1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where for art thou Teletext

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JamieD, Dec 22, 2002.

1. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Now then...

I've got a Panasonic plasma, NTL digital cable, DVD player, 4 games consoles and a VCR. Now, before I ditch the old telly (Philips 32PW9616) has anyone any suggestions as to where I'm going to get my beloved teletext feed from? NTL cable only provide their interactice service y'see which is slow and cack.

I know you can get VCRs that have teletext onboard, so I could replace the current VCR, which seems a waste.

Do any of the FTA digiboxes have 'real' teletext or are they hampered by 'digital text' too?

Final thought was maybe getting a micro-form-factor PC like a Shuttle, with a PC TV card, they usually have teletext don't they? (The problem with that is the VGA connector is used, I've got a Dr John box which is going to handle all my RGB games consoles)

I throw myself at the mercy of the forum. :)

2. JamesAldridge99

JamesAldridge99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could always try the AVerMedia TVBOX3 AVerMedia TVBOX3 its a TV tuner that supports teletext! You can connect it to your screen via a VGA cable. Hope this helps.

3. JamesAldridge99

JamesAldridge99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    James

I'm not sure if the 'Optional' Teletext output is available on the UK models - the last one I had from Aver (about three months ago and not the MK3 model) certainly did not and it was not offered then.

I'll give them a call today as it would be a great help on a couple of current projects if they have added in Teletext to the box.

Best regards

Joe

5. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That would be fantastic Joe.

I was thinking about this little AVerMedia box, and seeing how it's ideal for connecting to an LCD monitor, and now Dabs are doing an LCD for under £200 it would be ideal for the kitchen or something...

.. then I realised, why not just a portable telly... DOH! I tells ya, this technology messes with your mind.

jamie

6. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi guys

Looks an interesting piece of kit. What price ball park are we in?

Cheers
    Andrew

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    ajb

Far too cheap for a man of your means - TVbox3 is £129.99 with text and £99.00 without text + P&P.

I've ordered a couple to try them out with the teletext - though I'm off for a holiday for the next two weeks so they will have to wait until I get back on 09.01.03.

Regards

Joe

8. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Joe

"a man of my means"... well... I am of very limited means really. No more upgrades for a while I think. I was interested really as a solution with a little 15 inch TFT for a small space.

Do let us know what you make of them!

Merry Christmas
    Andrew