Where from? Xbox360 from UK or Canada for less and more stuff?

SuperSaiyan4

Ex Member
Reaction score
pre-ordered back in august with GAME the premium pack xbox360.

However www.dvdboxoffice are doing an 'Ultimate bundle' which is the premium pack, extra wireless controller, play and charge kit and an extra battery pack. All for £245 delivered for free!

If that aint attractive enough xbox360 games are from £26! and delivered free where PDZ LE version being only £31!!

Someone tell me what I should do!

Damm those import people!!
I'd like to tell you to import one but you might get hit with VAT at customs then you end up paying more.
I would love it if USA 360 games worked on the UK xbox then I could buy from places like dvd boxoffice and save cash, I dont mind waiting a week or so for a new release but I cant see it happening.

Well the console is dirt cheap considering all the extras you get on top of the premium bundle and with free postage!!
Ok so will get stung on import tax but that will be what like £50? still cheaper than here and on top PDZ LE version for £31 aint bad considering its £50-£60 here!

SuperSaiyan4 said:
Well the console is dirt cheap considering all the extras you get on top of the premium bundle and with free postage!!
Ok so will get stung on import tax but that will be what like £50? still cheaper than here and on top PDZ LE version for £31 aint bad considering its £50-£60 here!

I don't really see the point in importing, you don't end up saving that much and it's a lot of hassle. Amazon have PD0: LE for £48.

how is it hassle? wireless controller is £33, play and charge is £15, battery pack is £10 and premium console is £280 = £338

£244 for the lot in Canada and maybe £50 on customs = £294

How much for a stepdown transformer?

£30 for a decent one i'd say.

So including is a transformer, is it worth it for £14?

So thats £324 lets just say £330, so thats £8 cheaper thank UK and I get all the extras with the added benefit of getting games far cheaper and earlier...

Only thing now is to wait and see if the company will use DHL as I normally have to wait upto 2 weeks sometimes for a game from them.

And if your xbox 360 console knackers itself you're up **** creek without a paddle! :D

You won't be seeing me getting a 360 shipped thousands of miles for the sake of a tenner. Seems a very odd idea to me. True, the games might be a few quid cheaper, but with postage and the waiting... And you won't be able to nip into your local games shop to trade in/buy second hand. AND you'll only be able to play region 1 dvds.

What's the point? I wouldn't do it even if it was £100 cheaper. I like the convenience of having the games I want a 5 minute drive away, not a one or two week delivery away!

Still, each to their own.

What?

'You won't be seeing me getting a 360 shipped thousands of miles for the sake of a tenner'

Unfortunately XBox 360 is not made in Warrington - you may find the one you pick up from Woolies has travelled a bit. :D

I'm just jealous - no pre-order.

SuperSaiyan4 said:

Import taxes work out a lot more than that, you get charged more than VAT because there's custom charges and admin fees. I got charged £50 for a PSP and a game, so expect to pay close to £100 on top of that price. If I can give you any advice it would be to order the games seperatley, as they should be able to pass through alright, but if they're witht he console then you're certain to be charged for them aswell.

Blacklodge said:
What?

'You won't be seeing me getting a 360 shipped thousands of miles for the sake of a tenner'

Unfortunately XBox 360 is not made in Warrington - you may find the one you pick up from Woolies has travelled a bit. :D

I'm just jealous - no pre-order.

I think he means that there is extra risk involved if you then ship one yourself a few thousand miles across the Atlantic.

Personally I don't see the point of importing as you save very little and have to wait for games to be delivered. Also if something goes wrong with it then you will have trouble returning it or getting it repaired.

CAS FAN said:
I think he means that there is extra risk involved if you then ship one yourself a few thousand miles across the Atlantic.

Personally I don't see the point of importing as you save very little and have to wait for games to be delivered. Also if something goes wrong with it then you will have trouble returning it or getting it repaired.

I have to disagree with that view. I've imported many consoles, the PSP and DS being the last two and never had any problems with them or had to pay duty on any. In most cases there are/will be many games that get released in the US before Europe. In those cases I may have to wait a week to get my games but I will still get them before most people here and at around the same cost or less then buying PAL games online here.

Regarding the Xbox 360 there may not be much of a difference in release dates at launch but in the future there will probably be many games that come out in the US first.

Moogle said:
I have to disagree with that view. I've imported many consoles, the PSP and DS being the last two and never had any problems with them or had to pay duty on any. In most cases there are/will be many games that get released in the US before Europe. In those cases I may have to wait a week to get my games but I will still get them before most people here and at around the same cost or less then buying PAL games online here.

