1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are the decent movies?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by BadAss, Aug 15, 2004.

1. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Dear, oh drear, oh dear. What is happening in HollyWood?

Is it me or is there a shear lack of talent in HollyWood these days?

It's like throwing money away is the way to go.

I think the movie makers are so bored they are making any old tripe because Ive just watched a clip for Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and have to say things are looking bleak.

With other films like AvP, Val Helsing and The Hulk which I still haven't watched, when are they gona make a few decent adult movies to balance the scales?

How about Heat 2? BHD 2 or something in a similar vain we can take seriously?

Lets hope The Bourne Supremacy is half decent!

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Saw it yesterday. As good as the first film, similar story (obviously) with some great camera angles, particularly in the amazing car chase through Moscow!

However the director made too much use of odd, jerky closeups, each one slightly out of focus each time. I couldn't see the point (or the scene) too well and my wife started to get a bit dizzy.

Some excellant surround moments and bass work which bodes well for DVD release.

7 out of 10. :smashin:

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where are the decent movies? Well, they're out there, but you've just got to look. I complain about Hollywood films a lot, because most of them are marketed to bring in the maximum return on investment. That means they are generally by-the-numbers works that aren't important films in many respects. They don't push any boundaries, they don't have anything to say, and they generally don't showcase exceptional acting. That is, they mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. (ie, the history of filmmaking) Many people are still entertained by these films, as they are still meant to be entertainment, and admittedly I enjoy some of them.

But if you want thought-provoking films that take a few chances, then Hollywood is the last place to look. ;) Check out the film-festival circuit, low budget films, foreign flicks, arthouse cinemas, and anywhere else outside the mainstream. Now that Michael Moore has made documentary filmmaking profitable, there's a lot more directors cutting their teeth with some very interesting docs.

And failing that... just check out Troma's website. :p

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I think Hollywood are guilty of only catering to the lowest common denominator too much and no longer wish to take risks :thumbsdow
    I'm all for having CGI blockbusters and no brainers but it would be nice to have a thought provoking film that has good characters, dialogue and a memorable story from time to time.
    I find myself buying a lot of asian dvd's these days as they seem to offer more interesting and original films than the typical dirge coming from across the water. I now notice that Hollywood is starting to rape their back catalogue for new ideas to make their own versions of them. I hope this doesn't have an effect on enjoyment of asian cinema and ends up diluting it some how. :mad:
    While hoards of people go to watch these kinds of movies then I'll assume Hollywood will continue to service that demand. I'll continue to look elsewhere for my movie stimulus.

5. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    There are some great films coming up,including : man on fire(on r1 dvd already) and the awesome new tom cruise film,Collateral.This directed by micheal mann is IMHO nearly as good as heat!!!One of the best films to come out of the states for a while,with great performances by cruise and jamie foxx

The bourne supremacy is as good if not better than the first film, and i,robot is one of the best sci-fi films for a long time.

There have also been some other very good films in the last two years,so i dont think it is as bad as people are saying!!

:hiya:

6. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    When is Collateral released? Sounds just my thing.

The only other Movie that I've got hopes for is Chonicles of Riddick, looks stunning.

7. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    How can you possible make that statement after your first post?
    We saw a trailer for this at the weekend and both me and the wife just looked at each other and thought "Oh dear!".
    To make matters worse, Vin Diesel is the 'star'.
    Definitely one to avoid...

8. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh looking forward to seeing Chronicles of Riddick everyone i spoken to so far says its great, so i am planning on seeing it soon after Bourne Supremacy

9. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Well trailors tell me an awefull lot. Chronicles of Riddick does look stunning like I said, and you can tell by the speed of the shots, the number of cuts and the average tone of acting what your gona get in the finished article. Chonnicles of Riddick seems to get the thumbs up in all these departments. Vin Diesel is Vin Diesel, love or hate him for it.

I like any movie if it made well enough. But films like Spider-Man 2 are just CGI eye candy that dont look real and no substance to the acting or storyline.

Chonicles of Riddick may be more of the same but who ever did those effect shots knows how to make it look damn fine.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

I'm sorry, but Vin Diesel is NOT a good actor. He's just another bulky, Hollywood action hero, and still just as vacuous, brainless and Homer Simpson-like as any of the other 80's action guys!

