1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where can i get a dpl2 reciever?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by snake II, Jun 27, 2002.

1. snake II

snake II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    can anyone out there help me find a decent but cheap dplby prologic 2 reciver as i need this type to witness my gamecube surround sound feature, but the problem is it does not work on my dolby digital dvd reciever, so can anyone please help tell me to find a very cheap one
    cheers

2. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the cheapest prologic II amps out there are probably the Denon AVR-1602 or the Marantz SR4200 both about £300 each...

3. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can find the Kenwood KRF-V4060 for around £175, and there's a Panasonic one for a bit less. Sony are just bringing out the HTBE1, which is an amplifier/speaker package with Dolby Digital, DPL2 and DTS. It is designed with gamers in mind, though more specifically Playstation 2. Cheapest price is about £220 from Unbeatable, available around mid July.

4. Nero

Nero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i have the Yamaha HTR5540RDS got it for £280 a couple of days ago it has DPL2 also got NSP220S speaker package, Rogue Leader sounds the nuts.

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

If your current DD receiver has ProLogic (most do), then it will work.
    It won't be as good as ProLogic2, but it'll still work.

Most of the technology in DPL2 is in the decoder, not in the sound mix. Sure, they can use mixing tricks which will benefit DPL2 decoders a lot more than DPL ones, but at the end of the day, you still have to feed a two channel stereo signal into the amp.
    Whether you use DPL2, DPL, or plain old stereo, it'll still work, it's just that DPL2 will be better than DPL, which is no surprise really, as that's why Dolby designed DPL2 in the first place.

No doubt DTS will be along at some point with games designed for Neo6, and SRS Labs with their CS2 surround.......all variations on a similar theme (though perhaps some are better than others)