where do you run your cables

zairs

Novice Member
How do you run your cables to your projector, when its ceiling mounted? i'd like to make my set up as neat as possible. do you use trunking?

Last edited:

Sandra51

My projector is on the ceiling about 2 feet from the wall which my garage is attached to. I have a wooden floor in the lounge where the projector and AV equipment are so all my wires run under the floor then through a hole in the wall into the garage. They are then just clipped to the wall in the garage and feed back through another hole in that wall just below the coving on the ceiling into a single surface mounted switch box with a plain cover over it which I drilled a hole in the centre of it with a small slot, like a keyhole, just big enough to take the HDMI, the power, S-Video and component leads.
I then wrapped all the leads going from that box to the projector in a spiral cable tidy to keep it as neat and tidy as possible.
If you havent got a room or garage next to the wall nearest your projector you would have to use trunking but I think even with trunking, it would still be neater running it into a switch box similar to how I have done.

AV Online

AVForums Sponsor
Trunking is certainly the easiest option. Running cable through walls / ceilings is obviously the cleanest finished option but it can take a bit of mess to get there depending on your situation. If you do go the install route then make sure to include extra cables which you may make use of later and as a backup. A jack cable for a 12v trigger is something which many people overlook and for the price of it it's always worth putting in a couple of runs of CAT5.

zairs

Novice Member
i dont really get the cat 5/cat 6 stuff, is there any links for explinations. i'm gonna try lifting some floor boards upstairs and see how hard it will be running everything though it. then work out the best cables for the job

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
I was fortunate enough to have a purpose built Home Cinema Room as part of my new extension.

I ran all the cables in conduit behind the plaster.

Being a bungalow, I could get into the loft space above the room to run the cables down to the ceiling mounted projector.

This is the ideal way of doing it, but obviously most people won't be in my lucky position.

michaelpeel

Standard Member
i dont really get the cat 5/cat 6 stuff, is there any links for explinations. i'm gonna try lifting some floor boards upstairs and see how hard it will be running everything though it. then work out the best cables for the job
The idea is that the cat5e is kind of like a "universal cable", in that it can be repurposed by adding the appropriate connectors at either end. For example, if you'd set up a projector prior to HDMI, you'd have component cable run through. Switching to HDMI would have required re-routing new cable - however, with cat5e pre-installed you could then convert it to HDMI - have a look at the following link to see the different cat5e extenders:
Keene Retail Ltd: Av Distribution Amplifiers And Line Drivers . Note that you need more than one run of cat5e as some extenders will use more than one cable.

In terms of installation, I've done a few now - one house with cables run from the AV rack at the front of the room, under the floorboards to the back wall (nearest the projector mounting), pulled up the inside of the wall (lath and plaster), then routed through the ceiling via the upstairs floor. This was the optimum approach given the directions of the joists. The other house was a similar approach, but with an attic to route the cables through so a fair bit easier.

Hope that helps.

zairs

Novice Member
is it ok to run the power cable along side the hdmi cable, or will this cause interfereance??

Sandra51

It doesnt interfere with mine and as I mentioned earlier they are wrapped together in one of those spiralling cable tidy harnesses.
Thats including running 3D via an Optoma 3D XL box to my Optoma HD600X projector.

Sandra51

I was a little concerned at first, especially with people saying they had problems with 3D not working on long HDMI cables (mines 10 metres) even though 1080P 2D was OK. Thinking that any weakness would show it up with something like rf or magnetic induced inteference or something like that from the mains cable but as it turned out its been fine :)

happyhomer

I run all my cables in D-Line trunking and it works a treat. Their magnolia matches my walls perfectly and by running the 30mmx30mm quadrant trunking around the whole room it looks like coving. There are also plenty of options for running cables into the ceiling-mounted part, and the option to add standard-size switch boxes for extra neatness. The great thing that I've also found over the years is that it's very easy to add/remove cables as my requirements have changed over time.
On final point, my wife thinks it looks good too :thumbsup:

The full range is here. Some of the mainstream DIY stores sell a limited range, but I found that to get the whole range (especially the 3m lengths) it was best to order from an electrical wholesaler like TLC Direct. Hope that helps.

Lagerlout

Standard Member
I'm doing it the easy way. Taken down the entire ceiling, replacing the plasterboard and replastering the ceiling. lol, builders have been here nearly two weeks... gulp.. Ahh the beauty of a flat roof! ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom