Where Best for R1 DVDs

nheather

Distinguished Member
Normally I stick to R2 releases. However, there is a DVD I want that was not released in the R2 area so I must buy a R1 (or maybe an R3).

As I don't normally buy R1 stuff I'm not familiar with who offers the best prices. I've tried my usual retailers (Play and Amazon) but prices there seem quite high.

Can anyone recommend an alternative retailer.

I've also looked at PlayAsia - they have an R3 (Hong Kong Version) at an acceptable price but I'm a little hesitent about buying a Hong Kong version - is it covered in Chinese text, is it dubbed in Chinese etc.

The movie is Flyboys - I know it's not supposed to be very good but I'm an 'Aviation Nut' so buy most films with aircraft in them (even Pearl Harbour :eek: ).

Cheers,

Nigel

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Just check first - you do have a multi-region player, right?

There is a sticky at the top of the forum listing in which members' recommendations are listed.

It all depends, though, on whether you want speed or service or cheapness.

Hong Kong releases are usually in English, with OPTIONAL subtitles in various languages.

The 2-discer is in stock at Axelmusic
http://www.axelmusic.com/productDetails/027616065346

and available at CDWOW
http://www13.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2.php?product_code=1858719

for example

nheather

Distinguished Member
Yeah,

It's a Denon 1920 - just put the loaded the Multi-Region firmware today and tested it with the one R1 disk I have (bought many many years ago when my first DVD player was multi-region).

The prices at those are similar to Play and Amazon.

I try not to pay over £10 or so for DVDs.

At PlayAsia the R3 version is £8.71 which is great.

But I would like to be sure that the film and artwork is in English with the only Chinese option being the subtitles - is this how Hong Kong versions are normally produced?

Cheers,

Nigel

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Can't speak for this title specifically, but I have one or two DeltaMac releases.

Spoken language = English
Optional Subtitles = Chinese and English
Package Artwork - mostly English but with both Chinese and English synopsis on the back

Paulie_D

Normally I stick to R2 releases. However, there is a DVD I want that was not released in the R2 area so I must buy a R1 (or maybe an R3).

As I don't normally buy R1 stuff I'm not familiar with who offers the best prices. I've tried my usual retailers (Play and Amazon) but prices there seem quite high.

Can anyone recommend an alternative retailer.

There isn't a single retailer that consistently offers the lowest prices...you have to have a number of places to look.

A nifty site is DVDPriceCheck which searches multiple sites &/or region codes.

It doesn't get all the retailers but it's a useful jumping off point. Also try DVD USA.com

For R2 also try BillyBargain

Amazon.com often have cheaper R1 version than Amazon.co.uk...especially through their Marketplace Seller option.

Also try CD-WOW.us.

Finally, if you need to know which region has the best version then try DVD Compare.

Whew!...happy hunting.

Oh...one last point...Flyboys is a relatively new release so, if you can wait, give it some time and the price will drop.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom