Where are all the JRPGs?!

Widge

Seriously can't believe there aren't any around, and I have a big ? as to when any are going to surface.

360 has another one announced for it this September

By far, they are my favourite type of game and usually a good old FF is enough to sell a system to me, but tell you what, Mr MS is really getting a good fat wadge of tempting titles on board. If a suceeding console has a quiet fan and a bluray in it, autobuy of a PS4 may not be a certainty! ;)

What is there to look forward to on the horizon at the moment for PS3 jRPGland?

Wamphyri

White Knight Chronicles looks tasty. Not sure when it is due for release but it should be before FF13.

iddqd

Due to the scale of RPG's they take longer to appear on consoles, you'll see very few within the first year or so of a consoles life. They took a while to start appearing on PS2 and 360.

Supposedly this year :-

Disgaea 3
Valkyria Chronicles
Eternal Sonata

Then there is Last Remnant, FFXIII, Versus XIII, White Knight Story.

End of 2008 onwards looks good for PS3 RPG's.

The 360 is definately my RPG player at the moment though.

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
Valkyria Chronicles looks quite good. Highly strategic in my opinion, definately worth checking out.

morb666

Disgaea 3 is not a JRPG it's a strategy RPG (A good one I'll admit but it's not the same thing)

Also announcement made yesterday that there are no plans to release Eternal Sonata outside of Japan so that's another one off the list.

I'm sure when they come they will be worth the wait but I'm gagging to get my hands on a true, next gen, PS3, Turn Based JRPG....

...filling the time by catching up with some PS2 RPG's...Wild Arms 4 next on the list....

ProphetRNG

Hate to say it but they are on 360 lol

Sony really need to get these games out!

Though if you have a 360 I can recommend Lost Odyssey as a worth while purchase, I have also finished Blue Dragon which was good.

Widge

Lost Oddessy and the forthcoming Square Enix one look quite nice.

Not so hot on this Valkyria thats coming out on the PS3. Seen a vid of the opening 10 mins and the cel shaded battle areas seem a bit boxy, devoid of detail and life... plus not too sure about this entire tactics meets FPS strategy combat engine.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Lost Oddessy and the forthcoming Square Enix one look quite nice.

Lost Odyssey is exclusive to the 360 as it's developed by Mistwalker and published by MS. Infinite Undiscovery is being developed and published by Square Enix but is also at least right now exclusive to the 360. Last Remnant is another one by Square Enix but is going to appear on both the 360 and PS3. Star Ocean 4 has been announced for the PS3 by Square Enix and of course they have the various FF XIII games in development for the PS3 too.

Moogle

Distinguished Member

runam0k

There's a 360 JRPG announcement tomorrow, apparently. Wonder what it will be?

I've never done an RPG (even avoided Oblivion, etc) but I think I should, before it's too late (ever decreasing amount of time for gaming).

If you could only play one RPG, on PS3 or 360... ?

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
There's a 360 JRPG announcement tomorrow, apparently. Wonder what it will be?

I've never done an RPG (even avoided Oblivion, etc) but I think I should, before it's too late (ever decreasing amount of time for gaming).

If you could only play one RPG, on PS3 or 360... ?

Personally I loved Mass Effect. Sure the locations can be a bit samey, but the story sucks you in and the characters are great. The combat was pretty good as well IMO and the game looks fantastic! I also prefer my Sci Fi stuff to my Orcs, Elves and Wizard stuff! :)

I'm looking forward to FFXIII though and that will probably be the next one I get. That said, saw Lost Odyssey for around £16 the other day so was tempted. I've got too many games going on at the moment though and MGS4 arrives this week :eek:.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Apparently at least for now Star Ocean is only set to appear on the 360. Infinite Undiscovery is a 360 exclusive as previously announced by Square Enix. Last Remnant whilst being developed for both PS3 and 360 is apparently being released on the 360 first with no PS3 release date as of yet.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=148787

iddqd

360 is definately becoming the RPG machine. This August onwards it will see Fable 2, Fallout 3, Infinite Undiscovery and Tales of Vesperia. There is also Disgaea 3 and Valkyria Chronicles coming for PS3 around that time aswell, so the last 4 or so months of the year are going to be pretty special for RPG fans. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom