1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can I buy a TW-100 without defective pixels?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Marcus Wood, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would like to get a TW-100, however Nexnix tell me their dead pixel check on the TW-100 only covers stuck-on (i.e. bright) pixels, not dead (dim) ones. This is because of Epson's return policy, apparently.

Does anyone know a retailer that will guarantee TW-100s not to have any defective pixels?

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    You could always contact Liam at AV-Sales and see if they will let you check over the one (or ones) you intend to buy before you take it away.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TBH, on a reasonably high res PJ such as the TW100, 1 or 2 dead pixels aren't much of a problem.

Even a partially stuck pixel wouldn't be near as bad as on say an AE100 - lower res - bigger pixels.

I'd be surprised if you/anyone would notice a single partially dead pixel (just a sub pixel, RG or B) from normal seating distance, even half normal seating distance.

Most problem TW100s I've seen have had stuck green pixels - never noticed any completely dead/partially dead pixels.

:smoke:

4. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having spoken to both Kevin and Russell in Nexnix about their pixel policy a couple of weeks ago, I would be surprised if anyone is offering a better policy than they do, could be wrong now but they were very upfront about it.

Regarding stuck dead pixles on a TW100, I have not seen dead pixels, but did see a return Epson with some stuck green pixels, on a 8 foot screen from 4 feet away the stuck pixels were almost invisible to me, they had to be pointed out and when a movie is playing, even knowing where they are still difficult to make out from close to screen at 1* screen distance, you really have to look very hard to spot them.

To be honest, what was far more obvious to me was the vertical banding and panel noise and off these 2 the vertical banding was the most noticible from normal viewing distance.

If you do get a better pixel gtee from someone, get it in writing before parting with you hard earned cash.

Vex.

5. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all,
    I got my tw100 from nexnix' showroom a couple of weeks ago.
    I was aloud to see as many as they had in stock:D
    None i saw had any dead pixels at all:eek:
    I do now have one glowing green pixel,but you need a magnifying glass to spot it:laugh: :laugh:
    So basicly if you can spare the time and get down to nexnix,you cant go wrong-I was even aloud to have a look at some of the other goodys on display(the new hitachi plasma is superb,as good as series 5 pana:eek: )
    I did get the chance to see the ae300 against the epson and to be honest ,i cant see why people are making noises about this-it just doesnt have the clarity of the epson or the hs10
    If you can afford it:devil: go for the tw100,then hs10(noise aside)
    Do check out nexnix:smashin: :smashin: you'll be pushed for a more friendly service anywhere

6. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I bought a HS10 from Nexnix a few months ago (it, well, they had to go back), and I completely agree with the above comments about Nexnix. I'd be reluctant to buy a projector anywhere else, but I thought I should look into it.

I have to say, I don't think their demo room's that great though. They can only demo on R2 DVDs via component or Sky Digital via s-video. It would be useful to see Sky on RGB->component, and DVD/Windows on DVI. Plus the light control isn't great.

I was there a couple of weeks ago to check out the TW-100 and compared it with the HS10 and AE300. (Ebury, I completely agree with you about the AE300).

If it wasn't for the noise, I'd probably go for the HS10, I agree that the banding is more visible on the TW-100 and also I thought the screen door was slightly more visible. The colours aren't as good on the Sony, but that could probably be fixed.

The TW-100 I saw had a dead pixel (mauve) and a bright green one. The green one wasn't really noticeable, from viewing distance. The dead one wasn't visible at all from viewing distance, but maybe that was down to the demo material. Also, I'm going to be using it with Windows, and I think dead pixels might be more noticeable with that.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All sorted now :)

I'm reliably informed that they've now near perfect blackout viewing conditions as well as an all singing, all dancing HCPC complete with some nice hidef material (720p,1080i & 1080p).

Haven't seen it yet mind (soon, hopefully), but it should be pretty good for serious PJ appraisal now.

Agreed (at the thought of being flamed), wasn't at all impressed with the AE300 (apart from it's silence - but that actually concerns me). Found the smoothscreen just killed sharpness, as I predicted maybe 7/8 months ago now.

Fine PJ but entry level IMO - TW100/LPX500/HS10 clearly in a different league :)

8. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Kramer,
    When i visited a couple of weeks ago,they had just started to put up blackout blinds.To me it looked like they were in the middle of decorating(plasterboards not painted etc...)There was not a HTC anywhere in the demo room-but thats not to say they didnt have one!!!
    Ross,who i was dealing with did say there had been demos over the weekend and everthing was all over the place:D
    He said they were thinking about moving to another premises nearby for better viewing of the various products they are selling:eek:
    I was offered the chance to see any thing they had on display:smashin:
    and they were using the new 2900 denon as the multiregion player for viewing
    The ae300 was to me, awful for the money:eek: ,i thought the z1 and infocus x1(?)were much better value:eek:
    There were also 5 plasmas on display(the 46" model was superb)
    Do your self a favour and check em' out,top service and no bull'
    P.S.....i dont work for them:rotfl:

9. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are happy to buy second hand, there is a lovely LPX500 for sale in the for sakle forum, its prettier than the TW100, but hte guts and lens are the same. It retails for more than TW100 and I got ot see it in action a few weeks ago, and it was pixel defect free.

While it pains me to point it out, as I may bid on it if its still around in a couple of weeks, its worth a look and a chat with Messiah at the very least.

Vex.

10. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Couldn't find the used Marantz, but I think I prefer the Epson styling, anyway.

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's probably because it's a Yamaha :p

Messiah is selling it & it's just been price reduced - full UK warranty too.

:)

12. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Doh!!

Anyway, I do prefer the Epson styling, so I'm going to try getting one of those.