• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Where are all the DTS-HD 3D Bluray players?!

avi8tor

Standard Member
Hi guys.

New user here but long time browser of the forums.
I've just bought a new Samsung F8000 3D TV to replace my old Pioneer 506.
As its my first venture into 3D I thought I'd also replace my Blu-ray player too.
I had been using a Pioneer LX-08 outputting DTS-HD connected to a DTS-HD Amp which worked great.
However now that I'm searching for a new 3D Blu-ray player I cant seem to find many that output DTS-HD - At least looking at the feature specs?
I've seen a few Pioneer units but I don't really have a lot of faith in that company (rightly or wrongly) the way they just dropped their TV division a few years ago.
I know some of the higher end (Cambridge Audio etc) do DTS-HD but this time around I was hoping to keep the budget to under £250 for a player?
Audio is just as important to me as a great picture - Thanks in advance for any help!
Cheers

dante01

Distinguished Member
It would be very unusual for a player not to have onboard decoding for either Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio or indeed the ability to bitstream such formats via HDMI.

Chances are that any player you buy today will have these capabilities.

avi8tor

Standard Member
Dante, Thanks for the response and that was my thinking, however it just seems strange to me that none of the feature specifications on various online retail site mention DTS-HD.
I guess when I got my previous player DTS-HD was still very much a desirable option!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Dante, Thanks for the response and that was my thinking, however it just seems strange to me that none of the feature specifications on various online retail site mention DTS-HD.
I guess when I got my previous player DTS-HD was still very much a desirable option!

I can only suggest you look at the specs as listed by the manufacturers on their sites rather than looking at the retailers. I'd also suggest you download the relevant manuals for the models you are interested in. When you find a player you like the look of then you can always make doubly sure of its capabilities by posting and asking here ;)

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Prominent Member
I've just bought a Panasonic DMP-BDT120 for under £80 that decodes all the formats (including DTS-HD) and also has multi-region DVD.

My view (just getting my flame proof suit on) is that decent blu-ray players have pretty much become a cheap commodity product and unless you have special requirements such as SACD/DVD-A playback or analogue outs (which would require higher quality DACS) you are probably wasting your money buying anything significantly more expensive than something like this.

I'm more than happy with this unit, and for that sort of outlay you would have plenty of your £250 budget left over for Blu-ray rentals/purchases.

Last edited:

DrP

Established Member
i've just bought a panasonic dmp-bdt120 for under £80 that decodes all the formats (including dts-hd) and also has multi-region dvd.

My view (just getting my flame proof suit on) is that decent blu-ray players have pretty much become a cheap commodity product and unless you have special requirements such as sacd/dvd-a playback or analogue outs (which would require higher quality dacs) you are probably wasting your money buying anything significantly more expensive than something like this.

I'm more than happy with this unit, and for that sort of outlay you would have plenty of your £250 budget left over for blu-ray rentals/purchases.

+1

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom