1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can I get a sample DVD-R/RW (+ or -)??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stevem999, Feb 23, 2004.

1. stevem999

stevem999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there, I'm looking to buy a recordable DVD player and already own a Panasonic PV-55 player. I am told that this player does not accept DVD-R's or RW's, only DVD's, Audio CD's and VideoCD's. However I have seen numerous posts about players accepting discs they're not meant to officially - I would like to use my existing player as a bedroom player so would like it to be compatible with anything I archive off my Sky+ onto DVD-R - So, is there anywhere I can get a sample DVD-R to try out. I don't know ANYBODY with a recordable DVD player to try one from them - anyone got any ideas on how to test?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Have a look at the DVD players section of www.dvdrhelp.com - there is a searchable database that tells you want media is compatible with your player. On a more helpful note if you PM me your name/address I will send you a DVD-R recording - I won't be home until Saturday though so you'll have to wait until then.

3. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PM me your name and address and I'll happlily send you a DVD-R recorded on a Panny E50

4. stevem999

stevem999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for all the info - I'm taking up the offers via PM!

I suppose I also need to check out +R formats as well, in case -R doesn't work as I hear that +R is more compatible (but less flexible)??

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    NO! The DVD Alliance was very, very keen to spin information early on in the DVDR "war" based on there own calculations that DVD+RW and DVD+R were more compatible than the alternatives. The DVD Forum was slow to issue any information at all relating to compatibility until 'proper' tests had been done. As things stand the most comprehensive test is now the one at www.cdr-info.com which clearly rates DVD-R almost 8% more compatible than DVD+R. Infact the latter is LESS compatible than DVD-RW:
    http://www.cdr-info.com/Sections/DVDMediaFormats/Home.aspx

The figures are also supported by similar findings from the online user database over at www.dvdrhelp.com - again DVD-R is the most compatible format.

Greater DVD+RW/+R compatibility is a myth based on old propaganda from the DVD Alliance - which, unsurprisingly, they have gone very quiet about recently.