Regarding the Xbox 360 there may not be much of a difference in release dates at launch but in the future there will probably be many games that come out in the US first.

I have also imported a few consoles (had a Jap Megadrive around a year before the UK launch and also Imported a Jap PSP in March) my point is that I just see no point in importing a 360. They are getting released in the UK 10 days after the US release and 360 games cost around the same on US sites (around $60) as they do on our sites (£40). Also, yes the US gets some games before us (generally NHL, NBA, NFL etc.) where as we get Pro Evo before them. As Pro Evo is my fave game then that's another reason to buy UK. The only thing that makes it worthwhile improting IMO is if...

A) they are cheaper to import (not really the case in this situation) and
B) there is a long delay in the machine coming out here (like the PSP)

As neither of the above are relevant here then I see no point importing myself. Anyone else can do whatever they like and if everyone decided to sack off their pre-orders and but US consoles then i'd be very happy indeed :clap: .

CAS FAN said:
I have also imported a few consoles (had a Jap Megadrive around a year before the UK launch and also Imported a Jap PSP in March) my point is that I just see no point in importing a 360. They are getting released in the UK 10 days after the US release and 360 games cost around the same on US sites (around $60) as they do on our sites (£40). Also, yes the US gets some games before us (generally NHL, NBA, NFL etc.) where as we get Pro Evo before them. As Pro Evo is my fave game then that's another reason to buy UK. The only thing that makes it worthwhile improting IMO is if...

A) they are cheaper to import (not really the case in this situation) and
B) there is a long delay in the machine coming out here (like the PSP)

As neither of the above are relevant here then I see no point importing myself. Anyone else can do whatever they like and if everyone decided to sack off their pre-orders and but US consoles then i'd be very happy indeed :clap: .

The import priced is the same as buying one here. There isn't a long delay in the console launch and the launch games will be out here at around the same time. However you seem to be under the impression it's only the US sports games that get released there first. From my experience with the existing consoles it's more then just the sports games. A lot of other genres like RPG's, adventure, fighting and racing games also get delayed for various reasons. The same will be the case for the 360.

I'm not prepared to wait for a game I've really been anticipating to be released here 6 months down the road or even one month when I can get it now. I am not a football fan and really don't care about Pro Evo coming out here first. Besides it's only one game compared to the countless others that will get delayed here and that's more important IMHO. Since the games are going to be the same price or less I would rather have the option of getting them sooner rather then later. IMHO it is worth importing any console from abroad, particularly the US as there will always be an advantage of some sort or other from doing so. Therefore I stand by my view on the matter.

Basically Bizarre Creations tend to make the only decent X-Box racers and they are a UK company. I therefore can't see them releasing in the US before here. Infact I can't think of any situation with the X-Box where i've wanted to buy an import game because it's not available in the UK.

Anyway like I said, each to their own and I would be more than happy if more people shared your viewpoint. For me a UK model will be perfect and as all other games are just a sideshow to Pro Evo in my world then having to wait for the US release would be a nightmare!

CAS FAN said:
Basically Bizarre Creations tend to make the only decent X-Box racers and they are a UK company. I therefore can't see them releasing in the US before here. Infact I can't think of any situation with the X-Box where i've wanted to buy an import game because it's not available in the UK.

Anyway like I said, each to their own and I would be more than happy if more people shared your viewpoint. For me a UK model will be perfect and as all other games are just a sideshow to Pro Evo in my world then having to wait for the US release would be a nightmare!

We all have our own view points and opinions. I own about 50 Xbox games and at least about 80% of them I was able to obtain before they were released here in many cases several months early. Ninja Gaiden is a case in point where I got it about 4-5 months before and not only that it wasn't the censored version released over here. I'm quite happy to import all my games from North America. For those who don't see it as an advantage to own a US machine like your self fair enough. As you say each to his own. We'll leave it at that. :)

Gotta admit that I'm importing a US unit too.

There are less reasons to do so this time around, but there are still some pretty good reasons to still consider it (for me at least).

I hate waiting for games that I really want, so even a 2-3 months delay (at minimum) is always too long in my book. I know the console release is worldwide this time, but MS can't hold sway over the publishers and they'll still end up releasing games on their own terms when it comes to schedules - which typically means PAL owners can expect to be left waiting for those `non-launch window` titles to turn up (though I would love it if I'm proved wrong on this one as it'd be a real step forward).

If I had to wait 3-6 months (or longer) for Gears of War when I knew it was out in the US I think I'd have a breakdown :)

Moogle already mentioned Ninja Gaiden - I always prefer to play my games the way the creators wanted them to be played. No uneccesary edits for me.

