretty, but gameplay has not really changed from the 2D days.

Little Big Planet is really just a platform games with pretty looks . . . Jet Set Willy, Monty on the Run.

Sims is pretty good, but again getting long in the tooth.

Left 4 Dead :nono: FPS has been around since Wolfenstein 3D.

Ian.

The new movie Outlander is trying to blend SciFi with action/adventure and Vikings. Seems that the critics don't quite like this type of originality though from what I've read so far.
As most films and games have to make money, perhaps the saying about things 'not being broke' is the safest bet for the studios, if not the most original.
Anyhow, we all know by now that in racing games you race, in SciFi movies you fight aliens and in horror movies things live under the stairs or in the attic.
What more do you want,a tv series filmed on a tropical island where the plot is disclosed in a funny sequence and it's all back to front ? - that would never catch on :D

Yeah thats why I said half attempts, LPB took an existing idea and kinda expanded it with all the customisability and such but still it's a platform game for sure.

Left 4 Dead the same thing really took an existing style of game just went somewhere that had not really been done properly before.

Sims and GTA have both been around for a while and not really changed much but they are kinda "modern" games, but it's not really easy to come out with something "New".

As for a film [Rec] was quite original, ok zombies been done before but the way it was done was pretty good.

sensible soccer on the Amiga?
My earliest memory was Mario on the Nes. Then moved onto Megadrive with Bonanza Bros (underrated) and Sonic :p All time favourite was Final Fight (Sega CD)... and doubles with my brother

In both Bonanza Bros and Final Fight, you have to jump and avoid a trap door on the last level - hard work when one of the controllers stopped working over time :p You could unplug and switch for BB, but on FF one of you had to face the final boss alone :p

And I'll stop boring people now

Spore was original? I don't know if it's any good as I didn't [-]pirate[/-] play it.

It seems to have a negative view attached to it due to the DRM, its ashame an original idea ends up like that.

I agree though, I havn't many recently released films (last 3 years) as they all seem like the same money making pile of :censored:.

I find myself listning to older / less mainstream music for the same reasons too, all the new stuff seems to be following the same formula to make money.

I despair at the lack of Sci fi originality, both on film and TV.

As the OP mentioned re: gaming the sci fi scene is the same. Re-make after re-make, and more often than not, CRAP remakes.

I often wonder whether we as a species are losing our imaginative abilities. We seem to be so governed financially, socially (I won't go in to an Anwar rant), that individual creativity is almost frowned upon.

Sad days for me sometimes, as I grew up in a period where thought and imagination were a vehicle to escape the 'real' world.

Anyway I'm rambling (as usual).

Edit: I guess that I want my films/TV to offer me the same. i.e. some different and original - a suspension of belief, just for a moment or a couple of hours.

Last edited:
The new movie Outlander is trying to blend SciFi with action/adventure and Vikings. Seems that the critics don't quite like this type of originality though from what I've read so far.
As most films and games have to make money, perhaps the saying about things 'not being broke' is the safest bet for the studios, if not the most original.
Anyhow, we all know by now that in racing games you race, in SciFi movies you fight aliens and in horror movies things live under the stairs or in the attic.
What more do you want,a tv series filmed on a tropical island where the plot is disclosed in a funny sequence and it's all back to front ? - that would never catch on :D

rpg games and fantasy books have mixed different technologies for years, nothing new here. Warcraft did it with guns and explosives, other games I have played have mixed magic and pulse rifles etc.

music is the worst.

Where is the originality in anything today?

I agree eric, but I did say 'film' and 'trying' to be different.
I started going to the cinema with Jaws,Carrie,The Exorcist etc - all scary at the time because they hadn't been done before.
Then there was Close encounters, Et,PoltergeistAliens etc - all very exiting because of special effects but still very new.
I feel priviliged to have been there at the time because it's not the same for kids anymore when they're exposed to adult material via Dvd at too early an age.
Sadly for me I now find myself questioning things too much because my understanding of reality has increased with age and my belief in magic has decreased.
I think it' a sign of old age and I'm in danger of 'turning' into my dad.
It all just makes it harder for young and old to be so easily impressed these days.

Last edited:
music is the worst.

Where is the originality in anything today?
I have no problem per se, but I am one of those people who are in the "Jeff Buckley did the greatest cover of a song ever but that stupid X Factor winner does not even know the history and background so instead chose to sing it like a "Whitney Ballad""

I feel better

Okay after reading through the C64 gaming thread I am feeling nostalgic. :(

But this gets me back onto conversations that I have had with many people before. . . . . . "where has all the originality gone?"

Everything that seems to get released these days, either films or games, seems to be a remake of something else.

Please, please give me examples of modern day originality? . . . . . . . .

:lease:

Ian.
I take it you meant this one as you were the last to post in it :-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/retr...odore-64-game-remakes-freeware-downloads.html

Hope you took the time to check out the other threads

http://www.avforums.com/forums/retr...ga-pd-games-remade-freeware-downloads-pc.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/retro-gaming/704051-classic-spectrum-remakes-freeware-downloads.html

There are actually quite a few original titles in this pc freeware thread, crayon physics and tower of goo are stirling examples

http://www.avforums.com/forums/retr...ware-games-retro-remakes-link-discussion.html

Enjoy...... Haggler

Perhaps a slightly different example of originality would be the Wii. The games might not be original, but the playing is.

The games might not be up to PS3, XB360 and such, but I have far more fun playing them. :smashin:

Even my wife, who has never played computer games before, loves the Wii (and she scored 266 bowling yesterday, beating my best score :mad:)

The gaming industry must be considered to be "mature." Key categories are now up and running and it is rare indeed to find a game that exists outside them. There seems to be a temptation to take games from the 80's and 90's and apply more processing power and "grunt" to them. Creating a truly "new" concept is hard (lets face it- most ideas have been in some way attempted before) and not without risk- some quite innovative games have failed or been victim to another version of the same game being released quickly afterward correcting faults in the original.

I'm not much of a gamer any more. The last games I remember playing that was really different was Pikmin on the Gamecube that I enjoyed very much. Even further back, Bushido Blade on the PS1 was an interesting take on an existing concept- the beat 'em up but with no energy bar and the possibility of instant death.

Im a gamer and you will find me mostly in the gaming section or here annoying people in GC :D

Have you tried braid on xbl aracde great little game that is worthy of 1200 microsoft monopoly points

Can also reccomend proffesor layton on the ds very very good game to pick your wits and your brains very addictive

kop

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom