Where does it go?

F

fabio1605

Ive got a stereo amp marantz pm7200 and outputs wise there is only the speaker terminals.... i have 2 sets of terminals but i can only use both really if the speakers are 16ohms... where exactly would a subwoffer go for my stereo... or would i just share the sub with one of my speaker terminals that im already using because the sub wont drain any power out the amp because its on mains.... i aint bought a sub but im considering one at the moment but dont know much about them

Also would the sub take away the deep sounds away from my speakers(wharfdale 8.2+) hence less pressure on the speakers....

Some subs cannot be connected to a stereo amp but many will have high level connections so that the sub can be connected to the amp's speaker terminals.

In the "old days" before Dolby Digital amps became the norm I used to twist the sub cable ends together with the speaker's cable ends and attach them to the same speaker terminal.

It sounds like you can go about this two ways:

1. Most, if not all subs have a stereo input, where you would plug in the connection from the CD player. The subwoofer would filter out the low end for itself, and pass on the rest to the amplifier through a set of outputs.

2. Some subs have high-level inputs that allow you to connect the amplified speaker outputs to the sub. The sub filters out the low end for itself, and passes the rest to the speakers.

IMO, the first way is the better way, because you're dealing with lower power, and because nealy every sub on the market is capable of this type of connection.

i dont have any sub out puts on my cd player tho.. just 2 phone (l+r) that go to my amp

And would have no where to plug the sub in to my amp ...

That what they're saying - you take the twin phono connection (l & r) and plug it into your subwoofer. If your sub has 2 sets of twin phonos then chances are you'll be fine - you take the source from the cd player to the sub via the input and then output to the amp - the sub filters out the bass for itself.

If it doesn't have these then you can do what Ian J spoke about.

thanx ben

do you mean number 2

2. Some subs have high-level inputs that allow you to connect the amplified speaker outputs to the sub. The sub filters out the low end for itself, and passes the rest to the speakers.

How can i found out what subs have tho.. coz it dont usualy tell me much aboyt them when im lookin at them...

Just another question... another reason im lookin for a sub is to take some of the strain of my main speakers should i sub filter some of it out...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom