where do sainsbury's get their staff????

ocdwhiteboard

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just been into our local sainsburys to buy some bits for dinner. when I got to the checkout I was asked by the girl on the till what this vegetable was, now this happens from time to time (usually with something exotic) but this was....

A LEEK! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now is it just me or should pretty much everyone know what a leek is? Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy but I think this is pretty disgraceful. Any one agree or am I being over sensitive? :rolleyes:

LOL........maybe she had led a sheltered life?

What :eek: you had a leek at the checkout. :nono:

Surely anyone of the Pokemon generation knows what a leek is, Farfetched carries one. What am i admitting to here :)

Dave

i think we can blame lack of knowledge on food (to a certain degree) on the amount of processed food people are buying as opposed to buying fresh food!

owain_thomas said:
Now is it just me or should pretty much everyone know what a leek is? Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy but I think this is pretty disgraceful. Any one agree or am I being over sensitive? :rolleyes:

I think it is pretty disgraceful shopping in a supermarket. Especially for vegetables. You can buy them much cheaper and fresher at a local market, and the farmers get a fairer deal for their produce. Not to mention all the waste you save by not buying packaged ***** the supermarkets dish out! :D

Games Guru said:
I think it is pretty disgraceful shopping in a supermarket. Especially for vegetables. You can buy them much cheaper and fresher at a local market, and the farmers get a fairer deal for their produce. Not to mention all the waste you save by not buying packaged ***** the supermarkets dish out! :D

The trouble with local farmers market are that, there isn't one open when the wife says, "get x, y, and z on your way home" when you finish work at 6 or 7pm.......

I think it is pretty disgraceful shopping in a supermarket. Especially for vegetables. You can buy them much cheaper and fresher at a local market, and the farmers get a fairer deal for their produce. Not to mention all the waste you save by not buying packaged ***** the supermarkets dish out!

fair enough but I only wanted a leek, some basil and some parsley so I thought I'd save the petrol and go to sainsburys on the way home. there is not a green grocers within a reasonable distance that I could be sure I'd get those three things from, if there was I'd certainly use it. I suppose that's a different rant though...

The trouble with local farmers market are that, there isn't one open when the wife says, "get x, y, and z on your way home" when you finish work at 6 or 7pm.......

Nail on head.

Games Guru said:

quite right too......but then you are biased :D

Sainsbury's are rubbish...I'm surprised they had stock of what you wanted

Can't believe it the 2nd reply made the obvious joke :rolleyes: Shouda been the 1st

A good few years ago I went into WHSmiths looking for a "Callan" book by James Mitchell called Russian Roulette.
The helpful assistant told me that all books on games are on the next section.

Had a similar incident in one of our Tescos stores, which is in a bit of a 'chavvy' area. I was after some Mozzerlla. Had a look in the cheese section, but couldn't for the life of me find it, so I went and asked one of the staff memebers, very politiely. The respsonse from them: "Wot is it?". My reply "It's a type of cheese - you know, the sort of cheese you'd find on pizza, that type of thing". Reply, "Well if we've got any it'll be over 'ere, innit!"!

owain_thomas said:
Just been into our local sainsburys to buy some bits for dinner. when I got to the checkout I was asked by the girl on the till what this vegetable was, now this happens from time to time (usually with something exotic) but this was....

A LEEK! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Used to work for Sainsbury’s till it turned into a joke. The mrs is a checkout supervisor there still. The problem you describe is so bad at her store that she has to take a basket of rarer fruit and veg around when its quiet and test the cashiers. Somebody already hit the nail on the head the problem stems from a new generation of finicky eaters and microwave meals meaning that people generally don’t know what real food looks like. :rolleyes:
Of course Sainsbury’s want to avoid this because cashiers are just guessing what the products are and so for any weighed items will probably sell for less than they should, with the customer smiling politely to themselves. Of course if the cashier chooses something more expensive and the customer is overcharged, then they have to go and stand in annoying queue at customer services and listen to the women in front moaning about the fact that Asda or Tesco sell this product so why don’t Sainsbury’s. :rolleyes: Leaving me to sigh in relief that I only had to work part time and got out of there when I did. Most of the staff are stupid the management are morons and the customers just wonder around in there self important fashion selecting pre packed washed and chopped carrots.
We had some friends round for lunch on Sunday and whilst I was preparing the dinner they commented on how strange it was that I was making my own roast potatoes. “Why don’t you just get some aunt bessies?”.
Convenience culture just another nail in Britain’s coffin. Wheres the exit?