Also there are still some games that just don't make it to our shores. Take the amazingly, brilliant Psychonauts. It's criminal that it still hasn't been released here when it was out in April stateside. It's one of the system's true hidden gems and a must play for anyone who owns an Xbox. While there are rumblings that it's going to get released it's stuck in limbo while a publisher sorts themselves out.

But as has been mentioned, it is a case of each very much to their own and horses for courses.

spatial101 said:
Gotta admit that I'm importing a US unit too.

There are less reasons to do so this time around, but there are still some pretty good reasons to still consider it (for me at least).

I hate waiting for games that I really want, so even a 2-3 months delay (at minimum) is always too long in my book. I know the console release is worldwide this time, but MS can't hold sway over the publishers and they'll still end up releasing games on their own terms when it comes to schedules - which typically means PAL owners can expect to be left waiting for those `non-launch window` titles to turn up (though I would love it if I'm proved wrong on this one as it'd be a real step forward).

If I had to wait 3-6 months (or longer) for Gears of War when I knew it was out in the US I think I'd have a breakdown :)

Moogle already mentioned Ninja Gaiden - I always prefer to play my games the way the creators wanted them to be played. No uneccesary edits for me.

Also there are still some games that just don't make it to our shores. Take the amazingly, brilliant Psychonauts. It's criminal that it still hasn't been released here when it was out in April stateside. It's one of the system's true hidden gems and a must play for anyone who owns an Xbox. While there are rumblings that it's going to get released it's stuck in limbo while a publisher sorts themselves out.

But as has been mentioned, it is a case of each very much to their own and horses for courses.

My sentiments exactly. Another great game that never made it to these shores and probably never will now is Phantom Dust. That reminds me I need to order Psychonauts and Phantom Dust at some point. :)

Surely if your box is modded though you can play games from any region. I doubt that i'll mod my 360 for the 1st year but I can see it happening the year after.

CAS FAN said:
Surely if your box is modded though you can play games from any region. I doubt that i'll mod my 360 for the 1st year but I can see it happening the year after.

That's if someone finds a way to reliably mod a 360. I know people will say there is always a way. However I'm not prepared to wait to see if it can be modded and until when it can be done. It will probably be at least 6 months to a year if not longer. I think the 360 will be much harder to modify then the PS2 and Xbox though. Also if it means I can't go online then that's another reason not to rely on it. I rather get an official US machine and import games especially when they are no more expensive. IMHO importing a console is a much better option and gives me ability to get games sooner rather then later and in the odd case the way it was meant to be and not edited or censored. Even a game is released in the same week games usually come out on Monday or Tuesday in the US which means if I pre order it I will have it by the following Friday or Saturday, about the same time as the UK release. I am quite sure though that in many cases the games will be out much sooner in the US.

Plus if you mod your console, you can pretty much kiss Xbox Live (Silver or Gold) goodbye

A reliable 360 mod after a year is almost a certainty. Also why would you have to kiss X-Box live goodbye? My X-Box is modded and works fine on Live - I just disconnect the internet when using it with the chip on and when I go on live I just knock the chip off.

I'd also doubt that many games will come out first in the US with the 360 as they wouldn't be going for the almost Simultaneous console launch if they were then going to have games coming out at vastly different times. The whole idea is that they want to make is so there are no real differences between the regions when it comes to release times. You will get the odd game released only in Japan, the odd game released only in Europe and the odd game only released in the US as different markets do demand different games. The only reason i'd say go for a US console is if you are more into stuff the US market would prefer as opposed to the European market (i.e. you prefer American Footie to Association footie).

CAS FAN said:
I'd also doubt that many games will come out first in the US with the 360 as they wouldn't be going for the almost Simultaneous console launch if they were then going to have games coming out at vastly different times. The whole idea is that they want to make is so there are no real differences between the regions when it comes to release times. You will get the odd game released only in Japan, the odd game released only in Europe and the odd game only released in the US as different markets do demand different games. The only reason i'd say go for a US console is if you are more into stuff the US market would prefer as opposed to the European market (i.e. you prefer American Footie to Association footie).

I disagree. The idea of a virtual simultaneous launch of the console is part of Microsoft's new philosophy. They are admitting that Europe is just as important to them as the US. That is only MS though. This has no bearing what so ever on third party publishers who will make their own decisions as to if and when to release there games in the various different territories as has already been mentioned. MS has no control over that.

You will still see a lot of third party games, if not first party also, being released in the US first. That has always been the case and probably always will be. You keep going on about the American sports games but I'm sorry it is more then just those games that are and will be affected. There will be many games in other genres that will get a delayed release here. You're kidding yourself if you think it's just going to be the Americancentric games that will get this treatment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom