Where are you going on holiday in 2011?

StevePSIV

Just looking for some holiday destination ideas really.

Got a budget of about £800 for 2 weeks all inclusive in May, somewhere warm and preferably near a beach! Been a while since I've seen the sunshine :(

Looked at Djerba (Tunisia) and Morroco but not sure if these destinations are sensible given the recent/current protests.

So... where are you guys heading this year? Or, where have you been in the past that you would highly recommend?

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
This year we're doing New York-Calgary-Vancouver in a 3 week trip, likely in November. Possibly taking my Dad to Barcelona in the summer too.

We love travelling and over the past 3 years we've done;

• Kenya
  • The Seychelles
  • Mauritius (possibly not such a popular destination right now)
  • Las Vegas
  • Winnipeg
  • Miami
  • The Bahamas
  • Cologne
  • London
  • Chicago
  • Paris

Of that list we will be returning to Paris, Vegas and Kenya at some point. The others were good too but the 3 listed are definitely on the return list. When we're a bit better off financially I intend to make Vegas a regular trip, every other year maybe.

Hope to go to Italy sometime too, I've been to Venice, Verona and Milan but the wife hasn't. I'm told it's a bit pricey so 2 weeks may be beyond your £800 budget.

Jenn

Novice Member
Just looking for some holiday destination ideas really.

Got a budget of about £800 for 2 weeks all inclusive in May, somewhere warm and preferably near a beach! Been a while since I've seen the sunshine :(

Looked at Djerba (Tunisia) and Morroco but not sure if these destinations are sensible given the recent/current protests.

So... where are you guys heading this year? Or, where have you been in the past that you would highly recommend?
If you want the look and feel of Tunisia but with a European mentality, try Sardinia.
Beautiful beaches. Friendly people. But it can be on the expensive side because it's quite popular so look around for deals.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
Boston Ma again in for a week in April. Hear some more from them how they kicked our assess in 1776. ;)

Whitby Goth weekend in Oct/Nov.

That's all we have booked so far.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Just come back from a week in Budapest- absolutely superb city and highly recommended. My wife has been talking about some sort of all inclusive beach fest later in the year. I hate "do nothing" holidays so I'll probably try and send her with friends if I can but we might be able to find a compromise destination like Croatia or similar.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Hoping to take the clan for a four week drive along the north coast of the med in the summer - maybe Rome to Barcelona or something along those lines. Need to squeeze it in before #3 comes along and puts complex holidays on the back-burner for a bit.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
I'm driving to Switzerland :) so that probably doesn't help!

Have fun!
that was part of our potential holiday plan. We've a friend who lives there s owe were going to drive to his for a weekend, and then come home via a 5-6 day stop off in paris. It's the only plan we have so far but we try to do a week away for culture around march/april and a week in october/november for lazy sun

Hooblue

Off to Kenya at the end of July actually. One of the Mrs' friends is getting married there so we're going to make the most of it while we're there as we'll be there for our anniversary too.

Last year we went to Malaysia for just over two weeks. Stayed in KL for 4 days then went to Borneo for 11. Awesome place and saw loads of wildlife too.

Year before went to Japan for a week which was great, if a little strange!

Dancook

Distinguished Member
that was part of our potential holiday plan. We've a friend who lives there s owe were going to drive to his for a weekend, and then come home via a 5-6 day stop off in paris. It's the only plan we have so far but we try to do a week away for culture around march/april and a week in october/november for lazy sun
A shame we'll miss the snow, except that I don't want to be driving in the snow! This is the chalet.

Attachments

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
A shame we'll miss the snow, except that I don't want to be driving in the snow! This is the chalet.
looks nice, we will probably be on the floor in my mates house, so sharing his spare room with a motorbike or half a car engine :suicide:

We aren't skiersso missing the snow is no biggy for us, i'd rather drive when it's clear and either way we will still get to see my mate fora couple of days.

qwerty321

You could take a look at Lastminute.com, they seem to have some pretty good deals. I saw one deal which was just under £300 per adult for 7 nights in Turkey, 4* hotel as well. Price was for flights and hotel.