"Collateral" should be out in the UK towards the end of September, after being released the week before in the USA. And, as others have said, it is going to be an awesome Michael Mann film! (To be honest, is there ever a bad Mann film?!)

And ditto, with regards to where to look for quality movies. If you want quality, check out foreign-language works! There are hundreds of great movies: horrors, thrillers, comedies, dramas, romances, musicals, gorefests, action films. You name it, and I can probably name a decent world cinema title, to fill it!

Check out works by directors like:
    - Tom Tykwer (German)
    - Akira Kurosawa (Japanese)
    - Steven Soderburgh (US indie)
    - Luc Besson (French)
    - Takeshi Miike (Japanese)
    - Hideo Nakata (Japanese)
    - Ingmar Bergman (Swedish)

Pooch

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Collateral is great. I also liked Spiderman 2.

Will maybe see i, Robot tonight, The Village on Friday and Bourne Supremacy next week ...

12. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    The butterfly effect is a great new film.

13. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just like to say that I though I Robot was absolutely terrible: wooden acting, cliched, full of computer game style cgi and made for the lowest common denomenator. A pile of trash. It never expanded on any intellectual tread for a second. A big pile of :nono:

14. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Went to watch Bourne Supremacy last night and thought it was pretty forgetable. The story was pretty bland, Matts acting was pretty none excistant, he didn't ay alot, and the action/car chases we've all seen in other movies many times before.

15. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Wewere talking about this today at work, one guy complained he didn't like it because it was a bit deep :confused: :laugh:

16. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmmm. I just thought that it was poor. The start was ok (ish), but then rampant product placement and naff cgi, then kiddie style plot and wooden acting killed it off :nono:

Saw it on a pirate dvd. Would probably have been okish if you were about 15. :rolleyes:

17. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats funny, i went to see I Robot and thought it was fantastic, most enjoyable film i've seen in ages! And i also thought that the special effects were superb, but then again i went to see it the cinema!! :smoke:

18. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I second that! :thumbsup:

19. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    3 films in 3 days:

i, robot - nice Sci-Fi/action flick. Never read the books but it makes good entertainment and the CGI were pretty good.

The Village - not as scary as the trailer makes you believe and the ending was a kind of predictable. Not bad though.

Bourne Supremacy - liked it, too. Worthy sequel to the Bourne Identity, good action, good acting but some shaky camera work.

20. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think they stopped making decent films a couple of years ago as they dont make as much money :)

21. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,541
    It's just like when you go looking for good music.....you have to look beneath the first layer of crud!!

It's the top 40 for music, and most Hollywood blockbusters for movies......

22. Mr Rob T

Mr Rob T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Watched Man On Fire a couple of weeks ago (UCG recomended screening), this is an excellent film (a little predictable in places) I thought my wife would hate it, but she said it was one of the best films she had seen in a long time!

23. Mr Rob T

Mr Rob T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I robot.... good film (although I think will date quickly)

The Village... Sorry but I thought it was pretty poor...

Cat Woman... well all I can say is I would rather sit through it again than the Village

24. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I though I, Robot was just ok, nothing special. Like Gorshin, the product placement drove me nuts, I can't recall how many times we were shown his boots, his cd player or a certain make of car but it was far to many... dodgy acting, blury cgi and the odd unbelievable stunt just didn't help maters. :rolleyes:

The Bourne Supremacy was good, not quite up to the standards of the first film but definately worth seeing... The quality of the first two films has me looking forward to them adapting the last book to round off the trilogy. :smashin:

Collateral is the one I'm really looking forward to aswell, early clips I've seen shows that this could possibly be even better than The Insider (Mann's best film to date IMO). It's good to see Cruise doing some decent films recently too (The Last Samurai etc.)

Being a big Tom Hanks fan, I'm also looking forward to The Terminal which looks like it'll be an enjoyable light hearted affair... I'm also watching closely what they'll be doing with the War of the Worlds remake, yes I know big budget cgi etc... but if Spielberg and Cruise can keep the quality this could be amazing.

Regards,
    Iain.