Where can I get terminal pins?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by EriX, Apr 25, 2007.

1. EriX

EriX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi Guys

I was messing around last night and decided (after reading on here about it) to make some cat5 speaker cables as I had some spare. After investigating I only had a 10m run unused which wasn't enough to do both front speakers so I decided to make a 1m cable for the centre first and it'd allow me to try out the technique.

The cable making process went fine but as my receiver is quite low-end (Sony STR-DE495) it only has spring clips on the back, and now the gauge of the combined cat5 was too large to fit comfortably.

Where can I get some generic terminal pins so I can neaten up the amp ends of the cable? I've seen some profigold, monster and ixos ones but they are too expensive really and I'd just like some basic unbranded ones.

I'm guessing that 4mm bananas don't fit into spring clips too?

Many thanks

Eric

2. EriX

EriX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Appears they are also called 2mm banana plugs.

edit: the cheapest I've been able to find are about £4 for 4.

3. EriX

EriX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for the suggestion, I might try the solder as the pins i've seen are only rated to take up to AWG14 cables and I think the ones I've created are closer to AWG10.

What are crimp sleeves?

4. EriX

EriX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for that shunyata.

What I did last night was to untwist the amp ends of the cable then just twist together 2 sets of the cat5 inner cables (separated into striped and non-striped for +ve and -ve) so effectively 8 of the inner conductors together. Then take the last set of 4 conductors and wrapped them tightly around the base of the other 8 so they wouldn't add to the thickness of the part going into the spring clips. I used a bit of insulation tape to finish it off as the shrink wrap I had wasn't large enough (when i get the chance I might get some and go back and finish them off again).

btw. I have some more cat5e arriving tomorrow so I can make a pair of cables for my mains, and I'm hoping to be able to hear the difference between the gale xl189 (£2/m ish) and the new ones. I've never been majorly sold on spending a lot on cable but by the things I've read I'm hoping to have this changed.

Thanks again

Eric