7ofnine

Where are we going? With a 6 month old baby our options are limited, so we're off to Center Parcs.

Miyazaki

Novice Member
Probably camping on the IOW again as we have just bought a kitchen :D

TBH the island is as good as anywhere when the weather is good. Last year when we went there it was 30C+ and was a great few days. :D

Miyazaki

Novice Member
we are doing this in June, but it's for the festival so it's not really a lets see the island trip
The wife and I have two dogs, so we do a lot of walking when we are over there. The coastal path is absolutely brilliant, i'd recommend it if you have the time. :thumbsup:

Coffin

Distinguished Member
A few mates and I are flying direct to Miami in late April, driving to Las Vegas for a wedding over the course of 10 days (whilst stopping along the way), then flying back from Los Angeles to London

The intention is to take advantage of those 4 public holidays we get in quick succession :thumbsup:

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
We have rented a cottage at Lulworth Cove in Dorset for a week at the end of June.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
A few mates and I are flying direct to Miami in late April, driving to Las Vegas for a wedding over the course of 10 days (whilst stopping along the way), then flying back from Los Angeles to London

The intention is to take advantage of those 4 public holidays we get in quick succession :thumbsup:
I'm planning on taking advantage of those holidays too :)

We're looking at flying to Las Vegas, driving through Yosemite to San Francisco and then down the coast to LA and then fly home stopping in New York for a couple of nights. Just planning the logistics atm :smashin:

We were going to do Florida as well but can't take that much time off so going to do that in September once the schools go back :)

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Off to Kenya at the end of July actually. One of the Mrs' friends is getting married there so we're going to make the most of it while we're there as we'll be there for our anniversary too.
Awesome :) I went to Kenya a few years ago and did a Safari there - absolutely amazing experience I would never forget

DrWise

Banned
This Year:-

Amsterdam
Spain - Lloret da mar
Canada - Toronto and Vancouver
India - 50/50
New York

those safari pictures look good :)

nheather

Distinguished Member
Wife wife wants to see her sister is Perth (Australia, not Scotland) in the summer. We had planned to go last Christmas but college wouldn't let my son have any extra time off.

Depending on how successful our bid at work is I could find myself spending most of the latter half of the year in the US so I might not be able to get out to Oz with them (certainly not the full 3 weeks).

We have also decided to go away for a week at Christmas - haven't decided where yet, somewhere warm, perhaps the Carribean.

Cheers,

Nigel

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
those safari pictures look good :)
We couldn't believe just how close we came to the animals. Remember the 3 cheetahs that featured in Big Cat Diaries? One of them sneaked around our jeep while stalking something, (can't remember what it was). I literally could have reached down and touched him! He'd have killed me though so I didn't bother.

Our photos from the Mara are amazing, you can never go to a zoo again!

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
We couldn't believe just how close we came to the animals. Remember the 3 cheetahs that featured in Big Cat Diaries? One of them sneaked around our jeep while stalking something, (can't remember what it was). I literally could have reached down and touched him! He'd have killed me though so I didn't bother.

Our photos from the Mara are amazing, you can never go to a zoo again!
I know, it is astonishing how many animals and how many great pictures you can take. I think I have about 1500 pictures and most of them look awesome - it is an amazing place...kind of puts everything in perspective :)

We saw a family of Cheetahs - quite far away though (thank god I had a good optical zoom)...last picture btw cos I'll end up filling up this thread so linked a few more :laugh:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4686/p1000577n.jpg
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6589/p1000419h.jpg
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5412/p1000826z.jpg
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9704/p1000527c.jpg

Fowl

Novice Member
Going to Tigne, France in a week for some Skiing

Also planning to visit my Brother in Malaysia at some point. Maybe April in those Public Holidays

jenam93

Got a Gite booked for a week in the Vendee region in France for early July. Actually we have 3 booked - 1 for Me with the Mrs & Kids; 1 for my brother with his Mrs & kid and 1 for my parents.