1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do you stop?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Goatface, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Goatface

Goatface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been messing with me amp now for a few months and realising that the leads can be an expense overlooked many times.

I got the Pioneer VSX D-1011 and Mission speakers all round. 74i, 72i and MS10 Sub.

I have wired the speakers with the meatiest cable I could get in Comet as advised by a mate. I am now almost completley finished replacing all my leads. I have been buying a lot of the monster cables.

I have obviously noticed a difference with using a Digital Coax for the DVD playback with S-Video. I also noticed the difference with an Optical lead on the PS2 and S-video out.

My question is this. Is there really any difference between a cheap optical lead and an expensive one. My monster was £45 and I have now found cheaper ones for £24 in Maplins. Shorly Fibre is Fibre. OK maybe flexibility is sacrifised but hey £20.

Also I use my DVD player for CD playback, but I use a different output into another input on my amp so that I can leave it in Stereo mode. I am currently using Left/right phono leads. Cheapy ones too. Is there any point in going optical here or should I just change them to good quality gold plated phono?

Also I was advised to put the spikes on my speakers, I did this and am now convinced that it has made a real difference? Is this all in my head? Sure it sounds crisper?

Surley there's a point where its as good as it gets and you just upgrade stuff for piece of mind?

Also last night I noticed that I am still using a cheap S-video lead for my amp output to the TV . Shocking....But haven't noticed it in the picture....Will I? Is it worth changing for another £45????

2. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, Goatface, there are lots of answers you will probably get to this question but here are mine.....

Is there a point at which it becomes as good as it gets.....well, probably not. If you are striving for perfection then it is going to be a long and expensive journey.

For sure you could make considerable improvements to your current setup with much much better components, of course that is going to cost you!

I have spent quite a hefty sum on my equipment but there is so much I want to improve and upgrade - that's the disease you get when you start in this game!

The trick is, I believe, don't catch the disease in the first place. Be happy with what you have and just enjoy it - don't worry about whether it could sound better if you changed this that or the other - get to a point where you are happy and find something else to spend your money on.

Now, that is easier said than done......:D

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    To improve the picture quality from DVD I would suggest you get a reasonable scart lead and connect it direct to your TV's RGB scart socket. In most cases RGB is better quality then S-Video and most TV's should be able to receive RGB through at least 1 of its scarts.
    There is no need to have the receiver connected to the TV other than for setting it up via the OSD. Plugging the DVD into receiver and then on to the TV will result in a further loss of quality as there are more connections in the signal path. You only need to put video via the receiver if you are useing it to switch sources ie Digital TV receiver & DVD into same socket on the TV.

Mark.