Where can I buy R 1 "The Haunting" (Signature Series) in UK?

Jim Robson

Established Member
Reaction score
Play247 insist that their Region One copy of The Haunting is only Dolby Digital 5.1.

Where do I buy a copy of the disc I'm after in the UK? It must be Region One and be the DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 version. Surely this shouldn't be a problem? I've become so used to buying from Play that I'm out of touch now that they've let me down! DTS Online want $82.26 inc delivery from the US + duty etc for their FedEx International service!

Regards

Jim :D

"Hi there,

I can confirm that our details are correct on our system. This title is only available on our system in Dolby Digital 5.1. We have cancelled your order. Any queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

PLAY"

Hmmm! :(

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Jim Robson ]

Jim,

when I bought mine I ordered it before a bank holiday weekend from Movietyme (changed address but www.movietyme.com still has a redirect) for £17.99

It was with me two working days later, after the weekend. I received a 'has been shipped' confirmation email late one night and received the disc the next morning. Now that is service!! I assume their UK distributor has a stock of these disks hence the speed. It usually takes about 5 days from there.

I can confirm that it is indeed the Signature DTS 6.1 Discrete edition. And it sounds awesome. Although, having said that, it is only half bitrate DTS. Imagine what full bitrate would sound like!!

Regards,

Matt

Thanks for the tip Matty. I've ordered it already. As you can see it's only £13.99 inc P&P!

Regards

Qty Name SKU Price Sub Total
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 HAUNTING - dts 123 £13.99 £13.99
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub Total £13.99
Shipping: I live in UK so my shipping is free! £0.00
Grand Total £13.99

Gawd! :eek:I cannot believe it!

Life's never simple is it? I thought it was all done and dusted until I received an e-mail from Movietyme which said:- "Hi,Thanks for the mail, I am not sure we can supply this disc for you as I think it is only DTS 5.1 not 6.1. Do you still require it if this is the case? Kind regards Norm MovieTyme

:mad: Here we go again!!! Undaunted, I contacted a very helpful young man at DTS in the UK who assured me that the R1 copy of The Haunting *was* DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete and if it wasn't, they'd send me a free copy themselves. Very fair, wouldn't you say? Well done DTS!

Let's hope this is the end of the saga!!

Regards

Jim :D :rolleyes: (Sorry, but I just love these Instant Kevins!) :p

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Jim Robson ]

Sorry to be a spoiler here, but !

I have in my hand a Region 1 signature series and it states on the rear 5.1 surround.

I too was interested in getting a DTS version but cannot source one.

Hi General!

Too late as it's on its way from LA so I'll let you know what it is when it arrives. It would appear to definitely be DTS at least and I have seen a picture of the cover (but not on MovieTyme's site I must admit) which states that it's DTS-ES. Here's what MovieTyme said today:-
"Hi Jim, this is an order ship notification to advise you that the following titles have shipped out of our Huntington Beach, Los Angeles office. Order Number: **** Title (s) Shipped From The Order: Haunting - DTS

If the powers that be would just release the same discs world wide (OK the languages would have to be different, I agree) with the same sound formats on them all, this hassle would be avoided. It's usually Region One that gets the best treatment while we Region Two punters receive the dregs! Why, I ask?

Regards

Jim :confused: :(

Jim,

I have in my hands also the R1 DTS-ES 6.1 disc of the Haunting.

On the Back it confirms this by stating:

"plays in discrete 6.1 channels on DTS-ES decoders. Fully compatible with DTS-ES Matrix 6.1,DTS-ES compatible, and DTS 5.1 decoders"

Then in the box below:

Language English 6.1 DTS-ES surround and Dolby Surround.

Hope this helps! If you have no luck then give me a mail, i might sell this copy as i dont have 6.1 es.

Cheers
PHIL.

Acording to the DVDPRO Database, there are two R1 versions of the disk.
One has DD5.1 and the other has DTS6.1.
So I guess that the Movietyme one is DTS6.1 - Keep you fingers crossed !
Russ

Thanks to THX1138, PFM, Russ and European for your interesting information. I took a magnifying glass to try and read the shots of the front and back covers of European's proffered website but couldn't quite read it properly. It certainly states DTS-ES but I'll just have to wait to see what arrives. With the informatin given by people on this thread it would seem that I'm certain to receive the DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete version as the only other Region One had Dolby Digital 5.1.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome when the disc eventually arrives.

Regards and thank you again!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom