1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can I get a Cyberhome (or equivalent) Player?

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by Jon Weaver, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I finally got to the bottom of the 'Cyberhome' situation with Novatech.

What they are selling now is made by 'Actron' and is model no: AE-P710.

Even though the picture on the web site shows it to be a 'Cyberhome' ITS NOT!!! Its plastic and its performance is noticable inferior to the Cyberhome model.

Apparantly, they used to do an 'Argo' model, which I think was the Cyberhome varient.

Anyway, Novatech can no longer supply the Cyberhome players, so I am looking else where.

I refuse to pay £299 from Firebox, when Novatech were charging £233, so where else can I get one.

My only option is to wait for Dixons to restock the 'Newman' model, but its possible that this might not ever happen.

Has anyone been able to find a stock of the Cyberhome based player reasonably priced?

2. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,417
    short of buying and shipping from the USA, I think you may have to wait. Does the Cyberhome web-page not list authorised sellers? The US website definitely does...
    Do you know anyone off to the States in the near future?

Nabby

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I do actually, but asking him to pick up something like this, might be asking too much.

Are they readily available in the US? What sort of price should I be expecting to pay? Does the US model accept 240v and PAL?

4. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,417
    The model number is CH DVD-712, or something like that - the 712 is the important bit anyway! They can be bought in places like Radio Shack (where I got mine) and Target (a bit like Tesco or Asda). Check out their websites for more info and store locations. I paid $360 including sales tax and the carrying case that can be used as a mount in the car. Sterling equivalent on my cc bill was £210 but it would be cheaper now as the rate is better than when I went. PAL is not an issue as it converts and outputs the signal to PAL or NTSC. It has Prog scan too and all you need then is a "figure-of-eight" power lead with a UK 3-pin plug to fit into the multi-voltage AC adaptor it comes with. The guy in Radio Shack even gave me the code to make it multi-region! The best thing is it comes with the extended-life 4 to 4.5 hour battery that the UK model doesn't get.

5. JohnnyStar

JohnnyStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon,
    I don't know which Dixons you are looking at but most of the ones down here in London seem to have them - and it's a shorter trip to here than the US from wherever you like in the UK.

I demo'd one at Brent Cross. I was looking for the metal casing and the entire surface to lift up when ejecting - a la Cyberhome.

The whole surface lifts on eject, however, the sufaces are "made to look like metal" plastic. The playback on the Newman had the horizontal lines showing across the entire length of the picture when testing with The Two Towers DVD. Although the screen is two inches bigger, side by side with the Panasonic DVDLS5, the Panny picture was much clearer and sharper from the normal 1 metre distance viewing position.

For the record, as of last Friday the Dixons at Tottenham Court Road, and the top of Oxford St, and Brent Cross all had them in.

BS

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Cool... I will check out my local Dixons/Curry stores and see if they have stock.

I am surprised that they had 'made to look like metal plastic'.. The Cyberhome I looked at was certainly metal.. It was "metal that feels a bit like plastic" and was probably an alloy of some kind, but it was certainly metal.

7. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    You are right.. Just popped into my local Currys and they had 4 of them.

Surprisingly, they wern't badged by 'Newman', but "MP Man", but they are certainly a Cyberhome.

I will take down a few disks to demo, just to be sure the quality is the same, but it pains me to say that for once I might have to give my hard earned cash to the Dixons group!

8. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    sorry.. Posted in wrong thread!

9. JohnnyStar

JohnnyStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon, let me know how you get on with this player if you purchase one. I was sure the casing was plastic.

Did you notice the scan lines on the screen? From about 1 metre away the screen looks fine but that isn't the distance it will be used at. Less than a metre and you can see the scan. You can't see the lines on the Panny LS5.

I've delayed purchase now and revamped an old laptop to play dvds. Screen a bit dark and the case a bit heavy but I'm waiting for Panasonics 7" screens to come down a bit - £999 is a ridiculous price to pay.

J

10. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I had another look in Currys at the model badged by "MP Man" and its certainly metal.

I have seen the scan lines you talk about when looking at my colleagues Cyberhome and whilst they were a litle distracting, for a product like this, I am not overly worried.