Where am I going wrong..???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Ade_J, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Ade_J

Ade_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

I bought the Ebuyer offer last week of a Sony PFM-42V1N and Toshiba SD63-HK home cinema.

The inputs on the panel are composite, s-video, YUV/RGB d-sub.

Heeding the advice off here I didn't want to rely on the composite input having put that much money into a screen so I got a SCART > S-video cable but only got a black and white image.

So I got the syncmaster RGB > VGA cable thinking I shouldnt have skimped in the first place but this gives me the poorest rolling picture yet.

And on the composite signal the picture resizes with an inch or so dark band on the left and/or top appearing and disappearing about 2-3 times a minute which is driving me nuts. (Amp output and screen display size both set to 16:9, both tried at 4:3e, auto wide tried on and off etc etc etc)

I can't find any technical support for this model on either the UK or global Sony sites so any suggestions would be VERY much appreciated!!!

2. BertM

BertM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The black and white signal from the scart-to-svideo indicates that the cable or scart output isn't fully wired. Svideo should carry the Y (luminance, "black&white" signal) and a colour component wire. Apparently the colour wire is missing in your situation, OR the scart output of your video source doesn't carry this signal.

When browsing through the messages on this forum you often see a JS Technology RGB to VGA converter mentioned to be connected between scart output and VGA in put socket of the plasma. Your RGB to VGA cable probably only connects the three separate colour signals to the appropriate pins on the VGA plug, but doesn't connect the synchronisation signals correctly. Normally RGB from scart delivers a RGBs signal, where synchronisation is taken from the composite video signal. A VGA input requires separate horizontal and vertical synch inputs, so you need some electronics to convert the synchronisation in the composite video signal to separate H and V-synch signals. This is what the JS box does.

You can check the panel by connecting your PC to the VGA socket. Many VGA display cards support 852 * 480 pixel mode. This is an easy way to check whether the plasma is defect or not.

good luck
    Bert

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    This just isn't so. A scart to s-video lead simply does not make an s-video signal. The scart has to be s-video capable, and usually set in a menu to output s-video. Then you will get colour.
    The syncmaster does exactly the same as a JS box, just not quite as well. The problem there is that the cheap electronics in the Sony plasmas do not allow sync at 15.625Khz, which is what comes out of a converted scart RGB signal. So it will never work. Your best option is a component converter, this gives you the YUV signal, this the screen will accept. You may find the colours are screwed up there too, but this is corrected in the screen menu by telling it you are sending a component or YUV signal, instead of RGB.
    Connecting the screen to a PC/laptop would make sure it's working, though I have little doubt that it is. Almost any PC resolution will give you a picture, just to check. XGA is a widely accepted one to start with, then get a bit cleverer if you want to pursue it.

4. Ade_J

Ade_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering about a dodgy connection in the scart>s-video cable - it's an RGB scart output so the colour is there but just not getting through - but I don't have anything else to hand with an s-video input to test it on...!

As for the syncblaster cable it is described as "Incorporates a full functional sync separator and amplifier" - hence my frustration as I found out about it off this forum!

I will keep trying..

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    RGB colour does not make s-video!!!!!!!!

There's nothing wrong with the synchblaster, it's the screen that can't deal with the sync frequency. Have a look at jstechnology.com he has a compatibility chart on there which will be exactly the same as your synchblaster. The Sony needs 31Khz, it's not getting it from a scart socket.

Edit: John lists Sony as compatible. Not the ones I have seen. Maybe his comments about other products' deficiencies could be the cause of the rolling picture.

6. Ade_J

Ade_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MAW it was the horizontal scan rate figures I have been trying to get out of Sony - along with why the screen is resizing itself on composite.

I can get a YUV converter (wonder if Maplin will swap my vga converter!) but it ouputes in phono plugs and the input on the screen is d-sub - unless I replace the input board but to be honest I'm getting fed up of throwing money at this already!

What's your opinion on a proper RGB > S-video converter?

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    An RGB to s-video converter will work, yes. The component converter is 'better', there is more info in the signal, but s-video is often nothing to be ashamed of.

8. Ade_J

Ade_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh i'd rather go for the component converter - it's just plugging that signal into the plasma that's the problem!

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You cn buy a lead that's 3 phono to 15 pin. I stock them, but not really set up for mail order. Try the Keene banner or if you can't see it get it from the list of advertisers.

10. BertM

BertM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, MAW. I think I meant to say something like this. But indeed "Not wired" and "Not capable" are two different things.

BTW, when you say the Sony doesn't accept 15.625 kHz, do you think it will work with RGB to component? Then the line frequency will still be 15.625 and interlaced, not? I thought VGA inputs are normally progressive scan inputs, so when the source doesnt output 576p it won't work with component either. Or am I missing something (probably do...)
    So the best solution will be the RGB to s-video converter, I think.

Bert

11. Ade_J

Ade_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    <puts down the phone to Maplin> :)

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Component should work, it's just the same as interlaced component from a DVD player. If that wouldn't work you might well be a bit upset!

13. Ade_J

Ade_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given how much I've thrown at cables and a converter so far it would be a lot more than a 'bit' !

14. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    "15 PIN D Two way signal 3 X PHONO" from http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.asp?dept_id=202 (Third from bottom)

I use that cable to connect my amps component YUV out to my Pannny (15 pin DSub with component YUV input support).

Extremly happy with the picture.

15. Ade_J

Ade_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I'd just found that one! But before I go buying more cables and another converter is there any way to check that this picture shifting is due to the input signal or some obscure setting I am missing rather than a panel fault?

16. Ade_J

Ade_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else had picture jumping an inch to the left?

17. mberger

mberger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also purchased one of these "too-good-to-be-true" deals from eBuyer. Very disappointed that there is no SCART connector on this model TV. As a newbie I felt eBuyer did not give this info up front - beware of their specials!!

Anyway, I plugged in the Hitachi Home Cinema & DVd and connected DVD to the Sony TV via S-video cable. I got a lovely, clear picture! no rolling or any other strange behaviour described in this thread. Only quirk is that I cannot get a full screen - when playing DVD's there is a thin band of unused space at top & bottom of screen. switching between 4:3 and 16:9 modes does not fix this.

Questions:

1) Can anyone please tell me if using a SCART-to-VGA (15-pin DSUB) connector like the Syncblaster (from Maplins or Keene) will work ? Will it give a better picture than the the S-video connector ?
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=37141&doy=

2) I have not yet been able to connect a standard TV antenna cable to this Plasma TV (PFM-42V1N). The 1st input is VGA (15-pin D-sub) and the 2nd input is either S-Video or Composite (bayonet style connector).

Thanks

Malcolm

18. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    1) If you have a DVD player that can send progressive RGB via SCART (I know that a cheap Amstrad I bought for my mother can) then it should be OK connecting this to VGA, although I am not sure about sync...maybe your Plasma is smart enought to take 15 khz interlaced via VGA-in in which case a standard SCART RGB DVD is sufficient...RGB or component Y/Pr/Pb is always better than anything else...

2) Well, check the specs whether your Plasma has a built-in tuner...antenna cable only goes into RF connector (tuner), and if you cannot find it on the Plsma set then you'll have to buy a separate TV tuner or use your VCR as one...