Where Do You Hide Yours????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by WBC, Jan 16, 2004.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I WANT A PROJECTOR !!!!...................

...................but I'm not allowed!!

"Their ugly and I'm not having that thing stuck on my ceiling, don't care how big the picture is, and what about the cables? I'm not having them all over my living room. :nono: :nono: "

So whats the score, I've convinced her we can hide the screen in the ceiling, no worries! But what about the projector, do you guys really get away with the monstrosity hanging from your ceiling??? Their must be options???

How good is Sony's sideshot technology?

I know keystone correction degrades picture quality but to what level?? It won't satisfy purists but will the average joe still be impressed?

Would I be able to have it in my AV cupboard on the side of my room and just power it up & use the sideshot to project on the screen?

HELP!!! :zonked:

Stace :D

2. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Welcome to WAF :)

3. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You could just set it up when you need it. Not ideal but you wont be the only one.

One original solution recently involde using a hinged picture as a shelf when required. I'll try and find the tread.

You have to be careful using projectors in cupboard and stuff as they need a fair bit of ventilation. For instance the Z2 needs half a metre each side.

4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    What size is your room?

In my old house I kept my PJ in a wall mounted cupboard. 12ft from the screen it threw an image 6ft wide. So it was hidden away all day.

If your budget allows get a machine like a SIM20 Domino and you'll be able to wall mount rather than ceiling mount from a further distance.

Not seen the HS20 sidesghot function but it may be your only option. Just try and keep it to a minimum - by only having to correct the horizontal rather than the vertical aspect. Do this by placing the PJ at a height that the vertical edges *are* vertical, then you should only have to adjust the horizontal top & bottom edges.

Chris

5. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Still looking for the picture frame one but check out scooters efforts here

Impressive stuff.

Picture frame solution here, unfortunately the pics seem to be off line at the mo.

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    When my neighbours were away on holidays last year I bored a hole in the wall between our houses and mounted the projector on his side as shown in the picture below (taken from his living room). They weren't too pleased with the idea at first but now they seem to have gotton pretty used to it

Conor

Attached Files:

7. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Err this has come up before I think.

Be a man and put on your trousers. I presume you work hard and toil for your money, supporting your family etc??If money isnt tight
    i.e. your not buying a projector in preference to feeding or clothing your kids THEN BUY ONE!!!

Tell her to compromise and mount it as discretely as possible!!

Dont let ANYONE stop you from achieving your dreams no matter how modest they may be!!!

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85

That attudute could get a guy , at best, getting the silent treatment and at worst, sleeping in the garage (someone elses)
    :D
    I must run, the iron is just ready

Conor

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Coffe table mount??? Motorised box? a whole host of options if you are prepared to throw time effort and money at it.

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Are you talking about his missus (sounds like a bit of a goer, nudge nudge, wink wink, Say no MORE !!!!) ??

A Giddy Ritzzzzzz.

11. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Hi im in north pompey two (Cosham) I think projectors look nice on the ceiling lol I have a panasonic ae300 in the centre of the ceiling with in ceiling lights either side and looks very nice cant see the thing unless I look up, and as for the cables they dont look nice in my room but I dont care I guess u could hide them in a corner.

12. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    WHAT TO DO!!
    1.Buy the most expensive biggest projector you can find
    2. stick it in the room wherever you want it to go
    3.chuck out any cushions, candles,ornaments,magazines, doilies,
    throws, scented pot pourri into the nearest skip.
    4. Buy the biggest best sub woofer you can find and matching speakers preferably in ear splitting black,
    5. whack up a 16x9 screen and paint the rest of the room black or have it lined with black velvet
    6.put a black mini fridge full of your favourite beverages next to your new black leather sofa
    7.dont forget to hook up your PS2,Xbox and game cube
    8.Invite the boys round for a MATRIX or LOTR or STARWARS 3 film back to back session followed by huge screen gaming
    9. Tell her what you want for tea and make sure to have it ready when you get home and to serve it to you while she is wearing your favourite skimpies and a smile!!!!

13. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have to tread carefully here cause a few months ago in a similar thread I said something that other people thought was in poor taste and complaints were made to the mods......and it wasn't even as bad as what ritz said!! :D TBH I don't think what I said was that bad and the complainers were probably hen pecked once a month missionary types

anyway, what was my point?? :D

Oh yeah

She got to pick the kitchen decor
    She got to pick the diningroom decor
    She got to pick the livingroom decor
    She got to pick the bathroom decor
    She got to pick the bedroom decor

Tell her "fair is fair" and you get to pick the ceiling decor!

:D

14. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Hey Calibos,

I remember that post of yours.... scurilous, foul and degrading, depraved and perverted, scandalous and blasphemous, Aaaawful stuff........... Dear Heavens, how could you have done such a thing ?????????

Now I wonder who complained about it....... Was someone winding you up ?????? Were you wound up ????

Muhahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Sean.

15. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comor

Nice Touch!!!!!

Hey Spacecat,

"Dont let ANYONE stop you from achieving your dreams no matter how modest they may be!!!"

Lets be honest here, I do wear the trousers and moneys definately not tight (and I'm here for a happy life)...............but achieving dreams, I don't think I'm shallow enough for a projector to be one of them!!!!

And as far as............................

