Where can you hire lenses?

edwara

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just bought a new 350D from Currys (thank you very much to this forum!) to upgrade from my D30. I have two 'standard' lenses that came with my D30, so am now looking to upgrade them as well.
My planned purchases are :
Sigma 12mm-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX (for landscapes)
Canon 24mm-70mm f/2.8L (for general stuff)
and maybe in the future
Sigma 80mm-400mm f/4.5-5.6 EX (for nature)

Is it possible to hire lenses from anywhere in the UK? As I could possibly go down the route of hiring at least the 400mm lens when I need it. Saving a fair bit of money I hope!

Thanks.

Blimey - anyone want to hire my D70/18-70? At those prices I'd have paid for it in a couple of weeks or so :D

Thanks Tomson.
From those prices it seems that it only makes sense to hire if you are doing something specific (like going on Safari).
For the lenses that I would use fairly often I guess it makes sense to bite the bullet and get my wallet out!

Cheers.

I've been thinking about the very same. I really wanted to try out the 16-35 against the 17-40. I recall you have the 17-40 Tony. How does it cope with available light in doors?. For the price of the 16-35 i could get the 17-40 the 50 1.4 and the 70-200 F4 if i throw a few quid on top.

Ideally i'd like the 16-35 the 24-70 and the 70-200 2.8 IS. I'm not normally one for letting my wallett (or comman sence) get in the way of something i want but this is a lot of money and it needs to be well thought out.

Then there's the prime route, that i also like the sound off:rolleyes:

I need to bite the bullet myself, but just so many bullets to choose from, and so much i want:rolleyes:

The 17-40 lens was excellent, both indoors and out. I paid about £450 for it at the time. The reason I sold it on was mainly because there wasn't *that much* difference to a non-L lens when printing 10 x 8 or less. I didn't think keeping it was justifiable. If you are going to get the use out of it then I'd highly recommend one Seany.

I know i would mate. Just F4 could be a bit slow for me, i know that from the 18-55.

I don't want to have to change lenses when i come indoors say. I need to see if jessops will let me have the two to test them out. If anybody could find me a link for a test with with identical shots from the 16-35 shot at 2.8 and the 17-40 shot at F4 i'd be really greatful, i cant seem to find one. Only side by sides but at the same aperture

Then there's the limited bokeh you get with F4

I think i said this already but the premium in cost and weight for the extra stop became a nogo for me when it started to become easy to let the sensor swallow the difference. As with all things YMMV, and i do still hire big wide primes for the odd trip out.

I realise the 20D is great with high iso's but it's not the same as a full stop, plus with the extra stop and decent iso on the 20D i'd get even more from the 16-35, the weight not an issue for me

I really don't want F4 for indoors, plus much better bokeh with 2,8

Maybe the 24-70 and a wide prime is the way to go.

I think you're right about wanting a 2.8. But why not get yourself a 50/1.8 and have a play with it - try it with f2.8 and f4 (setting your camera to Aperture priority is probably the easist way) and see how you get on with each setting, see if you can get acceptable results at a useable shutterspeed. You can always sell it without a loss on ebay if you buy it from 7dayshop.

I'm currently weighing up the odds of a Sigma 24-70 2.8 and a Tamron 28-75 2.8... gonna pick one of them up later in the month. After that it's either summut wide or a Sigma 70-200 2.8 - which seems to offer a bit more than Canons similar offering.

seany said:
I realise the 20D is great with high iso's but it's not the same as a full stop, plus with the extra stop and decent iso on the 20D i'd get even more from the 16-35, the weight not an issue for me

Much comes down to what you are willing to "accept" i guess. For me f4 at say 800iso produces an output i'm as happy to use as f2.8 at 400iso. BUT i don't take a huge number of indoor shots and don't print above 10*8. OTOH, i do spend hours lugging my gear around on my back and shooting at f8... so replaced the 70-200 f2.8 with the f4 when it arrived.

I'd take tomson's steer here... get the 50 f1.8 and see what you need.

I use it now on the kit and it's just not enough for me to be honest.

I was thinking of getting the 17-40 and the 50 1.4 for available light then the 70-200 F4.

I'm thinking a prime and the 24-70 more and more. I'll have something by weekend i hope

I'm clearly just lazy... about to chop in my 70-200F4L and 300F4L for the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO :)

It's a tough choice mate isn't it. I'm thinking of a lens collection i will be happy with for years to come. I seem to take more street shots then anything else. No wildlife apart from urban foxes:laugh: so 300mm is not something i'll need for some time

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom