Question Where can I get AV receivers repaired?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RockinRobin, Mar 31, 2016.

1. RockinRobin

RockinRobin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello, does anyone know where I can take my AV receiver to be repaired?

I have a problem with my old Sony DA1200ES. It keeps flicking onto 'SP-OFF' in the middle of watching something. According to the manual it only comes on when headphones are plugged in, matching the unit's display of 'headphone mode', even with no physical connection. No amount of factory resetting has worked. The only solution I have found was by gently tapping the unit, which 'clicks' it back onto the original setting (speakers come back to life), which suggests there is a cable (possibly the headphone jack wires?) inside the unit that is loose, or shorting out somehow thereby tricking the receiver into thinking it's in headphone mode.

I have never opened up a receiver before and don't want to bork up a repair. This is an older unit I have demoted to the spare room. The main room is hooked up to a Denon 3200W which works wonderfully.

2. Chris4891

Chris4891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    You could try locating the chassis ground wire and relocating it.

I would have thought a local tv repair shop might undertake this relatively simple task if you don't feel like doing it yourself.

Have you tried holding the receiver and rotating it in all directions to see if you can hear anything moving inside (obviously if it's only a tiny wire you'll need to do it in a completely quiet environment).

Unplug it first!!! :smashin:

Good luck