Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Where are Amstrad Sky+ Boxes?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by S2KI, May 24, 2004.

1. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having just had an extremely irritating conversation with Sky, who will not install Sky+ into a flat with a communal dish.

Even though sky+ works fine (having checked using a friends v1 Pace), by running a seperate feed from the bedroom socket to the lounge. All the functions work!! I would of thought that it is the easiest install ever. As I have already run the cable. But.....

I now have to buy a box independently. However there are none on E-bay presently.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

2. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    S2KI - buy one contact free and fit it yourself if everything's there.

www.skytvrepairs.com do 'em unsubsidised for £199.99 Sure others do too.

Hope this helps

Arthur D.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The problem is that the communal system is owned by a third party, SKY can not interfere or add equipment to this system just in case they damage it.
    Even if they did there is then the issue of warranty work, SKY can not take responsibility for reception issues if they or their agents did not supply/install the dish and cables etc.
    The job is easy as you say it's just that there are more issues below the surface.

As Arthur D says just get yourself a non-contract SKY+, while high street retailers will be tied to providing installation or making the arrangment with SKY to enable a sale an independent installer (authorised or not) should be able to sell you one for the £199 price tag.

Quick google turns up these guys.
    No idea if they are any good, just passing on the link.

4. Lawe

Lawe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the system works from the exisiting install, I assume that you would only be to watch/record one channel at a time?

5. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Starburst - their system is not contract free, it's subject to the usual 12 month contract.

Art.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Are you sure?
    Just went deeper into the checkout procedure and there was no indication that they were requesting details for setting up a SKY account or the need to arrange installation.
    Also in the FAQ they have the package prices wrong and with no offical SKY logo they are obviously not an authorised dealer/supplier.

Worth pointing out that you can buy the SKY+ without the service and minimum contract but you can not subscribe to the SKY+ service without being tied into the contract.

Either way SKY+ can be bought without the need to go through SKY or it's agents it's just a matter of looking online or keeping an eye on the auction sites.

7. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Starburst - absoultely sure - I rang them. They won't sell at that price without a contract.

Not true - you can - I did it. No new contract - no minimum period.

8. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Actually you can watch and record different channels, or just record 2 at the same time.

It is the same as having 2 sources from the LNB. I presume that the signals sent to the different rooms, from the communal dish are independent of each other. Hence two sources into the back of the Sky+ box.

9. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, but unfortunately thay don't have the amstrad

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

I applaud your efforts to clarify the situation, a bit over the top if you ask me and the cynic inside of me wonders why anyone would go to the trouble, but then again you might just be a nice guy:)

As for the contract you can buy a new SKY+ to replace an existing SKY+ (which has already been used for the minimum term) or to use just as a "normal" digibox so in that regards you are correct.
    However a first time subscriber to SKY or SKY+ is tied to a 12 month contract regradless of where the box came from.

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

According to Mr Sugar himself SKY is getting all the stock and that model will not be sold retail. However that doesn't mean a authorised dealer would not be willing to let one go in the right circumstances.

12. Lawe

Lawe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that!

I was wondering how one input could work Sky + but if they have several signals running around the place then that would explain it!

13. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Starburst - clarifying the situation because you were and still are wrong!

Let's agree to disagree. :thumbsup:

Art.

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Lets not, that doesn't help any other reader who is looking for the correct answer. If I am wrong then I want to know exactly the reasoning that negates my opinion, I am here to learn just like everyone else.

I do not believe that you bought your first SKY+ and then subscribed to the SKY+ service without a min term contract when the T&C's state a minimum 12 month term. There are of course instances when a contract can be finished early but that doesn't seem to be what you are claiming.
    You might be twisting the words or being vague by ommiting certain facts but if you are not then I am interested in how you got SKY+ and then had it activated all without at least a passing nod to the T&C's.

Can you clarify further (for my benefit and others) exactly what you consider to be the "contract" SKY+ requires for purchasing and useage?

You push a certain website with the "no contract" claim while labelling others as requiring a contract and also state that you have bought SKY+ and weren't tied to any T&C's that accompany the SKY+ service.

So as someone who has SKY+ and I assume uses SKY+ as a recording device how did your circumstance interact with the purchase of your first SKY+ and any subsequent SKY+ replacements?
    Did you buy a replacement SKY+ after you had already met the minimum 12 month term for the original box?
    Did you buy SKY+ but didn't subscribe to the SKY+ service?

Probably going way off topic but if I am passing on incorrect information I do like to be corrected and have the situation explained so I can pass that correct information on with confidence:)

15. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Starburst - we are way off topic here I know, sorry to everyone else!

Here goes -

I had Sky digital installed by Sky the week they began the free equipment offer, several years ago, when they were pushing subscribers from analogue to digital. That was subject to a 12 month subscription contract as the system was subsidised.

Last year, I bought my Sky+ system from an independent dealer and had it fitted by them at a cost of £250. Not by the company I have 'pushed', let me add. At no point was I required to start another 12 month contract with Sky for the Sky+ or the use of it's facilites. Neither have my friends or family who have done just the same, from various companies.

I am not 'pushing' a site - merely stating that they claim to be able to supply a Sky+ system 'contract free' Others do just the same - the one you gave a link to, however, does not.

It is my understanding that if you buy a non-subsidised system you do not have to sign a 12 month contract with Sky. As I said previously, I didn't. This has been confirmed - by Sky!

But The only requirement in the 'T&C's' for Sky+ is that you subscribe to at least one premium channel, or pay £10 a month for the Sky+ features. We all agree to these conditions when the recording facility is activated. This, however does not form a contract. I cannot clarify any further the contract issue. It's you who claim there is a contract!

Starburst, you are obviously a very knowledgeable chap and are always helpful. It's a shame you seem to have a problem with my point. It has been made truthfully, without 'twisting words', 'omitting facts' and with no bias towards any third party.

If you choose not to believe me, that's up to you.

I still respect your opinion.

Art.

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    My experience pretty much mirrors your own.
    Had SKY D installed in 1998, upgraded to SKY+ at launch in 2001, bought from Currys and installed by an independent installer (£325 in total, saved £25 by going outside of SKY).
    However the fact that I didn't have to sign any further contract does not mean I am not bound by the T&C's of the SKY+ service which include a 12 month minimum subscription term.
    Applying and paying for the SKY+ service is a legal acknowledgment of acceptance of the T&C's.

It may be that you are blissfully unaware of the T&C's and were never verbally informed at the time you activated the SKY+ but the minimum term is there and anyone visiting the SKY+ website can read the T&C's themselves.

You are correct about buying a non-subsidised standard SKY digibox, you do not need a phone connection nor are you bound by any T&C's that deal with minimum subscription terms, I never questioned that and wasn't aware we were talking about a standard digibox and since SKY+ has never been offered under the Interactive Discount scheme it is perhaps confusing the issue in mentioning it.

As for waiving the £10 monthly fee it's not one Premium channels it's a minimum of two Premium channels (SP1, SP2, SM1 or SM2) any two from four gets you the SKY+ service thrown in.

:laugh:
    Check the second post of this thread, you mention a non contract SKY+ so if there is a state of no contract surely that means a contract exists in the first place otherwise there wouldn't be an option to have a non contract one.
    Since you claim there is non contract SKY+ for sale from the company you mention how can you then claim it's me that was first to mention this mysterious contract?
    You can't have it both ways:)

As for believing you well I don't think of you as a liar however I do believe you are not aware of the T&C's of the SKY+ service you pay for and what there legal status is. You wouldn't have signed new paperwork but using the SKY+ service commits you to certain payments and length of service, in other words a contract exists between you and SKY.

I suspect most of the confusion created in this thread is down to the simple case of how we both define the term contract in relation to the SKY+ service.

17. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Here endeth the lecture in UK law by Starburst. :boring:

18. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Ah well, I thought we were having a reasonable discussion that had a relevance to the services people on these forums pay for but apparently not:(
    Reassuring to know that when people can no longer offer a constructive response their true colours are revealed.

19. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I could carry on all day, my friend.

However, I can see no point in wasting any more of my valuable time arguing with a man who won't accept he could be wrong.

20. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    You probably won't reply, come to think of it you probably won't even read it but what the hell.........
    :)

Exactly what could I be wrong about?
    SKY+ useage terms and conditions?
    Buying SKY+ from a non SKY source?
    Using SKY+ without paying for the SKY+ service?

I really do not know why you still can't see the wood for the trees, SKY+ requires a subscription to allow recording so if you buy it from the website you are so fond of promoting (while posting negative responses about anyother offering SKY+) you need to contact SKY and have it activated.

SKY+ regardless from where it is bought requires activation by SKY and thus money changes hand for the service and by doing so you accept the T&C's which include a 12 month minimum term (unless you have already completed that term by using a previously owned SKY+).

You state that a certain online retailer who claim you have nothing to do with sells non-contract SKY+ units, that may be true but if you want the SKY+ to record programming then it has to be activated and therefore we are back to being tied to a subscription contract with SKY.
    If you have no interest in using the SKY+ service (just want the optical output for example) or already have a SKY+ subscription then the website you mention is perfectly correct in stating "No new subscription required - no minimum contract".

Now if I am wrong please explain where.
    If I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick and we are talking about two different circumstances then clarify the situation please.

21. Lawe

Lawe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As someone who is cares and not taking sides, I see it as this:

You can buy a Sky + box without having a contract and being shackled to the phone for 12 months, but you could only use it as normal digibox with the only plus side of being able to pipe Dolby to your amp.

If you subscribe to at least 2 premium channels then you can then use the recording part of Sky + for "free" but if you subscribe to the basic packages and are wanting to use the recording facility then you must pay Sky there fee.

As far as I am concerned, this fee is a "contract" between Sky and yourself for the use of Sky + of which they deduct the monies from your chosen payment method.

When you first join Sky with there free packages, yes there is a solid contact between you and Sky. After that period, the contract can be changed with the channels you wish to subscribe to. Note that if you want to deduct a package or channel, then Sky require at least a Months notice. To me this is within the T&C's and is also a part of the contract between the two parties.

If there was another way of getting Sky + for free then alot of people, including myself, would have done along time ago. Instead I am tied to a 12 Month contract for upgrading to Sky + but I really enjoy using Sky + and what a life saver it is.

We all learn new things in our lifes and I for one, like to share and help others with what I have learnt. If improvements can be made with what we know or can be corrected then great, but please tell us the full facts so we can really understand and then of course teach others who are starting out, in this case, the AV world. :thumbsup:

Now, if this helps, I will buy the first :beer: and we can all have a good laugh :D

22. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Starburst -

1. I am not 'posting negative responses' about any website. I have posted links to a few in an attempt to help people. Isn't that why we're here - to help each other? You just don't seem to be able to accept the fact that you were wrong about the one you posted a link to.

2. Sky+ terms and conditions - if they aren't presented to you in writing or explained to you on the phone when you activate your card - which they aren't - you can't be bound by them.

3. I stand corrected - you must have two premium channels to avoid the extra £10 a month, not one. Did you get that? I was wrong - and I'm man enough to admit it.

Must go now, I'm going to play out.

23. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,392
    If Arthur and Starburst got chatting in a pub about this you'd be buying eachother drinks and enjoying a conversation with someone with VERY similar interests.

You'd probably agree to disagree at some point re the legalities.
    But because this is a rather anonymous forum, it's easier to get 'forum rage' and be somewhat more curt than you would in real life.

Guys, lets chill out and try and find an answer for the sake of everyone who searches the forums and finds this thread in the future. Then maybe we can create a definitive post which acts as a useful FAQ on the subject.

Lets not argue, please. Lets find out what the facts are.

24. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    No worries:)
    You are correct that a face to face chat would probably have sorted out any conflicting views or simple misunderstandings very quickly and it's very easy to get wrapped up in a never ending trade in posts that achieve very little except to muddy the waters further to any casual reader.

No offence was meant to Arthur and I certainly want to keep the forum friendly and continue to contribute if I have useful input and no matter what I personally think I should not have made any sort of accusation even in a back handed manner on the open forum.
    :nono:

25. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    No offence taken. :thumbsup:

I'm happy to leave it at that.

Can we be friends again now?!!! :lease: