Where are the DTS 24/96 DVD's???

Kane D Williams

Established Member
Reaction score
DTS 24/96 has been available for at least 3 years now, yet no-one has released any DVD movie titles in the format! I'm sure this will have been talked about before, but can anyone shed any light on why this has not happened?

The system is backwards compatible with 'standard' DTS so why not encode the discs this way? To be honest, there would not be a large sound fidelity improvement over 'standars' DTS, as many films' soundtracks are produced using 16bit equipment anyway, but there are also may studios that do record and mix at 24bit 48kHz and some at 96kHz.

DTS 96/24 is not designed to be used on Movie material as it takes up too much space, it was designed to be used on music DVDs as a backwards compatible alternative to DVDA and as far as I am aware there are just a couple of titles available. These are Queen discs.

Then pray tell how the italians managed to use it on Tomb Raider if it takes up too much space and can you also explain why it takes up too much space because it was my belief that it didnt take up any more space than normal fullbitrate DTS.

DTS 96/24 was designed for music DVDs as an alternative to DVD audio. It was not designed for movies. As to how it ended up on an obscure edition of Tomb raider I cant tell you. Full bit rate DTS is in its self still very rare.

any details / link to tomb raider?

I spoke with the people at DTS about 2+ years ago and they said they hoped it would be used for movies! To me, it makes more sense for DVD movies (and cinema releases) than music, as DVD-A and SACD already have this covered.

I believe the DTS 96/24 italian Tomb Raider was dubbed and italian language so not really worthwhile.

they dubbed the effects ??? want the sound not the direlog

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom