1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can i demo a X1 or similar

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by img, Feb 1, 2004.

1. img

img

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Been looking for somewhere to demo an Infocus X1 but have no idea where to go. I Live in stevenage, Hertfordshire so just north of london. Is there any good shops in london anyone can reccomend.

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i live in north london too, only 30mins closer to the centre in finchley. I have not found anywhere closer than sussex yet but I am still looking. As far as you choice of the X1 goes, that was the projector i was thinking of getting but I have seen a couple of dlp projectors since then and the rainbow has really put me off, im now looking at the panasonic ae*00 range which look really good. Thats just my 2cent, chris

3. img

img

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    yer i wanted to see it to see if i get a rainbows. Doesnt seem to be anywhere with projectors less than 3 grand here.

4. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i would be willing to place bet on the fact that either you or your family/friends will see (and be annoyed by) rainbows. It depends how much you are willing to pay for a projector as to what you want to do. All the same though, some online sellers are quite tempting as they are cheaper and you can get it posted to you and if you dont like you can post it back for a full refund. just some other ideas

5. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    explicitlyrics,

I have an X1 and have found the rainbow artefacts to be very minimal, (1 instance last month over 15 films) and certainly no members of the family or friends that have had a viewing have commented on them. For the majority the whole rainbow issue is a non-event and blown out of all proportion. The X1 is a top selling budget machine in the US and has shifted reasonable numbers in the UK. If it was that bad for rainbows, I’d expect to see loads available second hand.

Paul

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ok my bad, i saw a £1800 DLP data projector during the week not long ago and even being with it for 20mins it started to annoy me, not because it disrupted the picture while watching but if i got up to finish work etc i saw them flash across the screen. I guess this pj is totally different to the X1 but i thought there would be more similarities than there are.

7. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Many people have report rainbow artefacts with DLP projectors, even more I suspect have no problem with them at all. The X1 is a budget machine with a low speed 3-segment wheel (in film mode) so is a good test of rainbow susceptibility. If you don’t see them with this PJ chances are you’ll be happy with most DLP units. When I initially purchased mine I had quite a few instances, but not enough to make me consider for a moment that this was a bad buy – great picture quality for the price. Instances have reduced even further with prolonged viewing (many others have also reported this, I hesitate to call it the ‘get use-to-it’ factor) and room/set-up conditions can reduce instances for many people. Grey screen and low ambient light (as opposed to no light) are just 2 ways to reduce rainbows.

I have no issue with people being warned about the potential problem, I just feel many don’t even consider low cost DLP unit because they have heard too many horror stories about the prevalence of rainbows. For me, all the LCD machines in my price range, that I viewed produced unacceptable pictures and seeing the X1 was a revelation.

Paul

8. img

img

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i found a place to demp infocus 4800 which im told same as X1 and 5700. Its on Tottenham court Road. You go downstairs to the shop. Cant remember what its called and lost piece of paper

9. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    yes on a sunday in tottenham court road you can do or find most things electrical...