1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do I stand?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Fordy, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yesterday, I spotted what was obviously a mistake. Angel Season 1 box set £6.89 on dvdplus.co.uk. (Dont bother going there now they removed the title this morning).

Obviously I swooped in and bought it. But, it was listed as out of stock, but the order completed anyway and I recieved a acknowledgement email.

This is a legally binding contract right? They now have to honor this transaction, right?

I'll sit on this for as long as I have to for this bargain.

But where do I stand?

Thanks in advance

Fordy

2. Herbal

Herbal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless they've taken money then No, but they could try the old Out of stock and then refund you, and get stock 'hmm' the next day. The only one is Choices that i know for sure that will accept online mistakes

3. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If it's an obvious mistake, they don't have to honor the contract, as far as I am aware, but some companies do for good will. Depends on the amount of the error, I suppose.

4. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    No they haven't taken the money, which is a first. Usually online retailers take the cash before looking at the order in or out of stock in my experience. Do you think its likely they will contact me, or do you think they'll ignore me and hope I forget?

5. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    So much for good will

Heres the email I recieved tonight

"Unfortunately ‘Angel Season 1 Box Set’ has been removed from the DVDplus website due to a supply problem.

We have no confirmation of when the product will be available for sale, as such we have been left with no option but to cancel your order and apologise for the disappointment caused. "

Well sod you, this is why we buy from the states, things are cheaper there.

Any bets this is on sale again next week at full price

I'm not bitter:)

I just won't be shopping at dvdplus ever again

6. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Did anyone else out there get the same message?

7. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It does seem like a bit of a cop out on their part. It would have looked better if they had come clean and admitted the mistake, rather than trying to fob people off with another excuse.

On the other hand, isn't that being a bit drastic? Put the boot on the other foot for a minute, if you will. You were quite willing to have that item off them, knowing full well the price had been mistaken, but because they realised their mistake, and you didn't get away with it, you're peed off at them?! What if they had sold it to you, and then said as you bought it knowing the price was wrong, they would never sell anything to you again? Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a swipe at you, Fordy, I'm just seeing it from the other side as well. ;)

8. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Simon, I only said i wouldn't buy from then again because of the cop out not because I didnt get away with a bargain. I've been in this situation before and come away with a money off voucher for my trouble. Play still have my custom for that reason. My past dealings with dvdplus have been less than favourable.

On another note the graphic dvdplus displayed for the angel box set had the "start your collection" sticker advertising the promotion fox was running before xmas. I got NYPD S1 blue for £20 in that offer, I swear angel S1 never turned up under that promotion. Did anyone see it for sale around the £20-25 price bracket?

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You never know, maybe they do have a supply problem...

10. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I ordered Angel series 4 (R2) from Play when they made a mistake and put it up for £47.99. It's still under my preorder history as £47.99 but is £58.99 on the website.

I guess I'll find out in a few weeks if Play have a 'supply problem' with this or whether they complete the trade at the current price. They're very good for customer service though, so I'm hoping they do.

11. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Aren't the R2 angel box sets cheap on cdwow? If play dont… play then give them a try. If it is in stock though, play should honor the deal but only if they have taken the funds from your account.

12. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's £55.99 on CDWOW - and that's before added VAT/duty...:suicide:

Hopefully Play will honour it, but they don't charge until the item is dispatched so it's possible for them to refuse to accept it.

I've taken a screen print of my preorders page though:devil:

13. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think whether or not a company honours an incorrect price depends on how many orders they get for it. If only a handful of people get an order in before they fix it, I think most companies will just ship the orders and chalk it up to the cost of doing business online. (provided you're not buying numerous copies of the item)

I've gotten a few amazing deals like this, but if a company decides not to honour the discount price, then that doesn't bother me too much. I've got a few pre-orders waiting at a rediculously low price, but I'm still not sure if the original price will stand. I think of it like a game. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. :)

14. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    HI,

From a legal point, there is often a clause put on shopping websites, magazine ads, etc for just this kind of problem. Somewhere on the website in question, in amongst all the "small print", there will be the following letters:

"E&OE"

This means "Errors and Omissions Exempt". Basically, if it's a mistake, they have the legal right to immediately withdraw any orders for that item, and cancel them - at their discretion. In other words, customers don't have a leg to stand on. It's a get-out-of-jail-free card, for them!

Pooch