1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where can i buy

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by baldbird, Jun 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been thinking about Sky + or Tivo for a while and think for me Tivo seems better 'cause of the lifetime subscription deal.
    Phoned Tivo and they don't sell Tivo boxes any more?????
    Any suggestions as to wheres best to get them, and bearing in mind that tivo must be a bit dodge at the minute.. Not selling boxes etc.
    Is it a good idea to get one (how long will lifetime sub last if they don't?
    Or line murdoch's pockets with sky+ ??

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the UK forum here for some leads:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/

TiVo's are getting pretty scarce, and some of the eBay auctions are going for rediculous prices, but if you're persistant, you can still pick one up.

Also, I don't know how "techno" you are, but I've heard about some companies clearing out their dead TiVos for next to nothing. 90% of the time, the problem with dead TiVos is a bad hard drive. Since it's really easy to replace the HD with a bigger one, you might be able to get a real deal on one of these. (course, you are taking a bit of a chance)

You're not only competing with the new owner market, but TiVo owners are notorious for buying additional boxes for one reason or another. So good luck. (it's definitely worth the hunt)

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Don't Tivo's rely on the software on the HDD to make it work? if so, picking one up with a dead HDD would be useless unless you could download the software from somewhere.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    TiVo software can be downloaded or there are a few companies that will sell you a drive with the software preloaded.

And yes I do have a spare TiVo just in case.........
    The strange thing about the Ebay auctions for TiVos is that they could not sell the boxes for £400 in Dixons, but now they are being sold for more than that second hand. :confused: If they had sold then they would still be available new. It wasn't until they were being sold at £99 that people started getting interested, but by then Tompson had stopped making them due to loosing money on them.

The reason you can't get a TiVo from TiVo (or should I say Sky :rolleyes: ) is because there are no units being made for the UK. TiVo are trying to find a company to make units for the UK, but being such a small market there is little chance of making any real profit. TiVo only make the software and then licence it to hardware companies such as Sony, Panasonic etc.
    TiVo are not dodge. In the USA they are making money and have boxes made by several large companies. TiVo is the largest selling PVR!
    TiVo have promised that they will not pull out of the UK, so your lifetime sub will last as long as the box does. Even if they did pull out you could still use the box as a digital recorder, just without the EPG and associate features.

Mark.