Where are we all at currently?

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by richardb70, Jul 13, 2018.

1. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,000
    This is STILL by far the biggest issue holding back EV adoption, cars like the Hyundai Kona EV and Kia Nero EV is getting there for something 'affordable' but with decent range. However in the real world am not sure many people are prepared to spend £30K+ on a smallish Hyundai/Kia regardless of running costs.

The problem is once you get into EV driving its abit like a itch you just have to scratch, for me its been a much much stronger lure than any of my previous petrol cars. Which means justifying paying over the odds for an EV is far easier to justify, and once you do justify it than that when things get crazy.

Our previous Lexus IS saloon was by far the most expensive car we had bought as a family, and it was bought as a 'treat', crazy to think we spend double the cost on an electric SUV, and now thinking of doing the same but on a small saloon :eek:.

But costs will come down, as with all things tech, just not as fast as phones/TVs. Overall entry level EV prices have held firm at £30Kish, but your now getting much much more range/toys for your money, meanwhile a base spec Ford Focus is now £20K before options, its not long before the two price point cross, and thats when EV adoption will really take off.

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,753
    The Kona and Nero are just way too small, and to me just really don't do it.

3. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,622
    Smaller more efficient cars are the way forward though, your desire for massive 3 litre engines in a big vehicle are the way of the dinosaur, and that's coming from me with my monster:
    Weight 2189kg
    Length 4810mm
    Width 1985mm
    Height 1760mm
    Wheelbase 2890mm

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,753
    3 Litres is the minimum :) 5 Litre V12 is nice :) But naturally an irrelevant measure with an EV.

Seriously though, space will always be required by people. Tesla Model X has the. Space, Jaguar iPace is not bad but to me lower end. I don’t like rubbing shoulder :)

5. stiv674

stiv674

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Decent EV's have been around for a while now so why IS it taking so long for new ones to be released? :thumbsdow

Is it just the amount of money manufacturers have invested in ICE cars?

6. the whistler

the whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I've owned a Vauxhall Ampera for four years now. Sadly they don't make them any more but if they did I would have no hesitation in buying another one. The car is quite different to other hybrids and is described as an extended range electric vehicle. It will cover up to 50 miles on a single charge, although trends to be more like 30 in winter. When the battery runs out a petrol generator kicks in to power the electric motor. Quite simply the best car I have ever owned!

7. stiv674

stiv674

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
  8. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,983
  9. stiv674

stiv674

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Looks interesting, a quick Google suggests it might be available early next year, the Peugeot not until the end of 2019 early 2020 :thumbsdow

10. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,341
    Just as an update to my original post. I got my Leaf Acenta 30 from JustEVs which was an interesting sales journey. They bring the car to your house on a trailer, you take it for a spin and then get the keys if you like it. After sales support was decent enough too but haggling didn't seem an option :).

As for the car itself, it's used but you really can't tell as it's been very well looked after. Range guesstimator reckons 110 miles or so on a full charge, I do motorways daily so that's a factor. It's a nice drive and I enjoy using the car every day. It's speedy when I need it to be (turn off the Eco mode), obviously quiet and has lots of bells and whistles (e.g. warming the car up via the app while I have breakfast).

JustEVs sorted me out with the grant for a home charger, which was done by ChargeMaster. The engineer was great and made some suggestions on positioning and cable routing that were better than mine.

I charge pretty much exclusively at work so running costs so far have been close to zero. The only downer is that my Leaf has the lower capacity onboard charger (3kW) so it takes longer, but in practice it's not really an issue.

In summary: I don't think I could ever go back to ICE cars. I'm an EV convert :).