1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can I see a decent LCD demo?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jayjay, Jan 25, 2005.

1. jayjay

jayjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi team

We're looking for a new 26" or 32" LCD after living with a 32" Loewe Xelos for a couple of years. We love the picture quality of the Xelos but for practical reasons can no longer use it.

I'm primarily attracted by the size of an LCD and understand the picture quality won't be as good as a nice CRT. It's impossible to tell from the crap set-ups in-store from the chains so would love your advice on where I can get to see a good demo in central London.

I quite like the look of the Sharp LC32GA4E or the 26" and they seem to be popular here. What's the guts on them? Are they good in comparison to the Loewe and are they reasonably future proofed.

Any help very appreciated.

Cheers Jay

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You'll get a good demo almost anywhere you decide - even Comet! You've got to bully them...

Pick your favourite shop with the selection of TV's you want to test. Go in or phone them and ask them to set up sets x,y and z with good DVD players and, if possible, Sky or Freeview feeds. If they won't then go elsewhere.

As you have discovered, these shops do nothing to promote their LCD products and you really have to push to get them to display them the way you want.

When you go for the demo, go prepared. Know what questions to ask regarding connectivity and 'Future Proofness' (New word). Also a good idea to know enough about what you are talking about so you can decipher what the salesman is saying - ie is he talking sense or ......not.

Which sets you choose to test is another whole discussion. You've picked the Sharp LC32GA4E for example. Fine choice, but currently difficult to get.

You're used to a 32" CRT, so the 26" LCD would be a bit of a downsize. A 32" LCD sounds like a better bet. The picture is considerably bigger than the 32" CRT, but, of course the TV will take up much less room.

Check through these forum threads carefully and you'll soon see which TV's are leading the way. Sort out your retailer and go for it. You'll be surprised, a good LCD properly set up will blow you away. Better than CRT's at most things...

Jimmy

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Harrods AV would be a very good department to check out. They have by far the largest selection of TV's on display that I have seen (including some very exotic varieties as one might expect). Most would be fed with a decent feed too. As a previous Loewe owner, Linn, the distributers of Loewe in the UK have their very own section right next to the AV department (through the Sony section), where the Xelos SL and Spheros LCD's are also on display for comparison with your old Xelos CRT.

If you sign up for their store card, they have 10% off days too plus 14 days (from time of order so it may not always be enough) period which you can change your mind in.

-Ian

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The Sharp "G" series have DVI-HDCP, component, Scart and so you should be OK. I hope so. I have the 37GA4E! The 32GA4E seems to be coming back into stock, but avoid the low spec GA5E.

5. jayjay

jayjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thank you to everyone who responded, much appreciated.

I didn't explain that I'm new to London and although I know my way round, I don't know who the good retailers are. I would prefer to keep away from chains because of the demo facilities and I value the service that sometimes only the smaller retailers can offer.

If it helps my current plan is to go with a high-def compatible LCD that can be used in the lounge for Sky, freeview, Xbox, and movies off my Powerbook. (Hence only 26" Jim). We'll buy a projector later for the full on Home Cinema deal.

I'm a Naim convert and have the an AV2 and Naim power amplification. The new DVD5 (with DVI) seems the way to go but it'll have to be demo'd to prove it's not inconsiderable worth!

So a vote for Harrods, that sounds good. Anywhere else I should check out?

Jay

6. jayjay

jayjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No one else with any other recommendations for a dealer in London. Everyone buying off the net or something?

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The trouble is that most independant stores tend to charge considerably more than most online stores. Dramatic savings are to be had online. However that doesn't stop us making complete pests of ourselves at the likes of Comet then buying our favourite TV elsewhere if Comets price doesn't match up!

Cheeky, but sensible.

Jimmy