^ while I agree to some extent, has anyone had this problem at Asda or Tesco's?

Aunt Bessies, ah, I do have some in the freezer, that I use in emergencies. There is a place for convenience food, like when everything goes pear shaped at work, nightmare traffic, finally get kids to bed 2 hrs late and; Oh it's 9:00pm, guess we should eat.

But I do hate serving up stuff that I could have made 5 times nicer and 10 times cheaper.

dave

PS especially beer ;)

Edit:
@LFC yes tescos, yes asda, not waitrose (do their extreme prices mean they pay a decent salary or at least train their checkout staff)

dave

Iam sure all supermarkets have the same problems as Sainsburys with Fruit and Veg and with idiotic staff. I never miss an opurtunity to have a pop at sainsburys tho :D

Regmarch said:
Aunt Bessies, ah, I do have some in the freezer, that I use in emergencies. There is a place for convenience food, like when everything goes pear shaped at work, nightmare traffic, finally get kids to bed 2 hrs late and; Oh it's 9:00pm, guess we should eat.

But I do hate serving up stuff that I could have made 5 times nicer and 10 times cheaper.

dave

PS especially beer ;)

Have to agree with that great thing for an emergancy unexpected guests etc. I also hate serving up stuff that I could make better and cheaper myself. Still I do draw the line with microwave meals wouldnt eat one of them if you payed me. :)

LFC_SL said:
^ while I agree to some extent, has anyone had this problem at Asda or Tesco's?

We've done the odd online shop from Tescos, they sometimes even get the order right, but sometimes they go crazy with substitutions if stock is not available.

eg we requested apple juice (a 4 pack of 1L cartons)
they didn't have any 4 packs, so instead of providing 4 single 1L cartons (the obvious choice), guess what they gave us ??

You won't believe this.....

a bottle of red wine !

Fair enough - I like red wine, but my young daughter doesn't, especially with her breakfast.

BTW I've noticed you can buy wine and beer at petrol stations now :eek:

stealther said:
Iam sure all supermarkets have the same problems as Sainsburys with Fruit and Veg and with idiotic staff. I never miss an opurtunity to have a pop at sainsburys tho :D

Just out of interest, We have a superb photo of my wife's great uncle outside JS Sainsbury proudly sitting on his JS delivery bicycle (Stepney way) at the beginning of the last century (early 1900s), I wonder what JS would think of his company now? (Other than he thought of "Sainsburys to you" a hundred years ago) :thumbsup:

dave

Regmarch said:
Just out of interest, We have a superb photo of my wife's great uncle outside JS Sainsbury proudly sitting on his JS delivery bicycle (Stepney way) at the beginning of the last century (early 1900s), I wonder what JS would think of his company now? (Other than he thought of "Sainsburys to you" a hundred years ago) :thumbsup:

dave

There latest advertising campaign "Try Something New Today" might just pull them back on track who knows. But as an employer IMO they went really down hill in the last few years they were great when I first joined in 2000 though.

On line deliveries :rotfl:

How would you like your bananas mashed?

We didn't have any size 5 nappies so we sent size 3

We didn't have the whole Peking duck you were hoping to have for supper so we substituted nothing

You ordered lo fat so we sent butter

And the one that really gets me ;)

We didn't have 24 cans of Speckled Hen in stock, so we sent you 3 bottles :rolleyes:

EDIT: to be fair those are experiences in general, not Sainsbury in particular

Oh Bu**er it's 9:37 and I haven't put the tea on.

spag bol tonight then, how fast can I rustle up homemade :)

dave

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom