Where do I stand - Ebay

• Thread starter Deleted member 174041
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 174041

I bought some insulation from ebay about two weeks ago (16th May). I haven't had anything delivered so contacted the seller. There was no response so I opened up a case.

He got back to me saying that the parcel had been signed for on the 19th May by (My Surname).

I got back to them saying I wasn't in that day and yes the surname is mine but I wouldn't sign for it like that. I've asked them to provide the signature details from the courier.

He is a trade seller and I believe what he's saying but if its been signed for, will ebay /paypal side with me or them.

Normally the item is marked as despatched and often includes tracking information. Insulation is pretty big usually. Did any neighbours see it being delivered?

Or has your account been hacked? Is your registered address correct? Mine was hacked and the prime address changed. I informed ebay, but don't know what they did - if anything.

Paypal will have to decide based on information provided, but on the face of it the seller seems to have done nothing wrong. Hope you find an explanation.

Last edited:
Has he provided you with the tracking details where you can see this signature? I'd imagine the tracking details would also contain the date sent, date delivered and address delivered to - check these match with the date you bought, address etc

It should help you tell if he's pulling a fast one or a genuine issue.

If he's a power seller you might as well write it off now. Same thing happened to me with a bike rack about 6 months ago. Paid £20 and it never showed up. Contacted him and he said he sent it and it had been signed for. After investigating, I found out it was delivered to an MoT station about 50 miles from where I lived (no idea how it got there). I told him this and he said as it had been delivered and signed for at the address given (even though it was the wrong one), he wasn't obliged to refund or send me a replacement. I raised an escalation as I had all the evidence and eBay inexplicably sided with him because he had the evidence he had posted it and it had been signed for so they said I wasn't eligible. Complete and utter madness.

I couldn't even leave negative feedback. Besides it being full of scammers and copies, these two nuggets amongst others are the reasons I very rarely use eBay anymore. It's now a joke of a classifieds because it is now primarily trader driven and the regular Joes like us have no chance when issues arise.

I hope you get lucky though and get a refund or the issue resolved.

Ebay usually side with the buyer.
Which annoys sellers, because there are unscrupulous buyers out there that will claim non-delivery even when they have the item (thereby getting a refund or another item for free).
I'd stick by your truthful 'not got it' stance.
Up to the seller to then argue with the courier company.
Not your place to argue with courier company, the contract isn't between you and them.

After investigating, I found out it was delivered to an MoT station about 50 miles from where I lived (no idea how it got there). I told him this and he said as it had been delivered and signed for at the address given (even though it was the wrong one), he wasn't obliged to refund or send me a replacement. I raised an escalation as I had all the evidence and eBay inexplicably sided with him because he had the evidence he had posted it and it had been signed for so they said I wasn't eligible. Complete and utter madness.
Did you give the wrong address or it was delivered to the wrong address?

Couldn't you claim from Royal Mail/Courier if it was delivered to the wrong address?

Did you give the wrong address or it was delivered to the wrong address?

Couldn't you claim from Royal Mail/Courier if it was delivered to the wrong address?

No, because it was delivered and signed for - just not by me. As he had proof he sent it to my address and it was signed for, he was in the clear. It was just crazy. Even better the courier company sent a picture of where the driver delivered it to and it clearly showed an MoT station...:facepalm:

Someone there obviously took the delivery and thought, "I'll have that" and signed for it.

I wasn't arsed for £20 but it annoyed me.

True, but probably should've complained to the courier as the driver was useless.
Might save you from future hassles of other parcels being delivered to the wrong address.

I'd check your ebay account hasn't been hacked. Mine was and they changed my address and other settings. Fortunately they didn't change the alternate email settings so I was able to request a password change and get into my account.

Thanks for the replies everyone. After a few conversations with the seller he agreed that the signature looked false and has agreed to send another parcel out. He said the courier company aren't being helpful at all so I think he understands that they must have cocked it up.
Not his fault so when I receive the parcel he'll be getting a positive :)

Good to hear a positive outcome. There is a tendency to rush into conflict, where simple communication is so often the answer.

Thanks for the replies everyone. After a few conversations with the seller he agreed that the signature looked false and has agreed to send another parcel out. He said the courier company aren't being helpful at all so I think he understands that they must have cocked it up.
Not his fault so when I receive the parcel he'll be getting a positive :)
Strange, I don't see how the seller can agree that the signature looks false. He doesn't know you, so how does he know what is a right or wrong signature?

Sounds a bit fishy to me still but either way great result, glad you have a resolution to your issue, which clearly wasn't your fault

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom