Question Where can I get Certified HDMI 2.1 cable?

LocutusH

Standard Member
Just throwing my experience in here with some questions.
I am using a 55CX with 3080 FTW3 Ultra.
4K 120Hz RGB 8 bit is always stable.
Once i turn on gsync, there is ocassional flicker. Sometimes, not always. Turning off and on instant game response (gsync on tv side) seems to always solve the image stability. If i raise the bit depth to 10 bit or even HDR, the flicker/nosignal/invalidsignal problem just gets more frequent.
So while i am able to use it 4k120gsync, i ocassionally have to work around a bit to get it stable.

I tried these two cables until now:
  • AudioQuest Pearl 48 1.5m - has no hdmi 2.1 certificate, but does 48gbps. Also costs quite a bit...
  • Club3D CAC-1372 2m - this has the certificate sticker on it, seems also a bit more stable.

Can anyone confirm his experience with these cables? Or another cables in the same situation?

chenks

are you sure you aren't just seeing the VRR issue that the LG CXs have?

chenks

That is a valid concern and one that I myself have considered. For me, if the cable was purchased from a company known to me to be reliable, and the QR label checks out, then I go with it. Leap of faith for sure. I know at one time HDMI.org was going to allow the cable bodies themselves to be stamped with Ultra High Speed HDMI but I haven't seen that yet. Certification is mostly for consumer confidence anyway so there's a bit of faith involved.

i've just had some 2m premium certified cables delivered.
the QR and hologram on the sealed bag scans and confirms certifited with correct make, however the QR reports them being 3M rather than 2M.

Screenshot_20210106-151425.jpg

Otto Pylot

i've just had some 2m premium certified cables delivered.
the QR and hologram on the sealed bag scans and confirms certifited with correct make, however the QR reports them being 3M rather than 2M.

View attachment 1436157
This is what HDMI.org indicates the QR label should look like for the UHS HDMI cable (HDMI 2.1). That's the QR label for PHS HDMI cable (HDMI 2.0). That being said, it should match what is in the package. If not, it could just be a mislabeled package or a clever counterfeit. Remember, Monoprice is just a reseller, they do no mfr their own cables.

Attachments

• UHS_Program_Identification_09282020.jpg
    UHS_Program_Identification_09282020.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 21

chenks

these cables do appear to be branded as monoprice, the QR code lists that as the brand, and
monoprice is printed on the actual cable itself alongwith "Premium High Speed HDMI(TM) Cable with Ethernet".

everything "looks" to be legit apart from the length being wrong on the QR code.

PXL_20210106_161319407.jpg

Otto Pylot

Then it's probably just a mis-packaged cable as long as you ordered a PHS HDMI cable and not a UHS HDMI cable 😉.

chenks

yep ordered PHS.
just shows though, the label could effectively be stuck onto any packaging (mistakingly or on purpose) and there really is no guaranteed way to confirm if the label matches the cable

Otto Pylot

As I've mentioned before, there is a certain amount of trust involved in the certification program and why I only order from reputable mfrs. Monoprice is certainly a reputable reseller but they are dependent on the mfrs who supply the cables to them as far as packaging, labeling, and product descriptions go so mistakes are bound to happen. Certification is mostly for consumer confidence anyway. It is not a 100% guarantee for reliability. If the cable works as expected/needed then it's a good cable. I have lots of certified cables here (UHS HDMI and PHS HDMI) and all of the labels scan correctly.

chenks

I bought 2 packs of 2 X 2M cables.
The qr code on both packs scans as 3M 🤷‍♂️

Otto Pylot

Don't know what to tell you then. If the cables works as expected then that's all that really matters.

Broken Hope

Looks like active optical cables will be able to be certified soon.

Another year of big accomplishments for the HDMI Forum
"The HDMI Forum didn't rest after releasing the 2.1 specification and 2020 was one of its busiest years ever," said David Glen of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. and President of the HDMI Forum. "We launched the Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable Certification Program (UHS Program) and now these UHS Cables are available in the market to enable full the 48 Gbps performance of HDMI 2.1. We also released the Compliance Test Specification for Active Cables, and end-users will shortly be able to purchase Active Optical Cables that support longer length installations, an important step in completing the HDMI 2.1 ecosystem." Regarding the future he added, "In addition to the great products released in 2020, we're expecting many new products in 2021 supporting the enhanced features of HDMI 2.1."

Otto Pylot

Looks like active optical cables will be able to be certified soon.
CableMatters has already announced their active, hybrid fiber cable that is supposedly labeled as Ultra High Speed HDMI and will come with the QR label of authenticity. They even have a model number but it is not currently available. The ATC they use, and are associated with is Granite Labs.

It appears that HDMI.org and HDMI LA has finally bent to industry pressure to allow certification for active cables, which is good news. However, certification is more for consumer confidence than a guarantee that the cable will work with all devices and installations. It will be interesting to see how well they fare in comparison to the current active hybrid fiber cables that are available now from reputable mfrs.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom