Where can i buy a new Gamecube from?

j04nse

Im looking to buy a new gamecube with digital av out and the following games to start me off- super smash bros meelee zelda games and res evil 4. Can i still buy a new console? im stuck behind a firewall at work so cant check all the online sites?

j04nse

ive read the thread a few pages down, wonder if i could get a new bundle in my local toys r us in derby?

shay0

Distinguished Member
The question would be if they have the digital AV out, is it standard? If not, try the Trading Forums, someone should be able to help.

j04nse

I should of been clearer, i have a panny tx32lxd52 and i presume the best way of connecting a gc to this would be digital out-> component is this correct? :thumbsup:

shay0

Distinguished Member
TBH I've always run my Cube on a bog standard TV with the component cable that came with it and not had any complaints. I suppose it depends exactly what quality picture you want.

azzo

Sorry to be pedantic, but the cable that comes with the cube is a composite cable, not component.
And yes, the best picture is with component, although SCART RGB is pretty good on the cube. Make sure you buy the offical SCART cable. The component cables are very hard to source BTW, they were not officially launched in the UK.
azzo

shay0

Distinguished Member
azzo said:
Sorry to be pedantic, but the cable that comes with the cube is a composite cable, not component. {SNIP}
I stand corrected ;)

bbdivo

Play-asia have GC component cables in stock for about £32. They are difficult to get a hold off, before I got mine from Lik-sang a couple of weeks ago, they were going for £60+ on ebay, and thats if you could find them!

ceepee

Fraid not. I tried last week and they had none at any price!

j04nse said:
ive read the thread a few pages down, wonder if i could get a new bundle in my local toys r us in derby?

azzo

Are you sure you still want one. The component cable will probably be more expensive than the cube!
azzo

j98

After playing trouble-free for about 3 years with the original out-of-the-box composite cable I recently got the official RGB scart for about £10. It brightens the colours and really clears up the picture a lot but makes the jaggies far more obvious. I can't comment on the component cable but it's not going to affect the dreaded jaggies is it?

The problem with the RGB cable is that there are no phono cables. If you want to use a separate amp you need to take the sound from your tv's headphone socket. I haven't bothered trying it yet though, I just make do with the crappy tv speakers.

j04nse

Ok cheers, i understand about the cables now and how expensive they are, i will probabaly just use the one supplied to start with and go from there.

But the big question still exists, can i buy a new console anywhere online? :thumbsup:

shay0

Distinguished Member
Well if you are, then that makes 2 of us. I seem to remember that being mentioned on here a long while ago.

andytabor

Originally posted by j04nse:

Did i read somewhere the pearly white ones dont have digital out, or am i talking crap

yes they don't have one, i bought a pearl white one recently

j04nse

andytabor said:
Originally posted by j04nse:

yes they don't have one, i bought a pearl white one recently

Do you think it will look ok on my panny tx32lxd52 without a digital output using the supplied video lead.

Im unsure what to do :confused:

Epicurus

I bought a platinum zelda windwaker cube pack from TRU for £30 last week and it has the digital av out.

Also the component cable DOES improve picture quality and reduce jaggies because it ups the resolution to 480 progressive scan so it's a big improvement. Head to a site like IGN and look at the screenshots of the games they review on the Cube, they look much sharper because they are using the digital connection.

bbdivo

Epicurus said:
I bought a platinum zelda windwaker cube pack from TRU for £30 last week and it has the digital av out.

Also the component cable DOES improve picture quality and reduce jaggies because it ups the resolution to 480 progressive scan so it's a big improvement. Head to a site like IGN and look at the screenshots of the games they review on the Cube, they look much sharper because they are using the digital connection.

I thought he progressive scan was only possible with an NTSC cube, and then again only certain games? Also there are no true 'digital' connections available for the cube, component is actually an analogue connection method.

andytabor

Originally posted by jo4nse:

Do you think it will look ok on my panny tx32lxd52 without a digital output using the supplied video lead.

i would try and get a scart cable for it at least, the lead its comes with is pretty bog standard and rubbish, it looks ok-ish on a CRT, looks pretty bad on an LCD

gaia

Standard Member
NO new euro Gamecube has the conection for component, it was removed to cut prodution costs as Nintendo said no one was using it. They did also add that if someone bought one and they needed the conection they should contact Nintendo.
No idea what they would do though.
If you are using it on a big screen you realy need component, if you use freeloader and US games your euro Cube will do proscan. Moving from RGB to Component makes a big differece but I would say adding pro scan is a smaller improvment.

Epicurus

NO new euro Gamecube has the conection for component, it was removed to cut prodution costs as Nintendo said no one was using it. They did also add that if someone bought one and they needed the conection they should contact Nintendo.
No idea what they would do though.
If you are using it on a big screen you realy need component, if you use freeloader and US games your euro Cube will do proscan. Moving from RGB to Component makes a big differece but I would say adding pro scan is a smaller improvment.

Yeah the Cube looks pretty dreadful on an LCD with anything other than a component. Playable but dreadful.

Te Bheag

If it helps, second hand GC's at Gamezone for about £40 with 4 secondhand games. Wolverhampton had about 8 in this morning, from what I could see some certainly were early models with digital out.

Anyone wants one, I can nip in and get one (or maybe I should ebay them, for a quick £20 profit...)

Zebadee69

I have to disagree with Epicurus
Yeah the Cube looks pretty dreadful on an LCD with anything other than a component. Playable but dreadful.

I'm using an official RGB lead connected to a LCD TV. I was quite surprised with the quality from the standard cable and using the RGB lead improved things slighty, removed the colour buzz and smoothed out the picture. I think it's a very good picture and comparable to my XBox connected via component. I must state though, I'm watching on a 28" LCD screen, you may notice a difference on larger screens, I've not tested the cube on my 43" plasma but the XBox looked great.

So I would say it really depends on the size of your screen, you don't have to go component.

As for your original question, Game are selling a bundle inc Lego Starwars II, Mario Kart and Disneys Cars, memory card and standard accessories for £79.99, I thought that a pretty good deal.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts