1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where does it all come from?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bbdivo, Sep 19, 2005.

1. bbdivo

bbdivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just curious, I've read in a few posts here and there of people who have Gladiator, Fifth element and a couple of others in HD. What I wanted to know was where does it come from, I don't mean where can I get it, but if there's no Blu-Ray or HD-DVD disks out yet (therefore no players or movies) where do these HD movies come from?

The only commercially available HD format at the moment is WMVHD, and I've seen disks for Tombraider etc (although in German!) and not much else.

2. Andy Leitch

Andy Leitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    America and Japan, who have had broadcast HD for years.

People capture these releases and upload them to various places.

It may be illegal but I am eternally thankful for these HD releases.

3. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    A lot of the STB's can be connected via firewire to a PC so you get a perfect digial rip, loads of films and all the major TV shows are shown in Hi-def.

I agree entirely with the last line of the above post, the stuff around is a bit of a mish-mash of genres and the quality varies a lot but when you've forked out for a display and nobody is forthcoming with anything to make use of it you take what you can get, roll on some proper discs.