Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Where do Denon multi-region hacks come from?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by IanW, Aug 29, 2003.

1. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Okay guys, I have a Denon DVD-A1 and as standard it is Region 2. Now unlike companies like Arcam who actually build their machines as Multi-region and then use handset hacks to control the region, this one is programmed to be Region 2.

Like most UK owners I have had my machine upgraded to Multi-region, but where does this software come from? Are there different people creating different versions of multi-region mods? How do I ensure that the multi-region mod is not going to cause problems with the firmware on my player?

As always, your thoughts please.

Ian.

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    As far as I know, the MR software comes from Denon reps, and is intended to update the software in the player to fix bugs, but has the side effect of making the player multi region.

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Denon claim that they do not make the MR firmware and will always DENY production of the MR firmware. I think this is just to cover their arse in case the studios want to be legally technical about MR.

At the end of the day, who would be able to write firmware for Denon players apart from Denon???

If the firmware WAS created by some third party company - surely Denon would not be keen to publish this to dealers and reps and encourage its use!!!!

My money is on Denon Japan - they seem to do all the firmware fixes so it is logical that the MR firmware mods come from them also...

JJ

4. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Choose either;

a) teams of diligent swiss elves beavering away in caves in the Alps to produce wonderful firmwares to release to us all and bring joy and laughter to all the multi-region home cinema enthusiasts of the world...

OR

b) crack teams of russian uberhackers with dreadlocks and names like 'dE5tR0y' reverse engineering code with hand crafted supercomputers merely for the kudos of showing it can be done..

OR

c) cynical Denon operatives who can keep faith with the DVD Forum ('Multi region machines? Us? No way mate?') release it via the back door, sell more machines AND provide them with ultimate deniability if these upgrades hose your machine..('sorry, must be that dodgy firmware you've been messing around with thats locking up your machine/giving you blocky MPEG decoding etc. etc.)

Personally my moneys on c) too but I'd love to believe in a) (and if they can, while they're at it, produce silent, brilliantly bright, cheap laser projectors they'd make me even happier..).

Regards,
    Ian Guinan
    (one stella too many and forgot to take my anti-cynicism pills..)

5. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    p.s. for my next post I'll be dealing with the thornier topics of;
    'Where do babies come from?'
    'How do the fairies collect all those teeth from beneath pillows?'
    and
    'Why does Santa keep bringing me socks when I clearly asked for a Denon DVD-5900 in black with multi region and functioning DVI?'
    :D

Ian Guinan