1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can I buy Mission m71 speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by YJ, Jan 9, 2001.

1. YJ

YJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can I buy Mission m71 speakers?

Does anyone know where I buy a pair of m71's. They have been rated by some magazines as being brilliant. I've looked on the web and found only one place where I can get them. They are selling them for £120 including postage and packaging.

Are there any places where I can get them for a lower price?

Thanks in advance

2. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try:
    http://www.qed-uk.com/cgi-bin/q?b-grp=216&v-bar=9

they seem to be the only place that has the whole range, but they have only just been released. Shops in Tottenham court road have just got the m73 floorstanders, and the m7c1 in. So keep looking because they should be starting to become more availible now.

3. dvdbrowser.com

dvdbrowser.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,
    I'm thinking on the M72's.
    How did they compare to the M71's and M73's?

4. Dave

Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aye, the M71/72/73 all seem to be a bit scarce at the moment as Big Jim said a few shops in Tottenham Court road seem to have the M71/73 in stock. I demo'ed the M72/73 at Sevenoaks Hifi on saturday (very impressive) and plumped for the floorstanding M73's, but Sevenoaks didn't have any in stock and were'nt prepared to sell the demo pair, So I've ordered mine from QED, but even they phoned me yesterday to tell me they didn't have any in stock, 2-3 week wait, but seen as they are £50 cheaper then Sevenoaks I'm gonna wait. Happy hunting.

5. YJ

YJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link and the information of why they are rare to find. I think I might wait a while before I buy them. (So I can find them for a lower price.) In the mean time I'll just order a Denon AVR 3801 to upgrade my existing DPL amp.

I've noticed that www.hotkit.co.uk sell it for the best price £580 (inc postage and packaging). Has anyone tried them? If yes, what's their service like?

Thanks in advance

6. Dave

Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again,
    Dvdbrowser, I never got round to comparing the M71 against the M72's, but I found the M72's to be a good all round speaker which could certainly handle the bass, the M73's even more so. I was all ready to get the M72's with some nice aracam? speaker stands but the wife preferred the floorstanding M73's. I think the specs of the two (M72/M73) are the same, apart from the lower bass freq the floorstanding speakers can achieve . With regard to other speakers, I have demoed a few. I had a short list drawn up, which comprised of Kef Cresta 2/3, Tannoy MX2/3 or the new Mission M series. I never got to demo the Kef Cresta's but I did have a demo of the Tannoys but found them a bit overbearing (but to tell the truth the demo room had about enough space to swing a cat). But I did listen to the Yamaha Nsc200's? which weren't on my list and was really impressed by the sound they pumped out, but I think they would have been just too much for my small lounge. I must stress I'm no expert, I only got into all this HC gear 6 months ago and as a lot of people say the best way to pick some speakers is by getting a demo (if possible), All I know is I can't wait to chuck out my 12 year old Kenwood speakers.

7. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YJ,

I just rang hotkit, they seemed quite efficent over the phone. The black 3801 is in stock, but the gold one will be about 10 days. Delivery is £10 in the UK.

or you could price match them with someone large like Empire direct...

hth

Jim

[This message has been edited by Big Jim (edited 10-01-2001).]

8. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,

did you listen to any other speakers at the same time? if so, what were they, and what did you think comparitively?

I auditioned some tannoy Mx2/kef Q35.2/mission 773e's last night. I will post a minireview when I get round to it.

Jim

9. YJ

YJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Big Jim,

I think I order from Hotkit, as Empire Direct's web site doesn't seem to show whether they sell the AVR 3801. (They need a search facility).

I downloaded the 3801's manuel from Denon's US Website. Currently I'm going through it trying to understand how best to utilise it before I get it.

Has does anyone know who sells Acoustic Research TOSLINK cables in the UK? I've read at http://www.consumerreview.com/ of some great reviews. It's main selling point is that it is inexpensive and it produces good results. However if I buy it from the US via the internet the shipping costs seem too high.

Thanks in advance

10. Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far i've listened to KEF Q's. B&W 601's and today some Mission 771's.

To be perfectly honest I really like the look of the KEFS. The B&W's seemed to sound the best, then today I tried the missions. I hate choice. Now im just not sure. There really wasnt much in it between the B&W's and Missions, I kept swapping them and swapping them. I have to say its between the Missions and B&W's.

My only problem with the B&W's is the finish they are wrapped in Vinal, not veneer, something the missions have going for them. Plus I can get the missions for £150 a pair, the B&W's are £180. Also there is a bookshelf version for £99 that I could use for the surounds.

I was put off the Missions a few years ago I had some cheap ones with a Marantz CD + Denon PMA250....Trouble is I think my problem lay somewhere else. Thats why I discounted them...I have to say that they sounded really good. The price is a bonus.

If anyone has a 3801 I have just received it today...I am only playing it in Audio mode...I cant believe what I have been missing all these years.

Dave

11. Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW,

I got my 3801 from Sound and Vision, Bolton. £599 proper uk model, not grey.

They only have Gold in stock

Free next day delivery in the UK.
    01204 707079

I have never bought from them before, but as their service was so good thought they deserved a mention.

Dave

12. YJ

YJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,

How can you tell if a Denon AVR 3801 is a grey import or not? Do shops tell you if it is or not? Or is there some kind of certificate?

Thanks in advance.

13. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YJ

A good old fashioned way of telling is to check if the flex has a moulded 13A mains plug on the end. Anything else suggests it was converted from a 2 pin euro plug.

This may not be true in this case but I have used it on other components before.

Pathfinder

14. Dave

Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick one to say I finally got my Mission M73's (took 3 attempts to finally get them delivered). First impression very good totally opened up the front sound field, controlled with plenty of bass [​IMG] well built, a pity I've been having to work late most nights this week. But thank god it's the weekend. The only problem is now my ears and eyes have been diverted to my rear speakers, another upgrade?

15. YJ

YJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my Denon. The service from Hotkit was great. Within 48 hours of ordering off the web it came to my door.

I've played around, listerned and enjoyed every moment with its company. I believe I should replace my existing mission fronts with the new m72's as they have greater Wattage, more bass and because the rest of the family are starting to encourage me for another great purchase.

I would add that my existing speaker system are a mixture of KEF & Mission. (All 75 Wattage and with a sensitivity of 89). (Note: I do not have a sub).

Front : Mission (I think 760 - Bookself)
    Centre: Kef 80C
    Back : Kef 60S

When I buy the new m72's I intend to put them in the front, and put the existing missions in the Centre Back. Tell me what you guys think?

Thanks in advance

By the way I believe the Denon from hotkit is a european model its got a special plastic plug that converts two pin to UK three pin.