"WHAT TO DO!!
    1.Buy the most expensive biggest projector you can find
    2. stick it in the room wherever you want it to go
    3.chuck out any cushions, candles,ornaments,magazines, doilies,
    throws, scented pot pourri into the nearest skip.
    4. Buy the biggest best sub woofer you can find and matching speakers preferably in ear splitting black,
    5. whack up a 16x9 screen and paint the rest of the room black or have it lined with black velvet
    6.put a black mini fridge full of your favourite beverages next to your new black leather sofa
    7.dont forget to hook up your PS2,Xbox and game cube
    8.Invite the boys round for a MATRIX or LOTR or STARWARS 3 film back to back session followed by huge screen gaming
    9. Tell her what you want for tea and make sure to have it ready when you get home and to serve it to you while she is wearing your favourite skimpies and a smile!!!!"

1. Defeats my object!
    2. I have!
    3. Doilles? This ain't the 70's!! :rotfl:
    4. I have!
    5. Nah!! :thumbsdow
    6. Already done....but black leather? This ain't the 80's!
    7. Game Cube, c'mon :suicide:
    8. If I owned an 80ft screen you wouldn't see the Matrix let alone LOTR!!! :lesson:
    9. Why would I want her wearing my favorite skimpies? They'd be too big & She's got her own!!! :smashin:

................But thanks anyway!!!

Back to the keystone question, does it really degrade enough for the average joe? Surely to a certain extent its relative to the source anyway? Keysone will look better on a £1000 DVD player than on an £50. won't it???

16. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, it will look equally bad on either/both :p

To the average "joe" (as you put it), the "wow" factor will initially far outweigh the detriments of keystone.

It undeniably degrades picture quality but whether significantly enough to effect the viewer is, well............entirely up to the viewer :eek:

Why not consider a unit with optical "lens shift"? This would be far better than using digital keystone correction.

:smoke:

17. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kramer,

Haven't heard of lens shift????

What is it?

Thanks

18. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to convince the missus that a projector is a thing of great beauty. A new dress (for the missus that is :D ) might do the trick…..

Lens shift on Sanyos is a mechanical means of moving the picture up/down and side to side without degrading the picture (until you get near the limits) – in the case of the Sanyo Z2 you can move the picture quite a lot (I can’t remember exactly how much – half the width of the screen?!) Anyway, it works brillantly.

19. Dave A

Dave A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's taken me three years to negotiate me getting a pj with her in doors. The final deal was she could get a new suite after we got the pj. Can't believe she fell for it as the pj is in and still no new suite!!!

Have a look at my set-up which is not perfect but is wife friendly as when not in use you can't see it. For info the pj is a ae200.

B&Q mini trunking cured the cable problems.

http://photos.freeserve.com/public/detail.html?c_album=523785

20. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    back to the real world...... If you can have a cabinet of some sort on the wall opposite the screen, you could mount it in there (making sure there is sufficient ventillation). This is what i used to do.

ad

21. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much agonising over ever possible solution, the only solutions I was prepared to accept were that a) the projector was completely hidden and b) could be in place without any faffing around with cables, settings etc.

Just to point out that the options for the projector mentioned below are because we have internal stud walls (plasterboard).

The idea we implemented was to cut a hole in the wall and mount the projector in a self-built alcove. The cables are fed to the projector up through the wall. A mirror hides all of this and when we want to view you just slide the mirror to one side.

The screen is mounted and hidden by a pelmet. When not in use you can't notice it at all.

Another option which I considered where it isn't possible to knock a hole all the way through, would be to remove the plasterboard on one side of the wall, revealing a gap of around 4 inches or so. You can then mount the projector flat against the wall. When needed you would just pull it down into place in a similar fashion as you may have seen ironing boards mounted vertically.

A mirrow or picture could be used to hide it.

HTH
    MerMan

22. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Stace
    A projector may be a small personal dream for some. ie. to have a cinema in ones own house, if it is not a dream (even a small one) why r u making a fuss??

1. Defeats my object!
    2. I have!
    3. Doilles? This ain't the 70's!!
    4. I have!
    5. Nah!!
    6. Already done....but black leather? This ain't the 80's!
    7. Game Cube, c'mon
    8. If I owned an 80ft screen you wouldn't see the Matrix let alone LOTR!!!
    9. Why would I want her wearing my favorite skimpies? They'd be too big & She's got her own!!!

My list was a gag BTW,
    But:::
    1. men don't wear skimpies (unless Stace becomes Stacey at weekends??)
    2.If u had a 80ft screen it probably wouldnt fit in your house!!
    3. LOTR is a classic , Matrix 1 is ok admittedly the next 2 are pants
    4. Black leather done well is a classic! unless you buy tat from DFS!!

Methinks you lie about the trouser wearing!!!

23. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spacecat,

I know you where jokin.....So was I!!!!

I'll let ya have 1 & 2 (That doesn't mean I cross dress though!!) but you can't have 3 & 4 I'm afraid :devil:

I do wear the trousers but good point on the skimpies!!! :rotfl:

Anyone know the limits on lens shift?

24. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Huh? sorry dozed off there for a bit;)

The lens shift is very flexible, pretty much half the screen IIRC. Not sure its that flexible that it'll mean you can put it out of sight in the corner of the room.

The is a link to a german demo site somewhere, I'll try and track it down.

I have it anyway so let me know your email and I'll send it to you. Be aware it's 6meg.

25. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    yep that was mine, the thread doesnt have the pics anymore :( but my sig has them as I hosted them on my own site :)

check out the sig link as I had the same problem and this is how I got round it :cool: