WHere did my gas go?

RHCP

Prominent Member
Reaction score
We've recently had a gas boiler installed (never had one before).

We're on a pay as you go meter (expensive). The remote thermostat (if that's what its called) controls the temperature of the radiators.

2 days ago I switched the remote to zero it had £3.70 in the meter. When I came home it had £2.70. So I though that I would switch the central heating and the water off from the boiler. and it still went down 50p!!

Does the boiler burn gas(or whatever it does) when the water is switched on but not being used?

Does the boiler burn gas (how much) when it is switched off from the thermostat?

Does the boiler have to be switched off altogether to not use any gas?

I'm spending a fortune on gas, cheers for any help :)

if you turn of the power to the boiler you can not burn any gas, unless you have a gas fire, gas hob or other gas device in the house. Or a leak or next door have taped into your supply.

Maybe there's a standing charge of 50p a day for rental of the meter?

But just by being switched on is it burning (my money away) gas?

The pilot light would take 'some' gas, but as eric said maybe you have a rental charge.

Eric is correct, there is a daily standing charge on that type of meter. Modern boilers don't have a constantly on pilot flame, so it won't be using any gas unless it's heating water or the central heating is on.

But just by being switched on is it burning (my money away) gas?

if its an older boiler with a pilot light thats on all the time it may burn a tiny amount, but it should not burn gas unless theres demand for hot water or heating

If it's a combi boiler some have a preheat cycle that keeps a store of hot water in the boiler to speed up delivery of water, could be that.

Maybe there's a standing charge of 50p a day for rental of the meter?

Do i get charged 50p a day, what a rip off, what are the alternatives?

its well known that the pay as you go meters are a total rip off and whats worse they are screwing the poorest people in society...

I think the only option is to get a normal type meter installed and pay on DD, although that's not always an easy option especially if you rent, don't have a job or have a poor credit history.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/mar/06/householdbills.consumeraffairs

I've never heard of a meter going down without using gas, I know you pay premium rates for each unit of gas, but to have the meter auto-deduct anything seems very odd. I'd ring your gas board and ask.

Dave

im pay as you go,old gas boiler i have a switch
a,water
b, water & heating
c, off (pilot light still on)
if i turn the thermo down it will turn the heating off.
in the airing cupboard (for want of a better word)
there is a thermostat which can be turned down mines about 55 degrees
also on the boiler its self is a dial i have set to about 3 i think it goes up to 6 i put about £10 - £15 a week in £20 when its minus 5 less in the summer if we have one that is
every energy company has a standing charge thats how they make money

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom