Where does itunes save backed up photos from camera roll?

karlp606

I backed up phone this morning as was going to the apple store to pick up a replacement, and I set my new iphone up as a "new" phone on itunes as I wanted a fresh resore, but where does Itunes save the backed up pics from the camera roll? I synced my photos but only photos that were saved on my comp have synced onto my iphone not my camera roll pics?

bobbytoad

i didn't realise it did? would be interested to know also, as i always take them off the iphone as if it was a camera and store in a folder.

williamus

Karl

Not absolutely sure about this but I think you should have two back-ups one for your old phone and one from the replacement phone you've just set up as a "new phone". Had you "restored from backup" you would have transferred the camera roll photos to your replacement phone. Because you set it up as a new phone it will only have synced the photos in your PC folder.

If you have still got the backup from your old phone, that's where they'll be. How you get them back is another thing altogether and beyond my very limited technical knowledge.

If they're really important to you, I guess you could re-restore your new phone from the old back up which should reload your camera roll pics. You could then download them onto your PC (manually as suggested above) and then set up as a new phone - again. That should get you back to where you were this morning but having retrieved your camera roll pics.

Health warning - don't try this unless some one else confirms it will work!

karlp606

Karl

Not absolutely sure about this but I think you should have two back-ups one for your old phone and one from the replacement phone you've just set up as a "new phone". Had you "restored from backup" you would have transferred the camera roll photos to your replacement phone. Because you set it up as a new phone it will only have synced the photos in your PC folder.

If you have still got the backup from your old phone, that's where they'll be. How you get them back is another thing altogether and beyond my very limited technical knowledge.

If they're really important to you, I guess you could re-restore your new phone from the old back up which should reload your camera roll pics. You could then download them onto your PC (manually as suggested above) and then set up as a new phone - again. That should get you back to where you were this morning but having retrieved your camera roll pics.

Health warning - don't try this unless some one else confirms it will work!

Hi mate,

Yes I've got the backup but itunes seems to backup your camera roll photos into the actual backup file and not export them to a folder on your pc, so I need to find a way or program that extracts the info from the back up file?

williamus

Hi mate,

Yes I've got the backup but itunes seems to backup your camera roll photos into the actual backup file and not export them to a folder on your pc, so I need to find a way or program that extracts the info from the back up file?

Karl... I think that's the point. The camera roll pics will be embedded in the old back up file. The only way I can think of retrieving them is to backup your iphone from the old backup hile (i.e. the one with camera roll pics) then download them manually when you plug the phone in... once you've done that and got your camera roll photos safely retrieved then you can set your phone up again as a "new phone" which is what I understand you wanted to do to start with.

There's ptobably a wizzy way of extracting your camera roll photos from the back up file without doing anything so clunky, but it's beyond me.

Anyone?

youngpip

Novice Member
There's ptobably a wizzy way of extracting your camera roll photos from the back up file without doing anything so clunky, but it's beyond me.

Anyone?

There's a few bits of software that'll do it. This one is free to try but looks like you need to pay to extract any more than 4 files at once:
iPhone Backup Extractor for Windows and Mac

A quick google search finds a few more but apart from an Mac-only one that's free, they all seem to cost a few quid.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom