Where do i position my AV speakers

MV Owner

Standard Member
People,

Bought a Boston Acoustics Soundware 5.1 from Richer Sounds Weybridge. Thoroughly nice and helpful bunch of guys.

I also purchased a Denon 1910 from elsewhere.

I spoke to one of the guys in Richer Sounds who provided some advice on where to mount my 5 x Boston small speakers.

I know they are experts but I would like some other opinions. I have attached a photograph of a not to scale plan of my living room with the TV in the corner, seating position, windows and door.

Please note I cannot move the seating position or the TV positions

Please can people view the attached and suggest positions that I ncould mount the speakers. I have identified the walls with numbers

thanks

MV

Attachments

• DSCN3832.JPG
    DSCN3832.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 136

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I would put the front L/R and centre all close to the TV. So the centre would be below and the L/R either side of the TV. This will not give you the widest soundstage but the best compromise given a corner TV position. For the rears I would put them in each corner along wall 1. The sub placement is less important so put it where it fits best. It may be worth trying a couple of locations if possible just to ensure you do not have any wierd room interactions going on.

MV Owner

Standard Member
thanks for your help. With respsect to the rear speakers, the guts in Richer Sounds said that I should not posiiton the rear speakers in the corners behind me but should position them say 1/3 way down walls 2 and 4 facing me. What are your thoughts on this as this will make them a bit obtrusive in the room. He also advised against mounting them up in the coving pointing down and that they should be more around ear level

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Ideally the rears should be about 30cm above ear level when sat down. Personally I would have them on the rear wall. You can put them up near the ceiling (not ideal but will be OK), just point them down so they point just above head height.

MV Owner

Standard Member
What are your thoughts about positioning the front right hand side speaker on either the side of the chimney breast furthest from the TV or the corner formed by walls 3 and 4? An alternative position is the side of the chimney breast closest to the TV

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I would keep the front speakers equidistant from the TV. This will narrow the soundstage a little but will imho give a better sound. Having the TV that much off centre of the speakers will give a strange effect with a very wide soundfield one side and narrow the other. So having the 2 speakers close to the TV is the best option.

philvella

Novice Member
the guys in Richer Sounds said that I should not posiiton the rear speakers in the corners behind me but should position them say 1/3 way down walls 2 and 4 facing me.

Daft idea, in the corners on Wall 1 will sound much better as you will get the full impact of the sound behind you and therefore front to back panning.

I agree with PSM1 :thumbsup:

MV Owner

Standard Member
People,

Thankyou for your helpful advice which is greatly appreciated.

I have managed to take some photographs which I have attached to and would apprecaite it if people could advise if they have any other thoughts regarding the positioning of the speakers.

I have had comments from colleagues that have suggested that the LHS front speaker should be just to the LHS of the TV and the RHS front speaker should be over in the corner above the tubular lamp.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

MV

Attachments

• DSCN3833.jpg
    DSCN3833.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN3834.jpg
    DSCN3834.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN3835.jpg
    DSCN3835.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN3836.jpg
    DSCN3836.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 63

PSM1

Distinguished Member
As I have said I would keep both front speakers equidistance from the TV so the LH one is next to the LHS of the TV and the RH one is next to the RHS of the TV. Anything else will give a very distorted front soundstage and imho sound wrong.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom