Where has all the architecture gone?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Miyazaki, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I was watching a programme, can't remember what it was called, where they were looking at old buildings and I was amazed by the amount of craftmanship, materials and time people used to give over to buildings.

If we look today, there is none of that and I think this era might possibly be looked at as artistically barren.

Roads, pavements, buildings are all built as cheaply and quickly as possible. Even pavements in the old days had art and craft going into them, today we just lay down some tarmac :suicide:

Buildings have no character and no soul, again seemingly built as cheaply as possible.

Why is this?

2. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    The reason is short sighted unelected planners.

3. RPupkin

RPupkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    As you say mate alot of it is down to money, look at all these home shows with people just wanting to make a quick buck so use a cheap materials as possible. Plus I think alot has to do with the materials we use, plastics are the most abundant material used now because they are cheap and long lasting yet IMO look shabby.

Another thing I think makes a place look nice is uniformity, years ago you would have streets looking the same, now everyone has a different design or style on their houses which just dosent look right all in a row.

With the buildings though, I fully agree modern architecture just doesnt look good. It doesnt have the asthetics you once had from older art deco or neo-gothic buildings for example. I have never liked any architecture born out of the modernist schools especially brutalism, it came at completely the wrong time when we we massively re-developing our towns and cities and unfortunatly became the style of choice and so many of out towns and cities look the worse for it.

There are some modern structures that are fantastic though like the gurkin!

I read once that the Victorians and Edwardians believed that alot of societies ills could be rectified from providing big impressive buildings, a powerful city could make a powerful society thus great care and attention was lavished on civil buildings and even mass housing.

We look back at these buildings with awe, I just cannot see anyone looking back with awe at most of the buildings errected over the last 50 years. :D

4. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    In a word, Architects.

I was watching a programme on TV a while back where a pointy head was asking why no one appreciates modern buildings.

If he'd asked me I'd have said it's because most buildings built before 1950 are attractive whereas most built after aren't.

Planning decisions are made by the council you elect.

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    There should be a minimum standard of design that should be implemented as part of planning permission.

They do it when people rebuild old or listed buildings, IMO it should be much wider implemented.

Buildings like the Gherkin are the exception rather than the rule, and I agree it looks brilliant.

6. Dave Weystoner

Dave Weystoner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I don't think this is a new phenomenon. There have been, and still are, some pretty rubbish examples of utilitarian architecture around from pre-modernism. In my home town, we are retaining ugly Georgian and Victorian barracks and office blocks, I believe just because they are Georgian and Victorian - they appear to have no architectural merit whatsoever.

I guess most of the poorly-designed buildings dating from before modernism have been torn down, so we only (usually) see the best examples. As we go forward, the bad modernist blocks will be taken down (or more likely fall down) and we will be left with the good examples - the van der Rohe, Goldfinger, lasdun, Sterling, Rogers and Foster stuff that create such a diverse built environment.

Dave

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    In short heath and safety, minimum wage and a lack of slave labour.

G

8. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    On planning most are made by deligation ie its down to the planner as they do not go to comitty like my last 2 builds were and yes the planners told me what I could build and not build not the councilors.

9. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I see no shortage of fine new buildings.

Like any era though, the majority are just bland and functional.
    In a few generations time most of those will have been replaced, just as they have been in the past, leaving just the ones with merit that people will want to preserve.

There would have been endless victorian, georgian or whatever era buildings that had no real merit and were duly replaced. Just because there are many splendid buildings from those eras that have survived doesn't mean they were all like that...

10. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,604
    What standard would that be? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Any standard that isn't to design what ikea is to furniture!

I know because of WWII most of our architectural heritage has been destroyed, but there should be more to visiting the towns of the UK than shopping.

When I visit Europe I never fail to be amazed at some of the buildings.

One town that sticks in my mind is Pézenas in the south of France. Truely beautiful, when compared to the black hole that is Southampton.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009