Where can I buy a large LCD timer?

loz_the_guru

I work as a teacher and would like a large LCD countdown timer to use in my classroom as a visual reminder for how much time kids have got left.

I've had a look on ebay but can't see anything other than kitchen timers. Anyone know where I can get something bigger?

tonyrees687

Why not get them to make one. There must be one in the teacher supply books somewhere in ITC or something and it would be great for them to make or even you . A nice big red led like NASA or something, just a thought

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Or if you have a PC in the classroom, perhaps you can find an application to display on the monitor- cheap option!

loz_the_guru

Thanks, it is indeed an LED timer i'm after.

I often use powerpoint to have tasks on the board anyway, so would like something external in order to keep these up. I've experimented with powerpoint/web timers before, but for quick tasks (e.g. 5 questions in 5 minutes) they're no good.

As for making one, I wouldn't know where to begin i'm afraid! This is the best example i've seen, and if it came as a kit I reckon my soldering skills would be up to it, but it's a lot more than i'd hoped to pay:

http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3073-giant-led-clock-12-24-hour.htm

Last edited:

loz_the_guru

The problem with the hour glass idea is the kids find it difficult to gauge a sense of relativity, which I found somewhat surprising but there you go.

Crocodile: size wise thats okay but again it's very pricey!

IronGiant

I did think they might not be ideal for pacing themselves through 5 questions in 5 minutes.

loz_the_guru

That's far too good for the kids!

The outdoor one looks perfect but alas I cant see a buying option anywhere.

The problem with PC based widgets is powerpoint needs to be running, meaning I cant layer them over the top :(

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
The problem with PC based widgets is powerpoint needs to be running, meaning I cant layer them over the top :(
What's Powerpoint running on? Could that be configured as dual screen & have Powerpoint on the whiteboard & the timer running on a second screen?

loz_the_guru

I've experimented with this before, but I use a wireless presenter which complicates the issue even further (alas). The external clock really is the best option, I thought it'd be pretty easy to find one. obviously not so...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom